For Questions That Don't Merit Their Own Thread

Skyler4856

12 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Isn't fork the main (if not the only) purpose of  independent vertical adjusting of the barrels

Not always. There are turrets where the guns are independent... and those where they aren't, and are mounted in a single trunnion.

xh3ksi2d8ht31.png

3 hours ago, wumpus said:

For the "too short", "too long", "just right method" wouldn't two barrels (to throw the "too short" and "too long" shells at once) be better?  Once they land you can calibrate your "just right" shot (or fire two more for successive approximation).  Of course this assumes that time to load >> time of shell in flight.

The Germans pioneeredthe three-shot ladder with twin turrets, though.

4 minutes ago, DDE said:

Not always. There are turrets where the guns are independent... and those where they aren't, and are mounted in a single trunnion.

I mentioned "independent vertical adjustment of barrels", not any "multibarrel".

On 12/7/2014 at 5:52 PM, gooddog15 said:

Could aliens understand what planet Pioneer 10/11 came from due to it's position?

Pioneer_plaque_solar_system.svg

Most likely, especially since in the inner solar system there aren't really any objects of even visible sizes, let alone of planetary sizes. Though by the time aliens discovered the probe, deciphered that it was depicting a planetary system, and made it to Sol, it is entirely likely that a rogue planet or star could completely disrupt our solar system. It could also just be that it takes these aliens so long to find us that the Sun goes nova and destroys earth. 

18 hours ago, KerbalSquidward2 said:

Most likely, especially since in the inner solar system there aren't really any objects of even visible sizes, let alone of planetary sizes. Though by the time aliens discovered the probe, deciphered that it was depicting a planetary system, and made it to Sol, it is entirely likely that a rogue planet or star could completely disrupt our solar system. It could also just be that it takes these aliens so long to find us that the Sun goes nova and destroys earth. 

They might wonder what that ninth planet is.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:58 PM, kerbiloid said:

There were two as well.

Hide contents

hop38ldu-900.jpg

But why have two when the turret is enough wide to have three.

Also you don't have to fire all three at once. Fire two, then fire the third without reloading.

Three barrels in main gun turrets was a pretty hard to implement, for one the shells interfere with each other and supersonic aerodynamic was not well understood in the 1930s. 
One common solution was to fire the center gun some millisecond later. 
Loading mechanisms and crew also take up space, its not much unused space inside that turret as everything is man handled, modern 4" turrets are much smaller than the 4" of WW 2 ships because they are automated. 
On an WW 1 ship like Texas almost all was manual, yes it was an powered winch to get the shell up to the turret, not sure it was for the powder, and you had an hydraulic ramming rood, that is it, 

22 hours ago, KerbalSquidward2 said:

I assume you wanted to say unlikely. And yes Mercury will be hard to spot because its close to the sun and I assume sunshades will be optimized for the habitable zone and Pluto is not very special, finding small trans Neptune objects around other stars will also be challenging. 
However if they assumed the direction from other sources and pointed something big for somebody who intercept an dead probe in deep space have at the solar system Earth would show up well. 
Direct spotting and spectroscopy of earth size exoplanets is more near future tech than far. 
However I assume we either go extinct or somebody intercept it for an museum. 

16 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Three barrels in main gun turrets was a pretty hard to implement, for one the shells interfere with each other and supersonic aerodynamic was not well understood in the 1930s. 
One common solution was to fire the center gun some millisecond later. 

And then there was the British solution to move the centre gun back.

i?id=afc3ee8bae3d8e80835faae94ff637d4-l&

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

100 meters later the gap would be full of regolith and the tank stops.

Kniepkamp chassis are also great on der Moon.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeLdhWzeB8SM0naJqMjivcc9393es-960.jpg

An half-track motorcycle is an pretty weird thing. 
And weirder people tried to make ball tanks, it failed hard, however an ball drone makes sense, if covered in rubber an tennis ball probe has better mobility than anything that small and you can throw it trough an window. 
You just have lots of cell phone style cameras on it and fix the images you get to stabilize them, very useful for military or search and rescue checking out houses. 

Fibonacci Sequence Question:

Is there something weird going on between the Zero and the second One?

-- As you probably know, the Fibonacci Sequence starts out: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, etc.

It's been so long since I was in school, and my kids are starting to get into this stuff...  With a weak maths background, I don't have the answers for them; but my daughter asked me a question about the zero, one, one in the sequence.  (Full disclosure: she's Freaking Brilliant - and I just want to try to stay abreast / encourage her - so this is either something brilliant, or something simple that I haven't grasped) 

Everything from the second 'one' makes sense (1+2=3, 2+3=5, etc.).  But is there something funny going on in the first three steps?

(My google-fu isn't finding anything, so I figured I'd ask here.  Thanks in advance!)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Fibonacci Sequence Question:

Is there something weird going on between the Zero and the second One?

-- As you probably know, the Fibonacci Sequence starts out: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, etc.

It's been so long since I was in school, and my kids are starting to get into this stuff...  With a weak maths background, I don't have the answers for them; but my daughter asked me a question about the zero, one, one in the sequence.  (Full disclosure: she's Freaking Brilliant - and I just want to try to stay abreast / encourage her - so this is either something brilliant, or something simple that I haven't grasped) 

Everything from the second 'one' makes sense (1+2=3, 2+3=5, etc.).  But is there something funny going on in the first three steps?

(My google-fu isn't finding anything, so I figured I'd ask here.  Thanks in advance!)

Yes, it makes no sense to start it before two. 
Array(0)=1
Array(1)=2
X=1
Do 
     Array(x+1)=array(x)+array(x-1)
     x=x+1
Loop

On 4/9/2020 at 7:33 PM, kerbiloid said:

I mean this chess layout of wheels would be a killer feature on the sticky regolith. But the idea of a lunar bike is quite nice, too.

Problem with tracks is the wear, with regolith that would be an nightmare,  you want tracks if you are extremly heavy like the NASA crawlers or if you are heavy and want to travel on soft ground as it lower your ground pressure. 
Tracks is also nice on snow, bog or similar for light crafts. Tracks give you lots of force to the ground and its not much of an issue if slow, this is why lots of heavy machines uses it. 
You don't use if  if you are light want to move with speed and ground is not very soft. For an earth-mover you want it. Guess part of why they made the Kniepkamp if for it to move stuff like artillery around. 
Also you drive it like an motorcycle who was far more common in Germany than cars during WW2, saw an youtube about it and the belt control only kicked in if you made sharp turns

I mean, the "killer feature" is a "killer of the wheels" feature.

25 minutes ago, razark said:

F0=0
F1=1
Fn=Fn-1 + Fn-2 for n>1

And now continue it to the left, lol.

F-1 = 1
F-2 = -1
F-3 =  2
F-4 = -3
etc.

Edited by kerbiloid

32 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Problem with tracks is the wear, with regolith that would be an nightmare,  you want tracks if you are extremly heavy like the NASA crawlers or if you are heavy and want to travel on soft ground as it lower your ground pressure. 

@kerbiloid of all people is probably aware that the Soviet lunokhods were built by veteran tanks designers, and they still did not go with tracks.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Just read it. I'm fascinated.

I saw the unification of QM and SR before he described it, which really impressed me.

16 hours ago, tater said:

Wow.

We have to stop this man before he scares our benevolent experimenters so much they pull a Ctrl-Alt-Del on our little simulation.