UomoCapra

KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

686 posts in this topic

Boy, you gotta admit the timing of this announcement for KSP and TakeTwo turning nearly the entire videogaming community against them couldn't have been worse.

6 people like this

On 6/22/2017 at 1:39 AM, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

I don't really think that's going to happen. The case would get laughed out of any court with even a mediocre judge and jury.

Missing the point that filing a lawsuit is too expensive for most of the victims in these cases, so they (like the GTA modders) basically have to give in, even if their legal rights are probably being violated.

On 22.6.2017 at 6:21 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

Rockstar literally has nothing to do related to KSP. Take Two bought the intellectual property of KSP and contracted Squad to continue development. Rockstar is the developer group that makes GTA, which is also owned by Take Two.

Missing the point here...

Looks like Take Two backed off a bit on their modding stance. Stuck at work, as usual, and my phone's a piece of crap, so I can't provide a link, but I just read a release that said, in essence, that single-player games won't be affected. You know everything's on a case by case basis, but they basically said any mods operating within basic code-protection guidelines would be left alone. I don't use mods myself, so this doesn't really impact me personally, but I know how important modding is to this game and this community, so anything that impacts it negatively definitely matters to me. Hopefully now everyone can breathe a little easier.

My $.02 here regarding TT and their mods stance, if you look at a game like GTA which is very specific gameplay vs. something like KSP which is an open sandbox, it's comparing apples to oranges.

KSP benefits from mods by users enhancing what you can do on your own (i.e. single player) whereas GTA mods impact gameplay experiences vs other players, which let's be honest in that game is all about pwning other players. 

Edited by scottadges
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Looks like Take Two backed off a bit on their modding stance. Stuck at work, as usual, and my phone's a piece of crap, so I can't provide a link, but I just read a release that said, in essence, that single-player games won't be affected. You know everything's on a case by case basis, but they basically said any mods operating within basic code-protection guidelines would be left alone. I don't use mods myself, so this doesn't really impact me personally, but I know how important modding is to this game and this community, so anything that impacts it negatively definitely matters to me. Hopefully now everyone can breathe a little easier.

The pressure worked. Hopefully when it comes to KSP, they will remember.

Apparently Rockstar has stepped in and OpenIV is back online. Not that it's directly relevant to the current discussion, but maybe T2 got a stern talking-to by Rockstar (not sure how that'd work), and is holding back the horde of lawyers...for now.

Phew. I know that I can breathe easier now. -_-

1 person likes this

On 6/21/2017 at 9:29 PM, TwinKerbal said:

But (as T2 may see it) all the moneys from multiplayer!  I'd think that T2 wants to expand the game audience.  So they're probably going to do so by making it more like a space war game, which would include multiplayer for sure.  

Unlikely, the amount of work it takes to morph KSP into a multiplayer wargame... Not to mention the risk T2 would take with alienating the proven audience of a succesful game. Succes in videogamrs is hard to predict, a d I doubt they are willing to jeapordize that.

Now, what they can do, as they own the IP rights of everything Kerbal, is come up with a new game, “Kerbal Space Wars,” that does such a thing. It would hardly be more work then rewriting KSP into such a game, it wouldn't estrange the KSP fanbase (as KSP continues to exist) and open up a new revenue stream, free from critique about their revenue model (if you don't like it, don't buy it). And maybe they will do just that.

On 22/06/2017 at 9:39 AM, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

But on what grounds would they call for a cease-and-desist? Because Take Two can't stand any competition? Because they want to make money off the player base while strangling the modding community to death?

By claiming that the mod violated the EULA all along, perhaps. Which arguably it did.

In any case, as the GTA situation showed, a big corporation can simply make legal threats backed up with their wallet. No real merit is required to simply intimidate their opponents into giving up.

2 hours ago, AverageJoeGuy said:

The pressure worked. Hopefully when it comes to KSP, they will remember.

It's true. The release said they received 77,000 signatures. With threats of boycotts of other T2 games (whether upheld or not), this apparently had an effect. That's a lot of money on the line.

How long till modding for KSP becomes illegal so they can milk this cash cow...? Who the heck does take-two think they are? EA?

</troll bait> :D