[OLD]Tundra Exploration

tygoo7

On 07/07/2016 at 9:55 PM, tygoo7 said:

I think that is an issue with RealPlume but I may be wrong. 

The issue is actually with smokescreen, which realplume uses, with root parts. Since the capsule is usually the root part, the bug takes effect after a scene change.

Been working on attempting a build and I am trying (without success) to find a "2.5m" fuel-tank that is small enough to squeeze inside the Rodan's unpressurized cargo-trunk, so I can fit a LFO engine in. I'm also trying to use the Universal Storage Octocore to carry life-support supplies in that cargo-trunk, particularly the Sabatier Reactor which takes hydrogen and carbon-dioxide, and consumes electric charge to convert them to water and liquid-fuel, so i could start with the liquid-fuel portion of the LFO engines' fuel-tank empty if it's not to see use until much later in flight, as then the Sabatier Reactor would have time to generate the liquid-fuel to go with the oxidizer carried along.

On 7/7/2016 at 4:55 PM, tygoo7 said:

Are you using any other mods?

Several.  Here's a pastebin with my modlist.  IIRC the problem existed when I tried it without Community Tech Tree as well, but I don't recall which other mods were installed when I tried that.

On 7/7/2016 at 4:55 PM, tygoo7 said:

I'll look into the bit about the fuel type.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, tygoo7 said:

I will be streaming tomorrow around 10am CST development of the next update and lots of bug squashing. Part of the new roadmap is posted in OP if anyone wants to take a gander at it.

YAS

5 minutes ago, tygoo7 said:

I will be streaming tomorrow around 10am CST development of the next update and lots of bug squashing. Part of the new roadmap is posted in OP if anyone wants to take a gander at it.

YAS

30 minutes ago, akron said:

Those RCS ports are worthy of being modeled into the mesh, as opposed to just a texture :wink: Nice job so far!

I think if there's a normal map they'll be fine. The dragon RCS are basically just holes without a surrounding structure iirc, so unless he does a boolean it prolly wouldn't work.

Edited by CobaltWolf

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think if there's a normal map they'll be fine. The dragon RCS are basically just holes without a surrounding structure iirc, so unless he does a boolean it prolly wouldn't work.

A normal map might do but I think a mesh could have a better result because the RCS structure looks deeper than the +/- that the normal can give. At least for the RCS that aren't mounted on the Superdraco housing

3iXRCU5.jpg

Edited by akron

3 hours ago, tygoo7 said:

@akron I'll look into it. I'll probably use a boolean modifier since I'm not sure how well a normal map would work in that scenario.

I just finally understand what a boolean modifier is. I don't use Blender. Yes, this is what I meant and should work. The added geometry will create a better in-game render of light/shadow areas around the RCS. :)

The "dirty" sort of look seems just a little overdone on what you showed there. Something like Beale grey--Tygoo white--seems like the best way to go with this in my opinion. The wear should be in logical places; look at the Mk2 parts. The edges of your paneling has too much wear which highlights the panels, and make the overall appearance less smooth. I'd definitely suggest taking design motifs from Tantares too. Finally, hopefully the resolution will be upped from the old version and it will have normalmaps. One thing that bothered me most about the old texture was that the heat shield looked flat when highlighted.

As for the model, two suggestions: first, make sure the top is flat. It was at an angle before, so docking ports other than stock (like Tantares) had a gap. Also, I would personally integrate the heat shield into the pod because it's cleaner.

Sorry for the barrage of suggestions, but I just wanted to chip in my two cents. I'm really looking forward to this!

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@tygoo7I think the white needs to be brighter though. It looks maybe a little too dirty.

Yeah, it does look somewhat too dirty.

6 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

The "dirty" sort of look seems just a little overdone on what you showed there. Something like Beale grey--Tygoo white--seems like the best way to go with this in my opinion. The wear should be in logical places; look at the Mk2 parts. The edges of your paneling has too much wear which highlights the panels, and make the overall appearance less smooth. I'd definitely suggest taking design motifs from Tantares too. Finally, hopefully the resolution will be upped from the old version and it will have normalmaps. One thing that bothered me most about the old texture was that the heat shield looked flat when highlighted.

As for the model, two suggestions: first, make sure the top is flat. It was at an angle before, so docking ports other than stock (like Tantares) had a gap. Also, I would personally integrate the heat shield into the pod because it's cleaner.

Sorry for the barrage of suggestions, but I just wanted to chip in my two cents. I'm really looking forward to this!

On the topic of texture: The wear is a bit overdone and I'll take a second look at it and make it more logical. The current map is 512x512 so it is actually lower, but these new textures will have a normal map and specular layer so that will make it look better.

On the topic of model: This top is indeed flat. I'm not so sure about integrating the heatshield because of animation reasons but we will see.

No problem about suggestions! :) 

On 7/21/2016 at 11:58 PM, tygoo7 said:

On the topic of texture: The wear is a bit overdone and I'll take a second look at it and make it more logical. The current map is 512x512 so it is actually lower, but these new textures will have a normal map and specular layer so that will make it look better.

On the topic of model: This top is indeed flat. I'm not so sure about integrating the heatshield because of animation reasons but we will see.

You should definitely make it a 1k texture. It's the centrepiece of the mod.

I learned that integrating the heatshield is a bad idea. It makes it so the heating animations don't work properly.