[OLD]Tundra Exploration

tygoo7

Is there a reason why the capsule seems so draggy? I am having serious issues of landing 1/4 of the way behind where i want to land. Even with Trajectories, the undershooting because of drag there is is horrible. Tilting the capsule to try and generate lift like a lifting body does the opposite :/

I will be streaming in about 30 minutes or so. Finally have some time to get back to work on this.

On 8/2/2016 at 0:58 AM, StickyScissors said:

Is there a reason why the capsule seems so draggy? I am having serious issues of landing 1/4 of the way behind where i want to land. Even with Trajectories, the undershooting because of drag there is is horrible. Tilting the capsule to try and generate lift like a lifting body does the opposite :/

It could be some aero changes or something and I might still have to balance it. Is this with the Rodan? If so, a revamp is in progress.

On 7/29/2016 at 2:09 AM, plausse said:

If you keep the heatshield as a separate part it's till possible to work around the pesky smokescreen bug too..

The bug where the effects disappear on revert or something? 

1 minute ago, tygoo7 said:

It could be some aero changes or something and I might still have to balance it. Is this with the Rodan? If so, a revamp is in progress.

Yes, the Rodan, i haven't used the cargo variant at all. The "tilt the capsule to generate a bit of lift" works decently in FAR, but FAR is being mean to other, more important mods than itself so i can't/don't use it for the time being. 

More WIP

piW5e9.jpg 

So turns out I didn't have the longest time to stream tonight, BUT I will be streaming for around 4 to 5 hours tomorrow starting at 7pm CST. I hope to get the entirety of texturing done, including the trunk. 

Edited by tygoo7

Alright so, I pretty much finished everything relating textures and animations. Just a couple things to touch up on, (darkness of engines and shield, RCS textures, ect.) but other than that, the next major step is to put this thing through Unity and get it in KSP. I will release Betas kind of like how BDB is doing with their Apollo since I have the Cargo Dragon, IVA, and Falcon 9 revamp left to do.

WEhQ1D.jpg 

gvkDHT.jpg

On 07/08/2016 at 2:25 AM, tygoo7 said:

The bug where the effects disappear on revert or something? 

Yes! I could be wrong but I think it applies to any engine (that uses smokescreen) that is the root part. By making an uncontrollable and unengined part root (like the heatshield) you can work around this... limitation.

Also:

I am VERY excited about the new models/textures. Thanks dude. 

20 hours ago, plausse said:

Yes! I could be wrong but I think it applies to any engine (that uses smokescreen) that is the root part. By making an uncontrollable and unengined part root (like the heatshield) you can work around this... limitation.

Also:

I am VERY excited about the new models/textures. Thanks dude. 

Yeah it's just a bug with the engines being the root part. Speaking of heatshields...here's a look at the new heatshield and landing legs.

BmvZPr.jpg

BxHlQK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

it may have been mentioned before, but I have a hard time getting kerbals to board after Eva. The door seems to be at the window and the ladder is slippery causing kerbals to slide off it.

otherwise: awesome mod. Dragon competes with the Orion capsule just as in real live

Can you please create a solid trunks as an external fuel tank for both capsules?

Also, I want to use the current trunk as an external fuel tank but I fuel is not shared. I have had to make manual adjustments in the config file to but I cannot get the fuel to flow automatically and it has to be transfered manually. A pain in game.

Do you think you could create a Firefly replica? It is a rocket in development by Firefly systems. Uses an aerospike nozzle.

Looking very good. If that wasn't the final design for the Dragon 2 capsule you showed, could you take the lines off? It kind of looks like it's been cut into pieces. Just a suggestion. :) 

On 8/31/2016 at 10:36 AM, Duski said:

Looking very good. If that wasn't the final design for the Dragon 2 capsule you showed, could you take the lines off? It kind of looks like it's been cut into pieces. Just a suggestion. :) 

The point of the lines is to keep it stock-a-like, so the part can work with any other stock part in the game and not look out of place. If you look at the mk 1-2 pod it has lines, as well as the wings etc:P

1 hour ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

The point of the lines is to keep it stock-a-like, so the part can work with any other stock part in the game and not look out of place. If you look at the mk 1-2 pod it has lines, as well as the wings etc:P

Oh. I guess i'm just not used to seeing them. if there are ones on the Mk1-2 pod, they aren't very noticeable. :) 

On 8/6/2016 at 8:25 PM, tygoo7 said:
On 8/2/2016 at 0:58 AM, StickyScissors said:

There is definitely something wrong with the aero on the Rodan with its heatshield. The drag from reentry from LKO seems too high, similar to when I have a capsule do a direct descent from a Jool return. Turning to create lift causes two lift vectors, and the one going the opposite of what it should tends to be greater in my experience, causing the opposite change in your trajectory than it should. You can see it if you turn on the aero overlay (F12 by default, I think).

Spoiler

TxXUrZ6.jpgUBC5Cx1.jpgHPfzi5A.jpg

Edited by Micro753

Haven't checked on this in awhile, but hopefully @tygoo7 is up to some great revamp work.

Will the Cargo Dragon or the Falcon get a revamp too? The cargo bay on the Cargo Dragon fits weird; it has gaps on the corners where the rectangle doesn't match the circle shape of the pod, which looks like it'd catch a lot of air and drag. Plus, I think the solar panels and the fairings should have nodes to attach them on so that it all fits better and properly. Currently, solar panels don't seem to centre properly, and second, the panel fairings don't entirely cover them.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Hey,

Just a question, but will the revamped Dragon 2 be 3.75m? Please do make it that or even make them able to scale in between 2.5m and 3.75m would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod! I've been meaning to try it out and I finally downloaded it yesterday. The Falcon 9 parts fit really well with my own Dragon / CRS mod. :)

I really like the Rosetta/Philae parts, however I think it would be easier to attach them together if Philae had an attachment point on its "face," so that it can piggy back on Rosetta via a radial decoupler. I plan to mess with the CFG in my own install after work today. 

Just wanted to drop some fan mail! This mod in particular got me back into KSP over the weekend, so many thanks!

Cheers -

On 9/9/2016 at 4:08 AM, Duski said:

Hey,

Just a question, but will the revamped Dragon 2 be 3.75m? Please do make it that or even make them able to scale in between 2.5m and 3.75m would be great.

All the KSP command pods that are based on real ones are smaller than their real-world counterparts, since Kerbals are smaller than humans.  I'd rather have internal consistency than real-world accuracy.

6 hours ago, SilverlightPony said:

All the KSP command pods that are based on real ones are smaller than their real-world counterparts, since Kerbals are smaller than humans.  I'd rather have internal consistency than real-world accuracy.

I guess you're right. As I just came upon realisation that the real Orion is 5m in diameter and it's 3.75m with SSTU Labs. Guess I can scale them down. :)