[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Hey,

so, i just starte Using RO with RSS an RP0, an have 2 questions

- i use US Probes and US Rockets - the Probe are all RO but ale the Rocket Parts(Aerobee, Scout...) are labeld non-RP-0 and in a special Tab (with the nuclear symbol) -> ist that an error on my side?

- when it comes to probes and Guidance Units - for Rockets i need to use guidance units to controll them ok, so far so good. But all the small Probes like Explorer or Pioneer are labled as Science Core which meens that i cant controll them after seperation of the bigger stages. For example - where am i supposed to add any kind of guidance unit at the Explroer upper stages (1 / 3 / 11 Baby Seargents)

-> so basically how am i supposed to controll the probes without adding a big and heavy guidance unit (which look bad and suck in terms of deltav)?

Hi guys - please add in CKAN indication that RO is not compatible with tweakscale. There is no such information and it took me few hours to pinpoint the problem. Especially since tweakscale is popular requirement for some other mods.

CKAN handles incompatibility quite nice so why not use it :)

Edited by przybysz86

@SaliVaderis it just the RemoteTech antennae or all the parts (e.g. the command pods)?

@Eldradh to answer yout questions:

• The RaiderNick packs were recently re - organized and some parts were renamed. RP-0 has not been updated yet to cover these changes. Also, some of these parts are new and not yet configured for RP-0.
  • These probe cores do not have avionics because they are not supposed to have any. It is up to the booster to get the payload into a predefined trajectory. All early probes were propelled by solid upper stages mounted on spin tables (for stability during the burns). Take a look at the early Explorer and Vanguard missions and how they got their payloads into orbit.

@Phineas Freak It appears that some parts use Watts and others use electric charge. For instance, all the science parts do. As for command pods, they use watts apparently, except the satellites with an antenna, which list the antenna consuption as electric charge/package (although I guess it could be equivalent to watts per package). The cupola observatory module's generator says -12 electric charge/min, but then again it could be 12 watts/minute.

As you mentioned Remote tech (you're probably right about it being the culprit) I looked for a solution for these apparent compatibility issues, but I couldn't find anything :( 

Edited by SaliVader

18 hours ago, littlebuddy0 said:

I have just started an RO RP-0 RSS career, and the plane cockpits mass go up from like 10 tons(way more then mass says) eventually to the mass of 10000 tons and it keeps going up.

littlebuddy0. I had the same problem and it looks like a conflict between RO and kOS. I got rid of kOS and the problem went away

Maybe CKAN should also flag kOS as incompatible with RO...

Edited by RealTimeShepherd

@SaliVadersome parts are not "compatible" yet with the new text formatting options. These include the RT antenna modules, the stock resource converter module and the TACLS converters.

RO uses 1 EC(/s) = 1 kW(h) for the electricity generation/consumption rates so if you see a -12 EC/min then it means a consumption of 12/60 = 0.2 kW (200 W).

2 hours ago, RealTimeShepherd said:

littlebuddy0. I had the same problem and it looks like a conflict between RO and kOS. I got rid of kOS and the problem went away

Maybe CKAN should also flag kOS as incompatible with RO...

(Speaking from the kOS developer slack channel here)  The meaning of the KSP call GetModuleMass() wasn't understood correctly.  We thought it was just moving the mass into a method instead of having it as a field, but other than that keeping it working the same way it used to.  It turns out it also changed the meaning - it's only the mass the module adds to the part, not the mass of the whole part.  We were returning the mass of the whole part.  This meant every time the game called GetModuleMass(), it kept re-adding the kOS module's mass to it again and again, once every physics tick.

It's been fixed in development but not yet released.  We're working on a release we'd like to get out tonight or tomorrow.  When it's available, it should fix this problem.

It should be noted that this problem came from code we copied from other mods.  It may be a good idea to be on the lookout for other mods that do this too.

Hi guys, I just started my very first RO career and i already have my first question^^

whenever I launch something (doesn’t matter if via the runway or the launch pad) at specific launch sites, the vessel is sunk in the runway/launch pad (if I go on EVA, only Jebs head sticks out of the runway). So far I ran into this problem at Cape Canaveral and Kourou, other sites like Wallops are perfectly fine.

Is this a known issue or am I the problem (I installed RSS/RO/RP-0 with CKAN and just added KER)?

I would really appreciate any help as I think landing with this issue would going to be a nightmare^^

There is no hydrazine for RCS? Yes I did try editing the fuel tank from the action groups but hydrazine is not present in that list of fuels. I am not using any non-rp0 parts and have all the required mods.

2 minutes ago, Andretti said:

There is no hydrazine for RCS?

You need a pressurized tank to have hydrazine. Regular tanks (type default, balloon, etc) will not have hydrazine as an option in the Real Fuels GUI, you need a Service module tank.

4 hours ago, cassmssn said:

Hi guys, I just started my very first RO career and i already have my first question^^

whenever I launch something (doesn’t matter if via the runway or the launch pad) at specific launch sites, the vessel is sunk in the runway/launch pad (if I go on EVA, only Jebs head sticks out of the runway). So far I ran into this problem at Cape Canaveral and Kourou, other sites like Wallops are perfectly fine.

Is this a known issue or am I the problem (I installed RSS/RO/RP-0 with CKAN and just added KER)?

I would really appreciate any help as I think landing with this issue would going to be a nightmare^^

Sounds like you haven't installed real solar system?

So I'm trying to test crafts I made in my previous realism series, and started with my first orbit-capable craft.  In 1.0.5, it was steady as a rock in the ascent (as can be seen here: https://youtu.be/B1RMaTW6IDM?t=10m37s), however in 1.1.2, it rolls around my desired heading (I'm using Smart A.S.S during the ascent).  Any ideas what would be causing this behavior?

8 hours ago, cassmssn said:

That's an RSS "issue".  Make sure your terrain detail settings are on the highest they can be.  Otherwise you'll run into that problem.

2 hours ago, rsparkyc said:

So I'm trying to test crafts I made in my previous realism series, and started with my first orbit-capable craft.  In 1.0.5, it was steady as a rock in the ascent (as can be seen here: https://youtu.be/B1RMaTW6IDM?t=10m37s), however in 1.1.2, it rolls around my desired heading (I'm using Smart A.S.S during the ascent).  Any ideas what would be causing this behavior?

Re root your craft, I bet the root node is not central to the craft which is confusing mech jeb.

28 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Mechjebs attitude function don't seem to work for me at all. Always veers off into the wrong direction.

Same to me - somehow - I just have to alter the Final Flight Path Angle sometimes to stay in shape.

3 hours ago, RadarEclipse said:

That's an RSS "issue".  Make sure your terrain detail settings are on the highest they can be.  Otherwise you'll run into that problem.

Hey, thanks for your answer! Unfortunately the terrain details are on their highest settings already.

5 hours ago, Temeter said:

Mechjebs attitude function don't seem to work for me at all. Always veers off into the wrong direction.

Ok, at least it's not just me.

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Same to me - somehow - I just have to alter the Final Flight Path Angle sometimes to stay in shape.

Are you talking about ascent guidance?  I haven't tried that in 1.1.2 yet.

5 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@rsparkyc in MJ's Attitude window, select "Use Stock SAS" - that sometimes works better than MJ's own PID in 1.1.x. It is a known issue that MJ's PID has trouble in 1.1.x it didn't have in 1.0.5.

Strange, MJ worked for me just fine in 1.1.2, while it's basically non-functional in RO.

I've been looking at realism overhaul for a few years but never tried it because of ram issues and problems with mod compatibility.

Now that ksp 64bit is out I want to give it a shot. But there is one thing I'm not quite certain about. 

I want to stick with the kerbal system and not install real solar system, and I'm wondering if I still need any stock configs for the engines? Ckan doesn't mention rss or any configs during the realism overhaul install.

2 minutes ago, MCWopper said:

I've been looking at realism overhaul for a few years but never tried it because of ram issues and problems with mod compatibility.

Now that ksp 64bit is out I want to give it a shot. But there is one thing I'm not quite certain about. 

I want to stick with the kerbal system and not install real solar system, and I'm wondering if I still need any stock configs for the engines? Ckan doesn't mention rss or any configs during the realism overhaul install.

I'm aiming for the same thing, although I am going with a 6.4x size kerbal system using 64K. Installing RO and ROMini.cfg seems to make nodes and SRB's a little wonky...wondering what the best option is to maximize "realism" but maintain the kerbal system. SMURFF mod?