[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

2 hours ago, The Optimist said:

Also, one would think that the "vastly superior" turboprop engines would be able to fly easily without bending the laws of physics.

Azimech's, Pds's, and my planes all fly fine without changing the physics. Just poorly. I doubt they would get much faster than 100 m/s but it can be done.

@Jon144 What did you post in order to get twice as much rep as your post count?

5 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

@Jon144 What did you post in order to get twice as much rep as your post count?

Just don't engage in conversation. Only post craft you make. Don't worry about post-rep ratio man, it's pointless. I used to have a higher rep than post count but as I said I used to only post craft and not get involved in conversations. I stopped caring after a while as I had so much rep from posting craft my post count seemed immaterial. Focus on the content, the craft.

32 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Just don't engage in conversation. Only post craft you make. Don't worry about post-rep ratio man, it's pointless. I used to have a higher rep than post count but as I said I used to only post craft and not get involved in conversations. I stopped caring after a while as I had so much rep from posting craft my post count seemed immaterial. Focus on the content, the craft.

I don't care, I was just surprised at how he had more than double his post count in rep. It is high too. Not like 6 posts and 12 rep but something noteworthy.

Guys is it possible to make an airplane like the wyvern? wyvern is a really intersting design because of its turboprop engine and especially its propelers dont know how send images Sry :/ Just google it there is a wiki page too :Dwaiting for reply :)

Edited by Brownie352
I dont think it has a turboprop engine woops

5 minutes ago, Brownie352 said:

Guys is it possible to make an airplane like the wyvern? wyvern is a really intersting design because of its turboprop engine and especially its propelers dont know how send images Sry :/ Just google it there is a wiki page too :Dwaiting for reply :)

Ah, a coaxial! Yes it's possible to build them, I invented them in KSP and someone else has made a tiny coaxial helicopter recently.

How did I get my post to rep count? I obviously created 1200 alternate accounts to rep myself? Obviously. :D

Not that it was like 10x easier to get rep on the old forums.

And yeah usually I spend so much time building that takes away from time chatting. That's why the rep ratio is pointless.

Edited by Jon144

Well ... at least it flies.

Powered by a modified Chakora v1 engine.

S9n5VgE.png

avVUVKx.png

Ts1Ga2P.png

Disclaimer: any resemblance to a soviet helicopter is surely coincidental.

Disclaimer 2: In no way do the images represent a final product.

36 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Well ... at least it flies.

Powered by a modified Chakora v1 engine.

S9n5VgE.png

avVUVKx.png

Ts1Ga2P.png

Disclaimer: any resemblance to a soviet helicopter is surely coincidental.

Disclaimer 2: In no way do the images represent a final product.

Yikes. Is that what I see to be... A single rotor stock helicopter!? Are you even Azimech anymore?

33 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

Yikes. Is that what I see to be... A single rotor stock helicopter!? Are you even Azimech anymore?

LOL

Well ... my first turboshaft helicopter was a single rotor ... today I was fighting with this big frakker and got totally annoyed. 

6byFC4o.png

jBHTsqh.png

8Q7VQrj.png

7djcBET.png

aBeJ2V4.png

RUZ57Qi.png

0wJ24oV.png

jNM4eKz.png

Sqz2Da1.png

I've been thinking... If a KOS code can be created to adjust blade pitch to maintain a certain rpm... Could a much more advanced code be created to individually actuate surfaces on a helicopter rotor? As a substitute for the eternally breaking swashplate? Or do the surfaces simply move too slowly for them to travel any significant distance as the rotor whips around?

Disclaimer: This is only a theoretical thing. I am not asking anyone to do this. If anyone is going to hurt his/her brain doing this, I'll do it!

4 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I've been thinking... If a KOS code can be created to adjust blade pitch to maintain a certain rpm... Could a much more advanced code be created to individually actuate surfaces on a helicopter rotor? As a substitute for the eternally breaking swashplate? Or do the surfaces simply move too slowly for them to travel any significant distance as the rotor whips around?

Disclaimer: This is only a theoretical thing. I am not asking anyone to do this. If anyone is going to hurt his/her brain doing this, I'll do it!

Uhhhhhhh. I don't think that's possible. You would have to code it to actuate control surfaces on a certain axis of the craft. Not just actuate one surface at a time. At the speeds necessary to lift a vehicle, I don't think the surfaces move fast enough to have any effect on the attitude.

8 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Uhhhhhhh. I don't think that's possible. You would have to code it to actuate control surfaces on a certain axis of the craft. Not just actuate one surface at a time. At the speeds necessary to lift a vehicle, I don't think the surfaces move fast enough to have any effect on the attitude.

Well what I meant  by individually actuate was actuate them all by different amounts to get cyclic and collective inputs.

And yah, you're probably right that the rotor just spins way too fast... Ima go take a look at the actuation speeds and see how far the fastest ones could move in 1/2 rotation of my heli's rotor.

Probably like 1-2 degrees

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Current design:UFAldGe.png

Doesn't work at all. Cant get any head speed for some reason. Tail rotor spins at 40 rad/s and main rotor spins at 18 rad/s     uhhg

when this exact engine is on a plane it makes 52 rad/s so I have no idea why it hardly spins at all here. There's not much more mass to spin either. Its just essentially my plane prop times 2.

11 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Current design:UFAldGe.png

Doesn't work at all. Cant get any head speed for some reason. Tail rotor spins at 40 rad/s and main rotor spins at 18 rad/s     uhhg

when this exact engine is on a plane it makes 52 rad/s so I have no idea why it hardly spins at all here. There's not much more mass to spin either. Its just essentially my plane prop times 2.

Errordynamics™

@Gman_builder I find that helicopter main rotors typically work best with very low blade angles. As in about 5 degrees, possible less at the tips for large rotor. They need the low angle of attack to maintain rpm and thus lift under the load of the heli

2 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Good to know, thanks!

Yep. Even though you would think higher angles would equate to higher lift it also equates to far more drag. So increasing angles on rotor blades too much will actually make them less efficient and under-performing. Decreasing the angle of the blades the farther the distance from the center also helps. I have that rotor design incorporated into the Kinchook to increase efficiency.

3 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

Yep. Even though you would think higher angles would equate to higher lift it also equates to far more drag. So increasing angles on rotor blades too much will actually make them less efficient and under-performing. Decreasing the angle of the blades the farther the distance from the center also helps. I have that rotor design incorporated into the Kinchook to increase efficiency.

By the way I've been meaning to ask, how fast do the rotors on your Kinchook spin? I've been testing tip-jet rotors for efficiency but they keep ripping apart on me!

8 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

By the way I've been meaning to ask, how fast do the rotors on your Kinchook spin? I've been testing tip-jet rotors for efficiency but they keep ripping apart on me!

I forgot. Dont have the fancy mods that tell like Azimech has. I have a video of them on full speed so maybe you can guestimate from that. But yeah pretty fast if you ask me. Engine-tipped rotors are usually far better performing than turboshafts which means a lot more weight speed etc. to deal with that requires strong and reliable bearings that are purpose built.

Edited by Jon144

6 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

I forgot. Dont have the fancy mods that tell like Azimech has. I have a video of them on full speed so maybe you can guestimate from that. But yeah pretty fast if you ask me. Engine-tipped rotors are usually far better performing than turboshafts which means a lot more weight speed etc. to deal with that requires strong and reliable bearings that are purpose built.

You actually don't need mods to tell rpm. If you open the alt+f12 menu, click the physics then aero tab, and click display, you will get a whole bunch of stats. Switch to the rotor and it will give you it's "roll" ---> spin rate in degrees per second

I would do this myself except I'm on mobile right now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.