[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Well... despite my optimism with managing a 3.2x Iota miner, my hopes were soon crushed by the realisation that a return trip to Niven will need in the region of 11,000m/s in LGO.

Holy macaroni that's a lot! On top of the 5500m/s it'll take to get to LGO! :confused:

Still, at least Tellumo's nice to look at... in a "look but don't touch" sort of way...

FXNwJdr.jpg

(Basically I'm toying with either reducing the scale to 1x, or turning off heating so's I can aerobrake at insane speeds. This... this was not the planetary setup to be using with 10% science income. It's getting to the point where I'll have to launch ships of several thousand tons and endure a lagfest in the process, and that wasn't really part of my plans :( )

Edit: no, forget that. What it means is I have to send one-way probes out to everywhere first. With my new science lab in LGO, I can get a 5x multiplier on all the data coming back. My problem is that I've gotten hung up on the "explore body" contracts that absolutely insist I land on Niven and return. Sod that, I'll just have to probe places without the explore contracts. I'll still get a lot of money back from it, and by the time I'm done with the gas giants, hopefully I'll have enough data to really get things moving! Although if I get that far and still can't manage a return trip, then I shall chicken out and reduce the scale :P 

Edited by eddiew

16 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Rald?  What the heck is Rald?

Rald is a Mars-like planet (though not as lifeless, it has greens and oceans and an intriguing atmosphere curve) produced by @KerikBalm and @eddiew. It similarly had a lot of soul put into it as any GPP world and has many configurations for alternate positions in the stock solar system. After a hefty struggle to get it to agree with GPP and Scatterer, well, there it is.

If you check out his mission logs, linked in his sig, you'll see a lot of Rald action in his first season when he did a science quest through Stock + OPM.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

9 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Rald is a Mars-like planet (though not as lifeless, it has greens and oceans and an intriguing atmosphere curve) produced by @KerikBalm and @eddiew.

Just to clarify, I did nothing involving the production of Rald other than be one of the first to take screenshots and publicise it :)  Except maybe nag @KerikBalm enough that he kept an optional Kerbin-moon config for it even though he prefers it out at Duna :D 

Also it never did agree with GPP+Scatterer. For reasons I failed to diagnose, it makes the universe go black beyond a few hundred metres from the camera whenever it's Scatterer config is enabled, so I just had to turn that off and accept it with a vanilla sky :( 

But I still liked it enough that I thought it would be fun in GPP as a moon of Tellumo. Nice, plane-friendly world, with lots of biomes and that massive cloaca-tease dominating the sky for decades while I don't have the tech to go there :P 

Edited by eddiew

3 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Just to clarify, I did nothing involving the production of Rald other than be one of the first to take screenshots and publicise it :)  Except maybe nag @KerikBalm enough that he kept an optional Kerbin-moon config for it even though he prefers it out at Duna :D 

Also it never did agree with GPP+Scatterer. For reasons I failed to diagnose, it makes the universe go black beyond a few hundred metres from the camera whenever it's Scatterer config is enabled, so I just had to turn that off and accept it with a vanilla sky :( 

But I still liked it enough that I thought it would be fun in GPP as a moon of Tellumo. Nice, plane-friendly world, with lots of biomes and that massive cloaca-tease dominating the sky for decades while I don't have the tech to go there :P 

Would you mind sharing whatever changes you made to park it in Tellumo orbit? That looks amazing, and as someone just about to take their career space-program interplanetary, I'd love to retcon that into my game.

@eddiew I consider someone part of a dev team if they're the one who gets its hype train rolling. Moreover I have a strong impression that contributed a lot of consultation and troubleshooting as that should come naturally if you play enough to produce promo content. I started similarly for GPP with the Elite-Dangerous style KSPedia and other promo artwork, and building upon the earliest artwork first produced by @Galileo

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@OhioBob ...Carbon planet? Or other reason? :) *curious about that now*

I really don't like the way Thalia looks from the surface.  Even though the planet has a low albedo, it should look much brighter than it does to the eye.  Similar to the way the dark lunar surface appears relatively bright in Apollo photographs.  There should be way more contrast between the surface and the black sky.  I don't know if there is anything we can do about it, however.

In regard to the carbon issue, I gave Thalia an albedo of 0.15, which is too high for a typical carbonaceous body.  C-type asteroids usually have albedos of 0.3-0.1.  However, the 0.15 albedo might be a bit to high based on its color (on reevaluation, I don't think I computed the albedos correctly).  It might actually be ≤0.1.  So although that's dark enough, the color is wrong.  Thalia is mostly rust color.  If it were carbon it would probably be shades of dark gray.

5 minutes ago, billybob579 said:

Would you mind sharing whatever changes you made to park it in Tellumo orbit? That looks amazing, and as someone just about to take their career space-program interplanetary, I'd love to retcon that into my game.

Basically take the moon config, edit it and replace "Kerbin" with "Tellumo". And increase the orbit radius to whatever you feel is right :)

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@eddiew I consider someone part of a dev team if they're the one who gets its hype train rolling. Moreover I have a strong impression that contributed a lot of consultation and troubleshooting as that should come naturally if you play enough to produce promo content. I started similarly for GPP with the Elite-Dangerous style KSPedia and other promo artwork, and building upon the earliest artwork first produced by @Galileo

I would accept playtesting :)  on the whole it had no troubles to shoot, but I'll be happy if my mission reports were useful to the development ^^

16 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Rald?  What the heck is Rald?

Its a planet I made that was based on (and uses data from) the RSS Mars data.

So, the first thing I did was rescale it to be duna sized, and give it an ocean... pictures from those early versions here:

Spoiler

y2qG42V.png

Wvd3Ghg.png

mn9v67a.png

Then next I adjusted the color maps to remove some red from the lower elevations and add green. It took some iterations to get a color that I was happy with

Spoiler

3UK2MAB.jpg

KME9U6b.png

RnHEBFZ.png

8wqyBkD.png

Then of course, there was adding scatterer and clouds to make it prettier:

RVWg6Y2.png

y0j73i8.png

Spoiler

QD7heeJ.png

fl9TO4Y.png

And I tried some different atmosphere colors for it... from blue skies like kerbin, reddish skies like duna, grey skies... purple-ish skies

Spoiler

qIGoVnx.png

g6G267C.png

qeqWp7v.png

twsAHgC.png

8T9klGP.png

I defined biomes for it, gave it some custom science reports, then I played around with ground scatter, there are little grasses down low, only red rocks up high. I also added some "easter egg" features:

Spoiler

ZZbV4Q2.png

bYey5VV.png

43mIHlP.png

but... I've never been quite sure where to put it, or how big to make it, and I encourage people to move it and re-size it as they like. I've put it in geostationary orbit of Kerbin

dGXk4gf.png

I've put it where minmus is, and made minmus a moon of Rald:

DVnsrjY.png

I've put it at Kerbin's L4. I put it where duna was, made it bigger, and made duna a moon of it...

I've had it Duna sized (320km radius) with 10% higher gravity (0.33 G), to nearly laythe sized (450 Km, 0.5 G's)

Spoiler

Small, Geosynch of Kerbin:

rqZISz0.png

larger, take's Duna's previous place:

RGZjQXq.png

WbZ4AJT.png

***note, this was before I fixed the SOIs

QDvfP57.png

I even imitated GregoxMun's "Alien Space Program" series ("moving" KSC to Duna/Laythe/Eve), and put KSC on Rald.

Spoiler

Seen here, with rald displacing Duna 

*note, the title screen shows Duna much closer than it actually is

AvKBtdF.png

6ocyOkE.png

but... its just 1 planet,  (often a moon), with no particular place to go... so I'm happy to see it stuck in with some other mods.

22 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Reveal hidden contents

3UK2MAB.jpg

KME9U6b.png

RnHEBFZ.png

8wqyBkD.png

Then of course, there was adding scatterer and clouds to make it prettier:

RVWg6Y2.png

y0j73i8.png

Ooooooooohhhh where can I get these clouds? I don't recall seeing them in the zip. 

Also (and actually relevant to this thread), any idea why Rald's Scatterer conig doesn't play nice with GOP?

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ooooooooohhhh where can I get these clouds? I don't recall seeing them in the zip. 

Also (and actually relevant to this thread), any idea why Rald's Scatterer conig doesn't play nice with GOP?

Just for shiggles I'm going to troubleshoot that right now. Kerikbalm and Galileo never collaborated so Scatterer compatibility cannot be promised. Also, Rald's scatterer config at least adds entries for all the stock planets (which I assume is redundant) and itself, and doesn't append to GPP's scatterer config. Eddie must be coasting on NREs or other redundancy-based errors just for that. :/ 

57 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I really don't like the way Thalia looks from the surface.  Even though the planet has a low albedo, it should look much brighter than it does to the eye.  Similar to the way the dark lunar surface appears relatively bright in Apollo photographs.  There should be way more contrast between the surface and the black sky.  I don't know if there is anything we can do about it, however.

In regard to the carbon issue, I gave Thalia an albedo of 0.15, which is too high for a typical carbonaceous body.  C-type asteroids usually have albedos of 0.3-0.1.  However, the 0.15 albedo might be a bit to high based on its color (on reevaluation, I don't think I computed the albedos correctly).  It might actually be ≤0.1.  So although that's dark enough, the color is wrong.  Thalia is mostly rust color.  If it were carbon it would probably be shades of dark gray.

I mean, I can keep the same texture and just alter the brightness a little. Might help.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Just for shiggles I'm going to troubleshoot that right now. Kerikbalm and Galileo never collaborated so Scatterer compatibility cannot be promised. Also, Rald's scatterer config at least adds entries for all the stock planets (which I assume is redundant) and itself, and doesn't append to GPP's scatterer config. Eddie must be coasting on NREs or other redundancy-based errors just for that. :/ 

Shiggles. :sticktongue:

FWIW, when I gave it a try I just copy & pasted the relevant bit for Rald into the GPP scatterer config. It was, most certainly, throwing a long stream of errors. But you've probably found that by now. 

The graphucal bugs were... odd, to say the least. Like looking at the KSC screen thru binoculars. 

2nd post.. Ive tried everything that I know to get RemoteTech to work.  Changing the 1 to 5 and patching everything to latest.  So what is the trick if this planet pack now works with it?

I used the in game hyper edit and found one station that will connect, but it is no place near KSC and close to the middle of the planet.

Edited by acidpaintball
location of connection

@CatastrophicFailure I've done a lot of troubleshooting and found nothing to celebrate about. I got a few visible errors but it's out of my hands where big things like an actual atmosphere glow and terminator are concerned. But I did realize that Lili doesn't cast her shadow on Tellumo and I can fix that.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@CatastrophicFailure I've done a lot of troubleshooting and found nothing to celebrate about. I got a few visible errors but it's out of my hands where big things like an actual atmosphere glow and terminator are concerned. But I did realize that Lili doesn't cast her shadow on Tellumo and I can fix that.

Well... poop. ;.;

But thanx for trying. :D I don't suppose logs would help? You've probably got those...

Maybe more your area, how could I setup some clouds for Rald? Maybe pilfer the textures from what's already in GPP?

Also, @Galileo, I see that at 6.4 scale, Gael has an odd rotation period... literally. 15:57:55 I think. Is that by design or just a quirk of the scaler? How can I calculate the exact geostationary orbit?

2 hours ago, acidpaintball said:

2nd post.. Ive tried everything that I know to get RemoteTech to work.  Changing the 1 to 5 and patching everything to latest.  So what is the trick if this planet pack now works with it?

I used the in game hyper edit and found one station that will connect, but it is no place near KSC and close to the middle of the planet.

I'll take a look when I get a chance

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I should probably figure out a way to make it a seperate config...

What I did to make the clouds is to go into the EVE folder: GameData > BoulderCo > Atmosphere > clouds.cfg

I then copied the duna entry, pasted it again, and changed Duna to Rald

Spoiler

OBJECT
    {
        name = Rald-clouds1
        body = Rald
        altitude = 8000
        detailSpeed = 0,6,0
        settings
        {
            _DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
            _UVNoiseTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/uvnoise1
            _UVNoiseScale = 0.05
            _UVNoiseStrength = 0.005
            _UVNoiseAnimation = 0.5,0.02
            _DetailScale = 20
            _Color = 150,150,150,255
            _MainTex
            {
                value = BoulderCo/Textures/cube
                type = AlphaCubeMap
                alphaMask = ALPHAMAP_G
            }
        }
        layer2D
        {
            shadowMaterial
            {
            }
            macroCloudMaterial
            {
                _DetailDist = 2E-06
            }
        }
        layerVolume
        {
            size = 4000,2
            maxTranslation = 0,100,0
            particleMaterial
            {
                _Tex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
                _BumpMap = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/particle_NRM
                _LightScatter = 0.55
            }
        }
    }

So I copied Duna's cloud entry, pasted right after what I copied, and changed the things in Bold, 

Likewise, for the scatterer config.

GameData > scatterer > config > planetList.cfg

I added this:

Spoiler

Item
        {
            celestialBodyName = Rald
            transformName = Rald
            loadDistance = 100000000
            unloadDistance = 200000000
            hasOcean = True
            eclipseCasters
            {
                Item = Duna
            }
            planetshineSources
            {
                Item
                {
                    bodyName = Duna
                    color = 1,0.3,0.1
                    intensity = 0.1799999982
                    isSun = False
                }
            }
        }

Of course, that is for the version with Duna orbiting it, but maybe you can find the scatterer config for GPP, and directly add the entry there (I suggest Omitting planetshine for now)?

You'll still need to add the folder for rald at

GameData > scatterer > config > Planets >

The rald folder should contain: "atmo.cfg" , "ocean.cfg" , and a folder called "Atmo" which contains "inscatter.half" , "irradiance.half", and "transmittance.half"

10 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Also, Rald's scatterer config at least adds entries for all the stock planets (which I assume is redundant) and itself, and doesn't append to GPP's scatterer config. Eddie must be coasting on NREs or other redundancy-based errors just for that. :/ 

Yea, I wonder if that might be the problem. The thing is on my computer, its not redundant because I just modified the original scatterer config. Its a replacement, not an addition. I should figure out how to do an addition, its probably not very hard, I'll look at OPM for inspiration.

ok, here is what I'm running on my install now... I've separated the scatterer and eve files for rald from the files for stock.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3uaxblovog9wi9/RaldRelease.zip?dl=0

Edited by KerikBalm

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

[...]

Also, @Galileo, I see that at 6.4 scale, Gael has an odd rotation period... literally. 15:57:55 I think. Is that by design or just a quirk of the scaler? How can I calculate the exact geostationary orbit?

I rescale with Sigma Dimensions by specifying two of the { Resize, Rescale, dayLengthMultiplier } parameters and deriving the third using Kepler's law. For example, with 6.4x planets and a 24-hour day, set the Rescale parameter to (6.4 * 4.0)2/3 = 8.686...

This preserves whatever spin/orbit resonances were in the original, so you can find the new synchronous SMA by taking the plain unscaled value and multiplying by the Rescale parameter.

Edit for clarity: I specify the size and time and derive the scale because I find that a non-round Rescale parameter is less awkward, for me, than a non-round day length for the home body. (6.4 * 2.5)2/3 = 6.3496...

Edited by CSE

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That's by design, though it should be 14:57:55.  The length of the solar day is 6 hours at 1x, 12 hours at 3.2x, 15 hours at 6.4x, and 18 hours at 10x.  What you see in the Tracking Station is the sidereal period.  At 6.4x the length of Gael's year is 431 days, so its sidereal day is, 15*431/432 = 14.965267 hours = 14:57:55.

With the current GPP release, the game clock/calendar still uses 6-hour days and a 426-day year, which is hardcoded into KSP.  Kopercinus includes a feature to change the clock/calendar to use the rotation and orbital periods of the home world for the lengths of the day and year, but this was bugged at the time of the last GPP release.  Kopernicus release 3 fixes this.  The next update of GPP will implement this feature so that the game clock/calendar is in sync with the periods of Gael.

13 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

How can I calculate the exact geostationary orbit?

I just realized I didn't answer the second part of your question.  The equation for orbital period is,

P = 2 π (a³ / μ)1/2

where P = period (seconds), a  = semimajor axis (meters), and μ = gravitational parameter (m³/s²).  Rearranging to solve for semimajor axis from the period, we get

a = ( μ (P / (2 π))² )1/3

For 1x Gael,  μ = 3.530394E+12 m³/s².  For other sized solar systems, multiply μ by the square of the resize factor.  So for a 6.4x system, μ = 3.530394E+12 * 6.4² = 1.4460493824E+14 m³/s².

For P use the sidereal rotation period of the planet.  The sidereal periods for Gael are,

1x = 21549.4231430036 s
3.2x = 43086.9186985699 s
6.4x = 53875.0236462394 s
10x = 64656.0139109445 s

Computing the geosynchronous semimajor axis for a 6.4x Gael, we have

a = ( 1.4460493824E+14 * ( 53875.0236462394 / (2 π))² )1/3 = 21,988,694.48 meters.

To express that as an altitude, we must subtract Gael's radius,

Geosynchronous altitude = 21,988,694.48 - 600,000*6.4 = 18,148,694.48 meters.

18 hours ago, CSE said:

I rescale with Sigma Dimensions by specifying two of the { Resize, Rescale, dayLengthMultiplier } parameters and deriving the third using Kepler's law. For example, with 6.4x planets and a 24-hour day, set the Rescale parameter to (6.4 * 4.0)2/3 = 8.686...

This preserves whatever spin/orbit resonances were in the original, so you can find the new synchronous SMA by taking the plain unscaled value and multiplying by the Rescale parameter.

Edit for clarity: I specify the size and time and derive the scale because I find that a non-round Rescale parameter is less awkward, for me, than a non-round day length for the home body. (6.4 * 2.5)2/3 = 6.3496...

We made no attempt to preserve those resonances.  When we upsized the solar system, we increased all dimensions proportionately, i.e. resize = rescale.  The 12, 15 and 18 hour days were selected for a couple reasons.

First, I wanted to make it so that the number of orbits completed by a craft in low Gael orbit in one day remained approximately the same.   I thought that might provide some consistency and familiarity between the different sized systems.  For instance, during a reentry the amount that the planet rotates between deorbit burn and landing will be about the same regardless of which sized system you're playing.  I didn't get it perfect because I rounded the days off to whole hours.  At minimum orbital altitude (top of atmosphere) the number of orbits completed at 1x, 3.2x, 6.4x and 10x in one sidereal rotation period are 11.8, 14.4, 13.1, and 12.8 respectively.  I could have gotten the numbers to work out closer but for the second reason...

The second reason was because I wanted the number of days in a year to come out close to a whole number.  The sidereal orbital periods for the three different sized systems are 4572.312, 6466.226, and 8082.783 hours respectively.  Divided into days that works out to,

4572.312 / 12 = 381.0260
6466.226 / 15 = 431.0817
8082.783 / 18 = 449.0435

As you can see, in each case the division comes out pretty close to a whole integer.

The 12, 15 and 18 hours days are the numbers that got me closest to achieving both objectives.

Edited by OhioBob

Hey DOE, ....

GET OUT OF HERE IF YOU DON'T LIKE COLOURS!

COLOURS ARE 

\\ _ 
   \( •_•) F 
    < ⌒ヽ A 
   /   へ\ B 
   /  / \\ U 
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ L 
  / / O 
  / /| U 
 ( (ヽ S 
 | |、\

But the sun flairs are broken so no partey todey ;.;

If anyone wants to glance at my output: Click there -------->                                           -->here<--

Edited by DarkFighter