Proper Fairings ASAP

How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?  

644 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?

• Confetti style
    • Clamshell style
    • Adjustable Options (eg: 1,2,3, or 4 clamshell pieces)
    • Do not care/unimportant

I agree. but if each segment had its own staging you could just stage the bottom one (root part) first. the segments further up would float away still attached to the bottom one.

but I lold when I saw that picture.

reminded me of when homer opens a bag of potato chips in space.

http://i.imgur.com/yOjzTQb.png

careful! they're ruffled!

It would force us to create a space homer, unified space chip eater though. But the amount of debris is just too excessive, standard fairings are a requirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPGDWD_oLE

Edited by KrazyKrl

Im 80% sure the fairings will dissapear when you get too far from them, wont be persistent just like the fairings we already have for the nuke engine. It shouldnt be a problem for debris. the problem is the way they implemented it is ugly and uncool in my opinion.

I guess it's time for the next grassroots forum movement. Can anyone think of a clever avatar to get the idea across? :P

- - - Updated - - -

We saved the Round 8, so we know they listen to some feedback.

Twitter hashtags :3

It would be nice if the large fairings split (vertically) in three parts instead of two, or, even better, the option to choose how many parts the fairing splits into.

Also, a problem with large fairings is that the game likes to eject them from the bottom rather than at the top, and with no way of adding sepratrons on the fairings, the top of the fairings could end up hitting the accelerating rocket below.

One of the Devs seems to have commented on this issue in the Squadcast Summary thread.

They first commented on how Fairing debris would work.

I know this with pretty good accuracy and reliability, so I'll answer this.

The fairings are set up like the broken solar panels are. When seperated, the fairings are not created as traditional vessel debris - this understandably means that having lots of little fairing segments breaking off isn't as much of a performance hit as it would be if they were debris.

As for if Fairings would split into a bunch of pieces like they currently do:

Currently, yes. Will they in a release version? We will have to see.

Somebody start a poll.

Please include a "Shut up and get back to work" option.

And I DO NOT mean SQUAD should get back to work. You guys should. Once a gain the community is drawing conclusions based on a single image. Even if the fairings will initially split into multiple parts that doesn't mean it will be like that forever. We all know the game is under continuous development.

And the excuse of excessive debris is complete bovine faecal matter. If you shed your fairings before circulization, while you're still on a sub-orbital trajectory, they will fall back, burn up and be removed.

Nope. In respectful disagreement with you Tex...

If the game was already out of early access then I might be inclined to agree with you on a number of levels. But the purpose of early access is to get funding and also input regarding design.

IMO this item then fully constitutes a valid topic for discussion (among many others)

ON TOPIC: I would support the option for fairing staging as mentioned a few posts up - or perhaps a Binding tag as a tweakable to bond various fairing pieces together (which might allow interesting non-clamshell separation structures to be configured)

Maybe it depends on the staging, maybe they had all the parts going off, it is not because its many part fairing, kw fairings are many part but only the top seperates from the ship, since in kw, the low fairings are attached to the floating nose, bu I think staging only the bottom will be enough, but it will spin in the way you don't want it to, so a weak, low fueled sepatron should do.

- - - Updated - - -

So no floating fairing debris? Dammit, I want fairing debri!!

Hey man, sorry I didn't see this thread.

What Squad need to do is be better than the mods and better than our stock fairings. So, choice is the way to go. Give us some!

Let us choose how many pieces it separates into. Let us choose which sides come off first. Let us choose if they separate into no pieces (inter-stage).

LET US CHOOSE.

- - - Updated - - -

Please include a "Shut up and get back to work" option.

And I DO NOT mean SQUAD should get back to work. You guys should. Once a gain the community is drawing conclusions based on a single image. Even if the fairings will initially split into multiple parts that doesn't mean it will be like that forever. We all know the game is under continuous development.

And the excuse of excessive debris is complete bovine faecal matter. If you shed your fairings before circulization, while you're still on a sub-orbital trajectory, they will fall back, burn up and be removed.

Mate, try not to turn every thread you join into a flame war. Thanks.

What Squad need to do is be better than the mods...

This is pretty much it. Many of us have been using KW or proc fairings for a while now. Both made by people who received no money for their work. You just, sort of, expect the official version to be better than the amateur effort. (amateur, as in, non-profit)

The KSP community reminds me of this bit sometimes.

Squad: Hey guys! We baked you a cake!

KSP Forum: BUT WE WANTED WHIPPED CREAM. WHERE IS OUR WHIPPED CREAM?!?

"IT'S GOING TO SPACE! GIVE IT A SECOND. LET IT GET BACK. FROM SPACE."

Louis C.K. is one of the best comedians. His view of the miracle of human flight just makes the Space Station even cooler.

Edited by GregroxMun

Heres the thing for me. When I stage the nuke engine and the 2 bits of outer shell fly away, twirling slowly like the last two leaves from a maple tree in November, It looks awesome, and I feel cool.

But If I pop the fairing off of my new satellite, and It looks like I'm surrounded by dozens of schoolkids failed paper-mache projects, I dont think I will feel so cool.

The nuke engine faring is an interstage, it either break up in 2-3 parts like the nuclear engine faring or its just left on lower stage as on most shorter engines.

Hopefully we can use the new farings as inter stage ones too and not have faring on the nuclear engines, they are mostly used with 2.5 meter or larger parts anyway and often grouped.

Else I agree that faring parts should stay together, it looks far better and would also be safer. You might want to drop it during burn if you have an upper stage with low twr.

Not sure how hard making the parts stay together would be but think it should be doable. separation edge just horizontally and on edges.

Pointing to a real life example, Soyuz has a fairing that is split both horizontally and vertically. Vertical splits during an abort. Horizontal during a regular launch. Note it does not split into 4 pieces - not on purpose anyway.

I said this on my blog and I think it's appropriate to say it again here:

With the overhauled aerodynamics and all the features and parts that come with it, I literally have no reason to run any mods anymore, maybe other than one or two beautification mods and small things like KAS and Chatterer.

I'm also really pleased that the loading time for a stock install has been cut down to less than half of what it is currently, with all the optimisations Squad has done.

The only thing that's stopping this from being perfect is the weird fairing separation, but from looking through this thread, it looks as though it's being sorted out. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.