[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

First, thanks to all involved in updating RP0!!

Speaking about the tracking station, I have a weird problem with it. The dots don't appear on the surface of the Earth, they are displaced, like forming another sphere with it's center somewhere else. I tried deleting everything and starting from scratch but it's still the same. Am I the only one?

looking at the P&P entries is it time to update the "suggested mods" list, or are the AIES, near future,KW, NP, ect parts just for more build options without effecting game play options, ie better engines or avionics, to heavily. I would run everything that realism overhaul suggested if i could but even with open gl and part pruning ram is an issue (on windows). Sorry to be a bother i just want to get the best RP-0 experience possible for everyone

PS still hoping to hear on a master part pruner list for rp-0 if there may ever be one that rp-0 makers give a thumbs up to

Oh and another question. I am quite confused about the actions groups. The RP0 tutorial doesn't mention anything about having to upgrade the building, but that seems to be the case. So in the beginning we don't have the funds to upgrade, so we can't perform science experiments with the sounding rocktets, right? (Except telemetry of course)

Do the tutorials require updating or am I missing something here.

7 hours ago, rgargente said:

First, thanks to all involved in updating RP0!!

Speaking about the tracking station, I have a weird problem with it. The dots don't appear on the surface of the Earth, they are displaced, like forming another sphere with it's center somewhere else. I tried deleting everything and starting from scratch but it's still the same. Am I the only one?

Did you try restarting KSP? Sometimes earth just doesn't load correctly for me (also getting kerbin on main menu screen).

7 hours ago, rgargente said:

Oh and another question. I am quite confused about the actions groups. The RP0 tutorial doesn't mention anything about having to upgrade the building, but that seems to be the case. So in the beginning we don't have the funds to upgrade, so we can't perform science experiments with the sounding rocktets, right? (Except telemetry of course)

Do the tutorials require updating or am I missing something here.

Upgrades are relatively similar to stock career, with the difference of them taking a whole lot longer if you have kerbin construction time (e.g. launch site is almost 2 years).

You can absolutely do science with the starting equipment. At the beginning you'll want telemetry, e.g. by sounding rockets, and then you'll be able to unlock nodes as usual in your R%D Center, including additional science parts. Mind researching takes time now, too (everything listed at the kerbal construction time window in the toolbar). The new upgrade window also allows you to buy points and spend them on either on VAB/SPH do improve construction rates, or under science to increase research rate.

As for reserach, I'll recommend science alert, it'll remind you every time new research is available. Current 1.0.4 version works in 1.0.5. Just keep an eye at your electricity, especially early probes have quite limited batteries and solar panels are quite a bit off. Don't want to get stranded with no electricity.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/69538-104-sciencealert-189-experiment-availability-feedback-july-13/

5 hours ago, Temeter said:

Did you try restarting KSP? Sometimes earth just doesn't load correctly for me (also getting kerbin on main menu screen).

Upgrades are relatively similar to stock career, with the difference of them taking a whole lot longer if you have kerbin construction time (e.g. launch site is almost 2 years).

You can absolutely do science with the starting equipment. At the beginning you'll want telemetry, e.g. by sounding rockets, and then you'll be able to unlock nodes as usual in your R%D Center, including additional science parts. Mind researching takes time now, too (everything listed at the kerbal construction time window in the toolbar). The new upgrade window also allows you to buy points and spend them on either on VAB/SPH do improve construction rates, or under science to increase research rate.

As for reserach, I'll recommend science alert, it'll remind you every time new research is available. Current 1.0.4 version works in 1.0.5. Just keep an eye at your electricity, especially early probes have quite limited batteries and solar panels are quite a bit off. Don't want to get stranded with no electricity.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/69538-104-sciencealert-189-experiment-availability-feedback-july-13/

Thanks for your reply Temeter.

Yes I tried restarting, and even reinstalling, and it didn't help.

Regarding the career question, I know I can do science with telemetry. WHat I mean is that you can't follow the RP-0 tutorial as it is now, because you need to upgrade the rocket building in order to have action groups, and the tutorial requires you to use action groups in your very first rocket, and you don't have the funds to upgrade it.

6 hours ago, rgargente said:

Thanks for your reply Temeter.

Yes I tried restarting, and even reinstalling, and it didn't help.

Regarding the career question, I know I can do science with telemetry. WHat I mean is that you can't follow the RP-0 tutorial as it is now, because you need to upgrade the rocket building in order to have action groups, and the tutorial requires you to use action groups in your very first rocket, and you don't have the funds to upgrade it.

You shouldn't have to upgrade the VAB to use action groups with RP-0. Have you tried doing it?  The ksp upgrade tooltip says you unlock them at level 2 but they work at all levels with RP-0. 

Yep. Action groups work at the most basic level (which I'm atm). Seems kinda like upgrading the VAB doesn't give you any benefit? Maybe they are connected to construction times, idk.

Edited by Temeter

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

Yep. Action groups work at the most basic level (which I'm atm). Seems kinda like upgrading the VAB doesn't give you any benefit? Maybe they are connected to construction times, idk.

There are still limits to rocket mass and part count that the VAB upgrades allow you to increase so there's still a benefit to upgrading. 

4 minutes ago, Apexazimuth said:

There are still limits to rocket mass and part count that the VAB upgrades allow you to increase so there's still a benefit to upgrading. 

Mass is limited by launch site, part count is unlimited. Just noticed rocket dimensions are still limited by VAB/SPH size, tho. That's interesting. And it makes actually sense!

1 hour ago, Apexazimuth said:

You shouldn't have to upgrade the VAB to use action groups with RP-0. Have you tried doing it?  The ksp upgrade tooltip says you unlock them at level 2 but they work at all levels with RP-0. 

Indeed... I don't know what I was thinking about. :) My bad!

21 hours ago, Aazard said:

looking at the P&P entries is it time to update the "suggested mods" list

Yep, I'm planning to create a new list of fully and partially supported mods during this weekend.

For now I can say that FASA, AIES, Soviet Engines, IR, KAS, CSS by Mike NZ and B9 Aerospace (the whole mod, not only Proc. wings) are fully (99%) supported by RP-0.

Edited by winged

9 hours ago, Temeter said:

Mass is limited by launch site, part count is unlimited. Just noticed rocket dimensions are still limited by VAB/SPH size, tho. That's interesting. And it makes actually sense!

We try :D

@winged sounds good!

Regarding Action Groups--make sure you're on the latest version of Custom Barn Kit.

On 12/17/2015 at 4:45 PM, winged said:

Yep, I'm planning to create a new list of fully and partially supported mods during this weekend.

For now I can say that FASA, AIES, Soviet Engines, IR, KAS, CSS by Mike NZ and B9 Aerospace (the whole mod, not only Proc. wings) are fully (99%) supported by RP-0.

Very cool New Horizons recreation!

Hi,

I just installed RP V0.41, KSP105.x64, Linux Ubuntu 12.04 (it is called long-term support :) )

I ran into a major problem: When I installed RaiderNick's mods, I KSP wouldn't start. Instead X.org took over 100% CPU and KSP would be very slowly grinding ahead in its starting sequence. When I removed RaiderNick's mods everything was fine.

I will file a proper bug report in a few days, but just want to give this 'solution' to those of you having the same problem.  - Did anyone, BTW? 

I'm a bit confused with the antennas, and reading the RemoteTech manual didn't explain everything.

Why are there two values for range? Sometimes the first one is zero, and sometimes it's the same as the second value. And sometimes it's a different, smaller value. 

The Voyager Antenna (Improved Electrics) says it's good all the way to where voyager has been, but it's range field is 0/16Mm. 

Also, bandwidth isn't listed anywhere. Can the formula   Min(r1, r2) + Sqrt(r1 r2)   be used to calculate antenna ranges? Do you use the second value?

EDIT: One small additional thing - it doesn't seem to say anywhere that researching the further solid rocket nodes increases your procedural SRB limits, but it does. That could be a clause tagged onto the end of the node description in the tech tree, or done the same way as the procedural fairing upgrades.

Edited by Nnimrod

@Lilienthal Thanks for the heads up. Does sounds like something's locking up, log will say for sure what.

@Nnimrod please see the FAQ for how range works. As to the two numbers, the first is the power of the antenna when it is not activated. The second number is the power (the range figure used in the equation in the FAQ) when it is activated.

The range number quoted in the part description tooltip (not the module tooltip on the right) in the editor is the range of the antenna when connected with the DSN on Earth; that number you use directly.

Bandwidth doesn't really exist in KSP; all commands are transferred instantly, subject only to lightspeed lag. Unless you mean science experiment bandwidth.

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

@Lilienthal Thanks for the heads up. Does sounds like something's locking up, log will say for sure what.

@Nnimrod please see the FAQ for how range works. As to the two numbers, the first is the power of the antenna when it is not activated. The second number is the power (the range figure used in the equation in the FAQ) when it is activated.

The range number quoted in the part description tooltip (not the module tooltip on the right) in the editor is the range of the antenna when connected with the DSN on Earth; that number you use directly.

Bandwidth doesn't really exist in KSP; all commands are transferred instantly, subject only to lightspeed lag. Unless you mean science experiment bandwidth.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that ^^ 

The Pioneer antenna description says it's good to "1500Gm, Jupiter and beyond" That would be right, as Jupiter can be (very) roughly 500-975Gm from earth. But if you plug the stated range (20Gm) and the DSN range (500Gm) into the range formula it comes to 120Gm. Am I doing the math correctly?

EDIT: I suppose I really just want to build a satellite communications network, but there's no need with the existence of the DSN. Maybe I should get the remote tech contract pack and set my funds rewards to 5% or something, so I have to actually launch satellites for money :P

Edited by Nnimrod

Another small issue with the Agena 80xx config from FASA, it's apparently inconsistent with the stock version; I've got the stock Bell-8096-39 variant available, but the FASA version still says 'lacks tech'.

Also, the super stretched XLR-11 (even says 'while it doesn't look a thing like it') maybe doesn't need to be that stretchy? Taerobee's X-1 version is only half as long.

Hi guys,

Still trying to get the Sputnik from the tutorial to work with 1.0.5. It worked fine in 1.0.4 for me. However it seems like some engines , like for example the baby sergeants, have a lower performance in the current version. Is this the case?

If I look at the MechJeb delta-v window for the rocket, it is significantly lower than in the tutorial image, about 2km/s. I almost manage to get an orbit with the design as it is, but I remember on 1.0.4 it was way more than enough.

Any ideas?

@NnimrodHmm. @Laie would know best, here. There might be a missing zero, or the DSN ranges might have been changed since the tutorial was written?

@Temeter I'll have a look. As for the XLR11 I believe we did it to try to recreate the real shape of the XLR11...

@rgargente that's your problem right there: as the tutorial states, it's *not* a Sptunik core, it's the 20in X-Ray probe core, which masses about a tenth of what Sputnik does. Always check the mass of the probe core you're adding. ;)

@Aazard yes for FAR and KM Gimbal. No for RCSFX because RCSFX isn't used in 1.0.5.

42 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@rgargente that's your problem right there: as the tutorial states, it's *not* a Sptunik core, it's the 20in X-Ray probe core, which masses about a tenth of what Sputnik does. Always check the mass of the probe core you're adding. ;)

Wow @NathanKell well spotted! That's embarrasing, my bad again! :)

Anyway, orbit at first attempt now, thank you!