[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

48 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@rsparkyc in MJ's Attitude window, select "Use Stock SAS" - that sometimes works better than MJ's own PID in 1.1.x. It is a known issue that MJ's PID has trouble in 1.1.x it didn't have in 1.0.5.

I tried that, but the vessel in question doesn't have any modules with stock SAS support, so now it doesn't do anything.

1 hour ago, MCWopper said:

I've been looking at realism overhaul for a few years but never tried it because of ram issues and problems with mod compatibility.

Now that ksp 64bit is out I want to give it a shot. But there is one thing I'm not quite certain about. 

I want to stick with the kerbal system and not install real solar system, and I'm wondering if I still need any stock configs for the engines? Ckan doesn't mention rss or any configs during the realism overhaul install.

I did this the first time I played RO.  I just used Kerbal 10x in place of RSS (and the RSS Textures) but used all the other RO dependencies and recommended mods.  This should get your the Kerbol solar system with all the planets and distances scaled up to real size.

I just did a test.

But first this discourse, I want to get rid off these NRE's when ujsing RO with Near Future Propulsion...

Spoiler

Regardless of whether the VASIMR is not using the electric power it should with RO ....

BUT as long as I cannot plan a segmented maneuver burn to circularize an earth orbit with such a weak engine is technically impossible when the vessel is always oriented to the initial maneuver node's direction (instead of just staying prograde !?!).
That means I burn for hours, sometimes prograde, sometimes radial in, sometimes retrograde, sometimes radial out etc. pp. (while I'm asleep).

This is a missing feature, should be core game (of course) but could be a mod anyhow, to "see" that the weak engine's burn can not achieve the necessary Δv before leaving a "good" piece of the orbit round.

I mean, with a high thrust engine, a circularize burn of tiny 20 m/s is a matter of seconds at low thrust percentage, but with a 0.19 KN VASIMR it's a pita, it really would need hours to get there and it orbits the planet a couple of times, always oriented to initial maneuver node ...

As soon as a probe like that is on escape, lifted there by other means, it's not that bad - but this probe will never get into orbit of another planet I guess, just too weak to do the necessary steps in necessary time frames.
It would be only good for fly-by's and then bye-bye.

So, is there something I can do? Is there a RO-compatibe mod? Can I still use MJ2 and fiddle with maneuver node editor somehow?

Or is it like it is - nonsense to send a low-thrust probe into earth orbit instead of using massive amounts of fuel to already get it on escape trajectory before it fires it's own ion engines?

Edited by Gordon Dry
a huge network of synaptically connected bugs

Hi there,

I just have started a new RP-0 career with a new fresh installation of KSP 1.1.2, Realism Overhaul and all the mods coming behind and I have an issue with my first sounding rocket (a simple rocket with a nosecone, a tank, the aerobee motor and three basic fins).

Specificaly, my problem comes from the "Basic Fin" part : when loaded on the launchpad, my aerobee rocket starts to go up at very low speed (0,2 m/s) despite the launch clamps. Then the rocket explodes after a certain amount of time (less than 20s). If I start the engine and I release the launch clamps, the rocket reacts in the same manner.

The issue is coming from the fins : i've tried with other fin or winglet parts and the rocket has the same behavior. The problem disappear when I remove the fins. Maybe it could be an issue with FAR...

Here is the list of my installed mods and the last part of my log : http://pastebin.com/ALYBxugb

And here a link to my involved craft for them who want to test is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyxsljx7f420p66/Atalante%20I.craft?dl=0

Thanks for any help

2 hours ago, chrisl said:

I did this the first time I played RO.  I just used Kerbal 10x in place of RSS (and the RSS Textures) but used all the other RO dependencies and recommended mods.  This should get your the Kerbol solar system with all the planets and distances scaled up to real size.

Hmm I might give that a try. But just to be sure. If I install most mods from the first page (KW, near future, fasa, etc) via ckan and then add the 10x on top of it, all engines should then be properly configured for the 10x scale? no extra configs or anything needed?

8 minutes ago, MCWopper said:

Hmm I might give that a try. But just to be sure. If I install most mods from the first page (KW, near future, fasa, etc) via ckan and then add the 10x on top of it, all engines should then be properly configured for the 10x scale? no extra configs or anything needed?

Yep. Realism Overhaul and Real Solar System are 2 different mods than can be used - or not - independently from another.

Quick question, a search on the relevant thread didn't turn up any answers, but is bobcat's soviet engines pack compatible with the current versions of KSP, RO and RP-0, I know it's not been specifically updated, but does anyone know if it works at all?

This might be a KSP 1.1 issue in general, but has anyone else noticed really fuzzy fonts?

5 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@rsparkyc in MJ's Attitude window, select "Use Stock SAS" - that sometimes works better than MJ's own PID in 1.1.x. It is a known issue that MJ's PID has trouble in 1.1.x it didn't have in 1.0.5.

5 hours ago, Temeter said:

Strange, MJ worked for me just fine in 1.1.2, while it's basically non-functional in RO.

Maybe I'll try messing with the PID numbers, let me know if anyone else has any luck.

34 minutes ago, coco146 said:

Quick question, a search on the relevant thread didn't turn up any answers, but is bobcat's soviet engines pack compatible with the current versions of KSP, RO and RP-0, I know it's not been specifically updated, but does anyone know if it works at all?

It's compatible. Didn't do much with it, but it seems to work.

3 hours ago, NathanKell said:

You don't actually use SAS (by hitting T). In MJ's Attitude Adjustment window, where you control the PID, click the "Use SAS" radio button there.

Here's an example of the message I get when trying to do that.  Also, picture 2 has some PID numbers that I tried that work well for my first stage, but my second stage goes crazy (as you can see by the flight data screen).

Edited by rsparkyc

I'm having a problem with my craft always spinning clockwise with mechjeb and also the stock SAS, I've tried re-root but it seems the root node is offset for some reason. I've tried removing 90% of the craft but it always spins clockwise.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1428435/A%20full%20vehicle.craft

This other vehicle crashes KSP immediately upon load that also used to work

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1428435/Mars%20Lander.craft

I'm also having crashes inside the SPH editor however it doesn't make a crash log. Any ideas how to capture this?

Edited by rolls

When an engine receives a "non-RO" tag by module manager/RO...what is that saying, exactly?

Will it's isp/mass be accurate...or should I only use ones without that "non-RO" tag appended?

@jstnj It just means nobody has made the part explicitly compatible. Impulse and mass will be unchanged from the original- if the mod it's from has been made with RO in mind in the first place, it may work fine, but in general I'd avoid using non-RO parts except for structural ones. For engines it's easy to check: If it uses LFO/oxidizer or Monopropellant, it's not properly configured.

Edited by Ravenchant

I have a problem with realism overhaul and I don't know which mod is causing the issues.

I use realism overhaul on version 1.05 of Ksp.
The problem is that staging doesn't work.

Staging only works if im connected to a launch stabillizer or clamp.

But once the rocket is released the staging options and the SAS and RCS buttons stop working. However, I can still manually click parts and select i.e. decouple and other things.
So this isn't due to remote tech.
Obviously there are multiple commands during each staging sequence and I can not manual click everything to perform a staging command.

Control inputs do still work though.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

Is there any chance of a realism overhaul patch being made for Tundra Exploration? Seeing as how LazTek SpaceX has been abandoned... It would be awesome if Tundra Exploration took up its mantle for providing realistic SpaceX parts.

Great mod and a real inspiration. I am, however, having real difficulty with heating (v11.0.0, all required and recommended mods installed including Deadly Reentry). Here's a Mk1 pod with max (200) ablator that got inserted into LEO, then had periapsis dropped to 80k - about the most gentle possible reentry. It's made only one reentry pass, lost ~500-600 m/s of speed, is at the lowest altitude it reached during reentry, and is about to lose the last of the ablator.

MTYyLw8.png

It blew up due to overheating immediately after this image was taken.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Great mod and a real inspiration. I am, however, having real difficulty with heating (v11.0.0, all required and recommended mods installed including Deadly Reentry). Here's a Mk1 pod with max (200) ablator that got inserted into LEO, then had periapsis dropped to 80k - about the most gentle possible reentry. It's made only one reentry pass, lost ~500-600 m/s of speed, is at the lowest altitude it reached during reentry, and is about to lose the last of the ablator.

MTYyLw8.png

It blew up due to overheating immediately after this image was taken.

Have you tried a steeper reentry? Like a Pe of 30k? Multiple high-altitude passes through the atmosphere uses a lot of ablator. Steeper is usually better as long as the g-forces are survivable..

1 minute ago, MikaelPerrin said:

Have you tried a steeper reentry? Like a Pe of 30k? Multiple high-altitude passes through the atmosphere uses a lot of ablator. Steeper is usually better as long as the g-forces are survivable..

"It's made only one reentry pass "