KSP Weekly: The discovery of the Kerbol... I mean TRAPPIST-1 system

SQUAD

"Kerbol" bugs me too.

Its not like we give everything in the solar system a name beginning with the syllable "Ear..." Like Earsol for the sun or Earpiter for a gas giant.

Its only just acceptable to have KERbals live on KERbin. Are we Earmans? Do we live on Huarth? 

There's no *real* reason not to name everything KER-something, its just that it goes against the grain.

I say give the star a name that is related to how real stars are named. I know most of them just have numbers, for obvious reasons, but there are some cool names.

Dont have to pick one of them (or do! Choose a real star! What are the possible drawbacks? A libel lawsuit?) but just dont have it begin with "Ker-".

I dont hate "K-syndrome" but its clumsy here.

Now I think it should be a real star. How cool would it be to point at it IRL and be like "KSP is set around THAT star!!"

Take the plunge, Squad, break the mold!

Its not like one day we will find out that the star has bad political ideologies and Squad has to issue a statement of non-condonement or some garbage :D

Greater idea: Make KSP set around Alpha Centauri.

Create and endgame where travel to a star roughly 4ly away is the goal.

(Its the Solar System, obvs.)

When you get there, you revert to a clean career but in RSS mode!

"Wow! Why are all these planets so huge! We'll never get our modular industrial infrastructure back off the surface! No matter, lets just set up a NEW KSC."

CAREER MODE EXTENDED

Edited by p1t1o

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually Sun is referred to Kerbol several times in-game, in contracts. Though I think this has more to do with the contracts being written by RoverDude and QA'd by the community than any intentional addition by Squad themselves.

Contracts were @Arsonide 's work not mine :)  

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Its only just acceptable to have KERbals live on KERbin

Kerbin doesn't look like a fashion capital.
"Kerb-" (i.e. a side of the road) looks close to the parts common definition "found at the side of the road". So, Kerbin sounds like some insignificant backyard planet.
Also Kerbals look like the frog Kermit, so probably, the K-truth is out there.

Kerbol looks like "kerb" + o l, a backyard Sol.
So, maybe, that's not "ker-bals" live on "ker-bin",  but "kerb-als" live on "kerb-in" (the backyarders live on the backyard under the backyard sun).

Also probably for cultures with strong Roman background the first K letter (rather than C) looks like something unusual, exotic.
So, we have KDE world with all software named with K... . (Also Gnome world with all G...) 

Other celestial bodies of course wouldn't be Kerb-, as they are just scenery for the star/planet/kerbals theatre.
Some of them are already named jokingly.

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

it should be a real star

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Make KSP set around Alpha Centauri.

If an Alpha Centauri 600-km planet makes 9.81 m/s2 on its surface, we have real problems, and a Martian backup vault wouldnt solve them.
Especially if it's the same with and without RSS installed.

(Some forum bug Occasionally inserted bb-code made the text stroken)

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

"Kerbol" bugs me too.

Its not like we give everything in the solar system a name beginning with the syllable "Ear..." Like Earsol for the sun or Earpiter for a gas giant.

Its only just acceptable to have KERbals live on KERbin. Are we Earmans? Do we live on Huarth? 

There's no *real* reason not to name everything KER-something, its just that it goes against the grain.

I say give the star a name that is related to how real stars are named. I know most of them just have numbers, for obvious reasons, but there are some cool names.

I may be wrong (as it was before my time) but I believe Kerbol comes from back when KSP had only the planet and the star in it. Kerbol is obviously derivitive, but when you've only got 2 bodies in a game called 'Kerbal Space Program' and one of them is called Kerbin, it sort of makes sense that the other must be 'Kerb-something' too.

And technically the correct term for all beings originating from this planet would be Terrans - of Terra.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

On 2/24/2017 at 7:01 PM, SQUAD said:

Finally we just want to let you know that we will make an important announcement in the forum next Thursday, March 2nd at 16:00 EST. So stay tuned!

Image result for the plot thickens

(Not sure how on topic this is, but I am excited for that announcement.)

For something more on topic, Kerbol is a weird name for the sun, especially since it is not an official name. A more official name might be interesting, but it makes sense that the kerbals would simply refer to their star as "the sun". Sol is the more official name for the sun, so in that context Kerbol makes sense.

Edited by LetsGoToMars!

It better be PC focused, and new CONTENT. If it's some lame announcement for console I'll write you off just like I did World Of Tanks when they recently gave console only players new items and shafted the community that BUILT them and GAVE THEM EVERYTHING they have.

The wiki is quite detailed about the origin of the word "Kerbol."  I wouldn't object to its formal adoption by Squad, its developed some inertia. But I agree with others that we get carried away with "adding K to every word." Recent promotions have been heavy-handed with "K" abuse. Only ONE celestial body name starts with "K", the home world; let's leave it at that.

16 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

And technically the correct term for all beings originating from this planet would be Terrans - of Terra.

"Earthman" is a reasonable name for inhabitants of Earth as well, and the closest real world analog I can think of for the Kerman/Kerbal/Kerbin relationship.

Personally "Kerbol" doesn't bother me, and seeing as its about as near to canon as it can be without actually being in the game anywhere I think changing it at this point would be kind of silly. That said, the similarity to the word "Kerbal" is a little awkward. And I'm not a huge fan of the K thing either, so if they were to change it I'd hope its new name was something unrelated to the whole "kerb" family of words.

Perhaps it's linguistics.

Ker = "that", bol = "stupid bright annoying thing that hurts to look at", bal = "individual", bin = "large expanse of dirt". Or whatever.

(I do not endorse any K-names beyond "Kerbin" "Kerbal" "Kerman" and, begrudgingly, "Kerbol". All others deserve fire)

Edited by NovaSilisko

5 hours ago, Hotaru said:

"Earthman"

Heh, good point!

11 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Some posts have been removed from this thread both to get things back on-topic and to head off what was turning into an argument. 

Dammit I ALWAYS miss these things....

Etymology aside, my main reason for not liking "Kerbol" is its a bit awkward to say, it doesn't "roll off the tongue" - kerb-BOL, kerbol. Sounds silly right? Kerbol. bol. bolbolbol. Kerb. Bol. Kerbol. Nah, dont like it.

2 hours ago, NovaSilisko said:

Perhaps it's linguistics.

Ker = "that", bol = "stupid bright annoying thing that hurts to look at", bal = "individual", bin = "large expanse of dirt". Or whatever.

(I do not endorse any K-names beyond "Kerbin" "Kerbal" "Kerman" and, begrudgingly, "Kerbol". All others deserve fire)

Considers banning the letter K again....

On 2/24/2017 at 6:17 PM, klgraham1013 said:

I'll be announcing whether or not I'm exciting about this on March 1st.  Stay tuned!

Okay.  Fine.  I'll keep my word.

Not excited about the secret feature.  Getting mildly excited for KSP 1.3, 1.2.3, 1.2.2b, or whatever it ends up being called.

Edited by klgraham1013

22 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Which they of course play in the Ker Bowl.

When they lose, do they...KerBawl?

Thanks, Im here all night.

I just noticed, the capsule on the front of the "MITE" magazine is the wrong way up, its doomed...

Edited by p1t1o

Waaay off-topic I know but if you are into government secret places then you might like to see a place near me where they built a giant death-ray to shoot down soviet planes during the Cold War. Have a look at 52.1052749,1.5769898 in Google maps Earth view. 

31 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Waaay off-topic I know but if you are into government secret places then you might like to see a place near me where they built a giant death-ray to shoot down soviet planes during the Cold War. Have a look at 52.1052749,1.5769898 in Google maps Earth view. 

Oh wow! I'd love to see that!

Well we're about an hour out from the important announcement, does that make it guess o'clock?

KSP 1.3 based on Unity 5.5.2?

KSP 1.2.2. console release, also bringing Console KSP to regions currently without?

More collab stuff like ARM/NASA, maybe with ULA (since EJSA and others were already making an official ULA pack for KSP), ESA, JAXA or SpaceX?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.