[1.2] OSE Workshop - KIS Addon: (v1.1.0 - 2016.11.03)

ObiVanDamme

if you mean in the vab. you can not get rid of it at the moment

The category is good But can you Put the Container and every Part that comes with your mod in this category. Or remove the category and Put everything in Utility. This mixed up thing is Not good.

But keep up the Good work

Is it possible to create larger parts, like 2.5m fuel tanks with this? Maybe make it so that when the part is finished, it can only be taken out but not stored?

the part size is limited by a configurable value in the parts config file and the largest inventory on your vessel. if you need larger parts you can edit the config value and add the largest inventory available. be aware that kis has its limits on what kerbals can do with parts. if the part is too large or too heavy you might need more kerbals and/or better tools to carry and attach the part. i do not know if there is a limit where you can do nothing with a part and it will either be useless in the inventory or useless floating around

I'm just imagining landing on Eve, armed with nothing but my workshop and some fit kerbals, and start building a 20m rocket. Manufacture the parts, taking them with a crane to the launch site, assemble it part by part from bottom up, with scaffolding and all (need some way to reach that tall command pod), using what I utilized locally :rolleyes:

Or I can just use EPL, there's that too.

I'm just imagining landing on Eve, armed with nothing but my workshop and some fit kerbals, and start building a 20m rocket. Manufacture the parts, taking them with a crane to the launch site, assemble it part by part from bottom up, with scaffolding and all (need some way to reach that tall command pod), using what I utilized locally :rolleyes:

Or I can just use EPL, there's that too.

I would say EPL is more in line with what you are trying to do.

I would say EPL is more in line with what you are trying to do.

i would suggest epl as well. the workshop was meant to provide spare parts in case something breaks or new parts that where not unlocked when you launched your rocket or you did not think of when you started your mission. if you plan to build a offworld starport use epl

Edit: you can use both Mods if you want to have that Eva assembling experience. Use epl to build your rocket Stack and use the workshop to add surface attachable parts

Edited by ObiVanDamme

Yeah, this is definitely a case of using the right tool for the job: EL for large builds or mass production, OSE for "ah, I need that one part" or fairly small builds. I actually haven't used OSE yet (I've done all my part builds by building loaded KIS containers via EL), but even though I could build entire bases in one hit with EL, I find it much more fun to build modules and dock them together (usually using KIS and IR), or just place the parts using KIS.

Again, use the right tool for the job :)

Maybe you just haven't gotten to it yet, but the stock lab still requires Material Kits but the OES-3000 no longer list that in the VAB. One I have in orbit on a station still has some, but anything new will only have what comes with the LAB and at the current tech I have, I see nothing that makes Material Kits. Getting more of the chicken/egg thing going on with other mods as well, where Things are in one tech window that require things from another tech window to be of any use though I'm not sure where Material Kits come from now.

Also, some of the advanced 3d printing labs got moved up the tech tree, but the MKS is still showing up with the tech I have unlocked.

Maybe you just haven't gotten to it yet, but the stock lab still requires Material Kits but the OES-3000 no longer list that in the VAB. One I have in orbit on a station still has some, but anything new will only have what comes with the LAB and at the current tech I have, I see nothing that makes Material Kits. Getting more of the chicken/egg thing going on with other mods as well, where Things are in one tech window that require things from another tech window to be of any use though I'm not sure where Material Kits come from now.

Also, some of the advanced 3d printing labs got moved up the tech tree, but the MKS is still showing up with the tech I have unlocked.

I am not sure if I understand your problem. The Lab and the 3D printer that come with the mod both need MaterialKits to work, right. They both come with a small amount of it. The OSE3000 and OSE6000 containers can store larger supplies of them, but are in different tech nodes. That is also correct and intended. I am not sure what the problem is you are facing?!

In the VAB, The OSE3000 Does not list Material Kits in the resources it carries. Is that just a VAB GUI problem? The LAB does list it, but to send more up, it would be a lot of mas to send a lab just to transport 500 kits. And I don't see what makes the kits. I might not have it unlocked yet, but I tried looking through the tech tree (which is getting messy as save games don't remove things from displayed nodes when they move. Not sure if there is a file in the save folder I can just delete to have it update, that would be nice.)

In the VAB, The OSE3000 Does not list Material Kits in the resources it carries. Is that just a VAB GUI problem? The LAB does list it, but to send more up, it would be a lot of mas to send a lab just to transport 500 kits. And I don't see what makes the kits. I might not have it unlocked yet, but I tried looking through the tech tree (which is getting messy as save games don't remove things from displayed nodes when they move. Not sure if there is a file in the save folder I can just delete to have it update, that would be nice.)

do you use the latest release from kerbalstuff or an experimental release from github (clone of repo or pre-release)? the latest experimental uses firespitters fuelswitch. if that is missing the tanks will hold no resources.

the kits are produced by the material extractor later in the tech tree but in the same branch

I try to go to Kerbal Stuff first when I can. The version I have in right now is OSE_Workshop-0.10.2.zip. The version of Firespitter I have is what ever came with Roverdudes mods. The version file for Firespitter says

"VERSION": {

"MAJOR": 7,

"MINOR": 1,

"PATCH": 4

},

"KSP_VERSION": {

"MAJOR": 1,

"MINOR": 0,

"PATCH": 4

}

And they do have resources. Just not kits: Metal, chemicals, polymers, RocketParts.

Edited by Vorg

Yeah, this is definitely a case of using the right tool for the job: EL for large builds or mass production, OSE for "ah, I need that one part" or fairly small builds. I actually haven't used OSE yet (I've done all my part builds by building loaded KIS containers via EL), but even though I could build entire bases in one hit with EL, I find it much more fun to build modules and dock them together (usually using KIS and IR), or just place the parts using KIS.

Again, use the right tool for the job :)

Yes, love EL but its kind of OP, you can build giant ships pretty fast. This sounds more balanced and do much as the same as EL does for small parts.

- - - Updated - - -

the part size is limited by a configurable value in the parts config file and the largest inventory on your vessel. if you need larger parts you can edit the config value and add the largest inventory available. be aware that kis has its limits on what kerbals can do with parts. if the part is too large or too heavy you might need more kerbals and/or better tools to carry and attach the part. i do not know if there is a limit where you can do nothing with a part and it will either be useless in the inventory or useless floating around

You can move stuff with more kerbals standing nearby. Remember needed 3 to move an large ore container.

Do not know about tools but you can mount it on an rover or even probe and move it.

If you send an army of engineers in a flotilla of workshops, of course you'll be able to build big stuff fairly quickly. The assumption is RocketParts is pre-assembled stuff (thus the low density), and so 5 kerbal-hours per ton is not unreasonably fast. If you consider the workshop to be OP take its productivity factor down a bit (but not below 1 if you want inexperienced engineers to be able to use it).

And to think of the moaning with which I had to put up when I introduced timed builds, and even more when I completely removed instant builds.

If you send an army of engineers in a flotilla of workshops, of course you'll be able to build big stuff fairly quickly. The assumption is RocketParts is pre-assembled stuff (thus the low density), and so 5 kerbal-hours per ton is not unreasonably fast. If you consider the workshop to be OP take its productivity factor down a bit (but not below 1 if you want inexperienced engineers to be able to use it).

And to think of the moaning with which I had to put up when I introduced timed builds, and even more when I completely removed instant builds.

No not the productivity rate, time is pretty abstract in KSP anyway. but that you can spawn anything from an base, I have made landers who contains everything needed to make copies of itself, you land on an body mine and construct and after some time you spawn the copy.

Its fun but get too easy for me, it also tend to break progress in carrier games as you get to Duna then spend all your time building at Duna and Ike. the ship to Gilly arrives after a long time and the one to Jool never arives before I start hitting the 3.8 gb limit all the time :)

It should be some size and complexity limits, solution is an larger construction facility, yes you can build this too :)

One idea might be to require some high tech parts who has to be skipped in and not constructed, expanding the facility will reduce the need for this.

It should be some size and complexity limits, solution is an larger construction facility, yes you can build this too :)

One idea might be to require some high tech parts who has to be skipped in and not constructed, expanding the facility will reduce the need for this.

As far as i know taniwha had ideas like that in mind already. He mentioned some kind of progress with several tiers of production facilities where you can build the next tier by using the tier below. Maybe that is something that will come to EPL or a complete new mod in the future

Obi - was just scanning, ping me if we have any tech tree disjoints, might as well get those sorted as well and make sure I'm not introducing anything too early or too late.

i need to double check that you well with the introduction of the new resources, harvesters and converters. i would also like to review the efficiencies of the converters and harvesters. the workshop parts are aligned with stock and i had no chance yet to check if mks-l parts are better or worse than the stock drill and isru. i will check those things on my side and ping you in chat in the next days to make sure everything is aligned efficiency and tech tree wise

if you use mks mod there are no material kits available. rover changes all workshops to use rocket parts. storage for that is available in the Kontainers that come with mks
Obi - was just scanning, ping me if we have any tech tree disjoints, might as well get those sorted as well and make sure I'm not introducing anything too early or too late.

I do have MKS installed and the Stock Lab still list carrying kits, maybe because I have a lab in orbit with an OSE-3000 both of which do still have kits on board. Also, Kontainers is farther down the tree on another unlock from where the Lab is.

I know that if you set the MaxPartVolume to a higher volume like 99999, the workshop sets the maximum amount the KIS storage amount its apart off. But it does not seems to be effected by inflatable storage space, both deflated as inflated.

Is this a bug or feature?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.