[1.1] QuantumStrutsContinued 1.6 - Magical Struts for Rigidifying Outside the VAB!

toadicus

• 2 weeks later...

Did they ever make KAS struts rigid enough to actually work? I've always used an original version of quantum struts pre 0.9 that I kept working myself. I'll definitely be installing this version and giving it a try.

~Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Kolago, I'll try to look in to that soon. Realistically it won't be sooner than two weeks, on account of some summer vacations.

TheCardinal, struts can't be lengthened while active, but if you deactivate the strut, change your geometry, and reactivate it, the strut will then be longer or shorter as necessary. If you're talking about maximum length, I confess I'm not familiar with that part of the code base. That said, I do know there's no user-side tweak for it.

Theoretically it should be possible to even make a tweakable slider, even a set of sliders, to modify how the struts work which could include maximum length. However, in my experience, the struts seem to have near unlimited length compared to the maximum side of a craft in the editor areas. I've never had an issue where a quantum couldn't connect to a part no matter what length.

What I could wish for would be a more precise way to connect the quantum, similar to how standard struts are connected. Sometimes getting the right angle for the strut origin can be a major pain.

I guess I'll have to do some code digging again. I never did look at the quantum source.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a problem with the parts not showing in career mode and changed the "TechRequired = advScienceTech" parameter in the config of the parts to "TechRequired = specializedConstruction" to solve it.

Probably any other node of the tech tree would be valid, but for some reason "advScienceTech" didn't worked for me even after use cheats to re-research it or reload all the nodes.

Migth be only in my install, but I post this in case other people get the same problem.

Edited by Urgante

• 1 month later...

@toadicus I see someone else was discussing this above, but I would love quantum struts to be longer. They aren't unlimited. I am trying to build a b52 so my wings are 2 of the largest b9 Pwings I can make and the struts don't reach from the fuselage out to the second wing panel. With longer struts this mod would be perfect! Thanks!

Edited by Svm420

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hopefully I'm not repeating anything but... I've noticed the strut gun will not show the "strut" in the proper place when moving at a high rate of speed. Here's a video with an example. The refueling boom is secured back to the tankers tail with two strut guns and the fuel boom extension is secured to the Tweakscaled b9 intake with one. You can see all 3 of them hovering just behind the fuel boom. If you activate a strut gun at a stand still, the strut is right where it should be. But start moving and it begins to be pulled straight back and begin to float. The connection is still ridged as it should be but its a little bit of a visual bug. Could be related to drag.... If I find anything I will pass it along.

https://youtu.be/i2k19UHm7n8

Edited by V8jester

• 2 weeks later...

When using Quantum Struts, there is a little white message in the bottom right of my screen showing debug messages of QuantumStruts.

Also my game log gets spammed with the same messages like (when I'm in editor)

[Log]: QuantumStrut: Checking bailing out: in the editor!

Or when I launch the ship, disable / enable a Quantum Strut:

[Log]: QuantumStrut: Strut all done!
[Log]: QuantumStrut: Checking for ray hit.
[Log]: QuantumStrut: Enabled, continuing.

?!?!

Edited by nuclearping

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I found something that explains why the strut gun will misalign the strut while at speed.

- From the BD Armory thread -

"You just have to uncheck "Simulate World Space" in the editor for things like muzzle flashes that you don't want trailing in the wind.  There's a bug in the KSPParticleEmitter script so in unity it looks like it's not pointing the right direction, but as long as it looks right with Simulate World Space checked, it will look right in game with it unchecked, and the particles will stay relative to the local space of the emitter."

On January 25, 2016 at 11:43 AM, toadicus said:

The log spam is just some debug code that got left on and shouldn't affect gameplay at all.  Is it slowing things down in Windows?

It doesn't seem to slow things down. But in my case that white message perfectly covers the part count in the editor. So the only way I know how many parts I'm using on a craft, is to check in the craft load list.

I have the same issue any idea where to turn this off?

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

I think I found something that explains why the strut gun will misalign the strut while at speed.

- From the BD Armory thread -

"You just have to uncheck "Simulate World Space" in the editor for things like muzzle flashes that you don't want trailing in the wind.  There's a bug in the KSPParticleEmitter script so in unity it looks like it's not pointing the right direction, but as long as it looks right with Simulate World Space checked, it will look right in game with it unchecked, and the particles will stay relative to the local space of the emitter."

Edited by Dworf
fixed quote

2 hours ago, Dworf said:

I have the same issue any idea where to turn this off?

This is a setup parameter in Unity when you first build the part. So this would need Toadicus' attention. For now The pros far outweigh the cons. I can deal with floaty lines if it means my folding wings, ramps and payloads don't flex like a wet noodle :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey toadicus,

I have this issue with the Quantum Struts Continued 1.5. When in flight 

im using the 64bit of KSP not sure if this is the cause: strut gun will not show the "strut" in the proper place when moving at a high rate of speed

check the video:

thanks

@Dworf, I think that's probably the same thing that @V8jester was talking about a few posts up.  That's something that's probably going to take me a bit to get to; I'm not actually much of a part author and didn't create these parts in the first place -- I'm really just maintaining the plugin part of things to keep it nominally working.  So, I'll need to dust off a Unity install and see if I can get the parts imported and try to figure out how to uncheck that "Simulate World Space" widget.  If anybody here is a part maker or otherwise knows how to use the Unity editor better than I do and wants to help out, I'll gladly accept. :)