Women who play KSP

CosmicCharlie

Who plays KSP?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. I play KSP and I am a

• male
    • female

1 minute ago, katateochi said:

poll is insufficient, I self identify as a probe core. 

Yeah, that's another good point. There's no "Prefer not to say" or maybe someone who identifies with something other than "Male" and "Female"?

I'm oddly offended by this whole thread.

10 minutes ago, fs10inator said:

( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

These guys make it better tho

12 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Gender is irrelevant here. Does it really matter?

I agree it is totally irrelevant. That being said, beyond gender I would be interested in knowing the general break-down of the community on various statistical grounds. I can't see any realistic way of doing it, nor any particular benefit beyond personal interest, but I think it would be interesting to see a break down of the population on terms of:

Gender (including a few other options, such as an "identify as neither" option)

Country of birth

Country of residence

Current level of education

Intended level of education

How often do you play computer games (check boxes)

Favorite game mode (sandbox, science, or career)

Maybe some others...

Now that would be interesting... impossible to organize in a way that makes the results statistically viable, also enormous care would need to be taken to ensure safety and anonymity, particularly of the young folk. But the results would be very interesting none the less.   

Edited by Tourist

Just now, TrooperCooper said:

The real question is... is beeing woman while playing KSP considered cheating? :P

Only if they are using mechjeb (walks in slow mo towards camera in anticipation of explosion)

21 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Folks, even if a thread is not of interest to you, please don't mock it. We don't want to create a climate in which people are reluctant to post because they're afraid they will be made fun of. 

I mean... Sorry for being a feminist or whatever it is but what if someone isn't a male or female? I'm by no means making fun of the OP, I'm simply stating that those aren't the only things people can be, and even if it was this is irrelevant to little green men in little planets / real space travel, which doesn't really care about gender either way. Sue me. 

Threads like this have been locked before...but Vanamonde has obviously seen it and he hasn't locked this one yet ('less somebody spoofin' his account)...so I guess I don't know what to think.

However, I certainly can't identify any regular users as male or female. 'Course, I ain't been lookin', neither.

51 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Folks, even if a thread is not of interest to you, please don't mock it. We don't want to create a climate in which people are reluctant to post because they're afraid they will be made fun of. 

That seems reasonable. On the other hand though, wouldn't you want to avoid creating a climate that is exclusionary to any group? IMO, this thread serves no relevant purpose other than to be divisive. At best it will provide inaccurate results, at worst it'll make segments of the player base feel alienated (and not the Kerbal kind).

Creeper issues aside, it is kind of an interesting question.  I teach at a college, and right now there's a big push to get women into STEM.  If you're a woman, and you want to be an engineer or a computer programmer, there are entire organizations that will throw bags of money at you, put you on posters and write journal articles about you.  Female participation in STEM-related activities is historically low, although it is starting to improve.  So from a purely statistical standpoint, individual identities notwithstanding, it would be interesting in an academic sense to know how many members of the KSP community are women, engaging in a recreational activity that is a STEM experience at its core.  I don't think it has to be a comparative thing, but I would be interested to see if the participation rates are similar to what we're seeing in STEM programs in higher ed.

Of course, if this is just an excuse for the OP to find girls to stalk, that's just uncool.

Well, as of now I know of two players that are female.

..........Okay! Life goes on. It's a Wednesday.

37 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I'm a woman AND I use MechJeb. I don't think it's cheating.

**GASP!!**

:D

As you were...