[v0.17] Damned Aerospace Version 1.5.3 + Crewtank

DYJ

That is a very interesting choppa, those winglets rotate for airbrakes?

Also, really don\'t understand why people keep asking for the Skylon, but the engines are already done over here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=10065.0

Should still work, if I don\'t have to recompile against MechJeb again. Better check that now.

I believe I also figured out why the MuMech engines aren\'t pulling fuel properly anymore. I think calling RequestFuel on the stock FuelTanks tries to drain through the stack now, instead of draining from that tank directly. It\'s also giving me fits trying to get my custom fuel boxes to show when I modify them indirectly, and I had actual MuMech tanks that were working correctly earlier.

That is a very interesting choppa, those winglets rotate for airbrakes?

No, they just help the chopper rotate on rudder, but mainly stop a flat spin. I find I fly this bird on forward pitch and roll mostly, the horizontal velocity helping the winglets do their work. ATM, it doesn\'t hover that well, as it\'ll still spin. Once DYJ gives us a tail rotor (3 tonne hint! Pretty please?) they\'ll be redundant.

Trim is standard feature of the game now and is done with alt+wasdqe (or whatever you rebind wasdqe to).

I\'ve delayed work on the flaps until we get a update to the wingmodule since they currently just give you infi-glide when applied.

Trim: OK, so alt+main rotational controls makes the command stay there? or just makes it softer? I am looking at something that you manually use to adjust the aerodynamics. I would use a servo-based system, but it\'s just not stong enough of a linkage...

Flaps: ok, how about a variable-incidence wing? would that be possible, or would that cause a bunch of stalls?

So, I was thinking about tail rotors. Would it be possible to set them up basically as a bi-directional rcs, and just give it a nifty animated rotor model? Is it possible to make RCS work using normal fuel? Seems like this would make a pretty easy solution to tail rotors.

So, I was thinking about tail rotors. Would it be possible to set them up basically as a bi-directional rcs, and just give it a nifty animated rotor model? Is it possible to make RCS work using normal fuel? Seems like this would make a pretty easy solution to tail rotors.

It would have the considerable advantage of leaving it under the control of any ASAS or MechJeb units. Functionally, it would be identical to a pair of linear RCS ports, right? The only disadvantage would be that it\'s a digital, not analogue, control, but my torque-twist rotatron idea didn\'t suffer for that, and neither would this.

I\'ve been meaning to do an ASAS specced for helicopters - the present one locks controls too solidly, and the avionics unit, not enough.

Edit: I had a rummage in the .cfg files and found that regular props have specified fuel type and a hint they can have negative (i.e bidirectional) thrust :

fuelType = liquid

maxThrust = 50
minThrust = 0

This approach would require multiple throttles to be workable - maybe channel mixing as in RC planes and helis?

Meanwhile, RCS units have no specified fuel type, but you could cheat and make fuel consumption zero (after all, planes and rockets get control surfaces for no fuel cost), so possibly negating the need for an RCS tank?

Edit: I had a rummage in the .cfg files and found that regular props have specified fuel type and a hint they can have negative (i.e bidirectional) thrust :

fuelType = liquid

maxThrust = 50
minThrust = 0

This approach would require multiple throttles to be workable - maybe channel mixing as in RC planes and helis?

Meanwhile, RCS units have no specified fuel type, but you could cheat and make fuel consumption zero (after all, planes and rockets get control surfaces for no fuel cost), so possibly negating the need for an RCS tank?

I think that you didn\'t know the difference between MuMechVariableEngine and LiquidEngine. Only the second one allows to set fuel types and propeller rotation animations (Well not really animations, it just rotates things). For RCS, there is MuMechVariableRCS, but it doesn\'t allow animated rotors.

Fairly certain I can make a fenestron/tailrotor now by having a looped rotation animation via the unity parttools and using the mumechrcs code module. I\'ll try to get a helicopter parts update released before 2.0

My plan for 2.0 is to have a set of aircraft parts allowing you to build relatively 'realistic' analogs of most larger aircraft out there today, the tristar is just going to be the one of many possibilities.

I think that you didn\'t know the difference between MuMechVariableEngine and LiquidEngine.

Quite right - I\'ve little idea what goes on under the hood.

Fairly certain I can make a fenestron/tailrotor now by having a looped rotation animation via the unity parttools and using the mumechrcs code module. I\'ll try to get a helicopter parts update released before 2.0

:-* - If you thought I had a fair few helicopters already.......

I just wanted to add that while it does get tricky, as <someone> ...cough.N3X15.cough... has a mischievous habit of breaking stuff like dependencies, r4m0n\'s code classes can be derived from, so stuff like rotor rotation can be piled on top of another part class like meat sauce on spaghetti.

Also, the throttle setting/thrust vector used by a given engine can be controlled by code, but you have to override the FixedUpdate block, which entails rewriting the gimbal code. Not that hard in itself, until you get to part rotation, and arbitrary axis alignment, then it\'s just a crapshoot.

If you want a simple non-gimbaling tail rotor, you don\'t need to re-add the gimbal code, you just need to manage the throttle separately with some control algorithm, and correctly hook the thrust vector to the rotor part axis and offset.