KSP 0.90 'Beta Than Ever' Grand Discussion Thread!

KasperVld

My thanks, KSP devs. Keep up the good work and may the Kraken not be with you.

If I don't count the science update (Guess it was .21? Totally changed the meaning of the game for me), this is the best update so far.

EDIT: Wait... did you say ESA flag? KRosetta on the launchpad, launch in T - 10 s!

Edited by InterCity

Definitely harder than 0.25. Started an unmodded game on moderate difficulty, and am having a heck of a time getting enough money to upgrade my facilities. The rough runway certainly doesn't help early plane efforts.

While it's definitely challenging, I'm not sure if the fun quotient has increased at all. Jury is still out.

YES YES YES!

Now I can build really ugly cargo shuttles no deliver lots of modules to my bases! Great work on the update, Squad. I don't think there is any game better than Kerbal Space Program. I can't wait to check this out!

[Edit]: EVERYONE CHECK OUT THE EASTER EGGS they might be back!

Edited by DMSP

I have to agree with the above - this is a much different (and better) game. I agree that we need a tier between 2 and 3, and possibly two tiers in there with some tweaks.

1) The current setup still favors rocketry a bit too much over planes (yes, I realize it's Kerbal SPACE Program) but you do have to get a bit far before you get a jet engine, and that really needs to be moved forward quite a lot.

2) I'd make the hangar/runway upgrades decently cheaper than the VAB/launchpad to encourage advancing there first. As noted above, getting jets going quickly really opens up science/funds through judicious selection of part testing and overflights.

3) I think TAC or something to that effect is needed to get that tier between 2 and 3 for extraplanetary manned exploration. Delta-v to other planets for a capsule is not hard. Delta-v to other planets for a ship with enough space and food and water and such for 2 years is an entirely different proposition. That's also needed for Kerbin SOI stations/bases, and something more (resource extraction + closed loop systems, even simple ones) for extraplanetary stations/bases.

4) The building upgrades are a little too unobvious. Since you can enter each one, I'd add a button/status indicator on the activity screens for each building. I can see a lot of people completely missing the upgrade functionality.

5) The missions seem a bit unbalanced in that they offer up many missions that are effectively impossible to achieve, and with an early limit of 2, it's really easy to take missions you later realize you can't possibly upgrade to achieve. I'm a pretty experienced player and I have to be extremely careful what to accept given the bounds of what I know is feasible with the science I've unlocked and the parts I can afford. If I take that Kolniya orbit around Minmus with power and an antenna and a materials bay and goo container mission before I have solar and the 48-7S unlocked means that I've burned half of my available mission slots and have to rack up 180 science on a single slot or face a failure penalty of half of my cash.

To put a finer point on 5) - the game as currently set up is actually much harder in the early stage than it will be in later stages, and that strikes me as a bit wrong toward getting new players on board. Perhaps the nature of the missions could be adjusted in accordance with the difficulty so that at the easiest settings you don't get any missions that you don't have the science/parts/limitations to do. That's not necessarily easy to sort out, but I think it's necessary toward balance. New players on easier settings shouldn't get caught up against nearly impossible missions with so few avenues to get out of them.

WOW Squad, this update is just.....WOW, the editor overhaul is just WOW, for the first time since i started playing this game i am at a loss of how to build things (in a good way that is), started building a ship and with all the tweaks i spent almost an hour just to make it look good with the new gizmos, the possibilities are limitless. Those fuel lines and struts are just WOW, the new autopilot assistance, just WOW the ships fly more straight than ever when pointed at a direction. This update is the best update ever, keep on the good job after a well Christmas rest, you deserve it. I'll just go now and hyperventilate somewhere quiet.

3w1ej.gif

So, for the precision landing issues, a recommendation. Create a Parachute Jet. Also takeoff/land off the runway if you're not used to it.

Parachute Jet has two Kerbals in it. A pilot for SAS, an Engineer for resetting your parachutes. Make sure your Engineer gets up to level 2 (where in the Astronaut center it says he can repack chutes). If you're not used to doing this (like I wasn't) make sure you bring expendable Kerbals. No reason to lose Jeb and Bill while you're getting yourself figured out.

Basically, enough fuel to fly, two cockpits, some landing gear and wings. 4x parachutes. Spread 'em around the COM. Get to target like you're thinking about landing, turn on the brakes, pop the chutes. You CAN land on your engine under 10 m/s if you foul it up (which is why I now recommend spreading around your parachutes). Obviously try to avoid 70degree slopes. :)

I've recorded my run on hard so far, and am debating on youtubing it. Sounds like there might be interest, I'll try to get 'em post-production processed here tomorrow. Warning in case there is: I am NOT the best pilot out there, nor am I a rocket scientist. I do know how to do the dV equation though. I missed some targets, I've killed poor Roger Kermin, and some poor soul is STILL stuck up in orbit. I'm messing around trying to figure out the best approaches to these new missions. So it sure as heck ain't a Scott Manley perfection run. :wink: However, this is the version of KSP I've been waiting for since 0.16 or so? I forget, it's been a WHILE... but either way, I love it.

As a note: A "drop bomb" of an okto + thermostat + parachute does not work as hoped for getting into crappy LZ's... you pull out of 2.5k range far too quickly, particularly in mountains.

Edited by WanderingKid
Wrong level on Engineer, sorry.

Okay, now for my one piece of constructive criticism. There was only one boring lull during my campaign so far, and that was when I was doing Kerbin survey contacts while saving up for a launchpad. Satellite contracts would have been way more fun. Maybe satellite contracts should appear earlier in the game, at the same time as survey contracts once you've proven you can make orbit.

Satellite Contracts appear as soon as you can get access to electricity via Solar Panels and one of the Probe Cores. Until then you won't see them because you can't fulfill the requirements.

Great update. The building system is nice, the new editor tools are really, really awesome, and kerbal xp is on a good way.

By that I mean that it could be made clearer ingame what gives, xp. And looking at the patch notes, also some more abilities for the highest ranks would be nice. Suicide burns for pilots come to mind here, or buffing engineers by giving them more readouts the higher they level, or decreased resource use.

But hey, it's a new system, doesn't need to be perfected already :D

In order to not end the post on a slightly negative mood, let me just say again how much I love the new editor tools!

Can anybody already give a report about stability of the current 0.9 x64 version of KSP?

Playing 0.90 in 64 bit is pretty much pointless for career mode at the moment, since the buildings show as fully upgraded at the start, but don't function as fully upgraded, but as tier 1. This makes progrssion pretty much impossible, and career mode effectively unplayable on 64 bit. So, I guess almost no one will even bother using 64 bit at the moment.

Playing 0.90 in 64 bit is pretty much pointless for career mode at the moment, since the buildings show as fully upgraded at the start, but don't function as fully upgraded, but as tier 1. This makes progrssion pretty much impossible, and career mode effectively unplayable on 64 bit. So, I guess almost no one will even bother using 64 bit at the moment.

Ok then it was my mistake in the way I asked, I'm about the sandbox, for constructing some pretty insane mega stuff.

Carreer is nice but not really my part of the game.

What about in Sandbox mode? Is 64-bit stable now in Sandbox?

Despite not career working in x64 how it the general program stability? I guess time to very carefully decided what mods I'm using plus what mods I'm working on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.