GeneCash

KSP shop on Shapeways is MIA

11 posts in this topic

So I got paid, and I was hoping to buy a couple Kerbal figures from Shapeways, but the store is gone. What's up with that?

Posted (edited)

That's not surprising. Whatever deal Squad had with Shapeways would likely no longer be valid since Squad no longer owns the Kerbal Space Program intellectual property; Squad can no longer authorize any third-party to use the Kerbal likeness for commercial products. My guess is at this point it would require Take-Two and Shapeways coming to some sort of new agreement to restart sales of KSP figures.

That being said, maybe a new arrangement is in the works between Take-Two and Shapeways, but I haven't seen any official mention of Shapeways since Squad sold KSP. It likely would not take a lot of time or work to restart sales if Take-Two wishes to do so.

I'm guessing Shapeways was printing to order; it's unlikely they keep a stock of figures, but even if they do I'd be surprised if they could sell anything until a new deal is made.

Edited by Mako

7 hours ago, GeneCash said:

So I got paid, and I was hoping to buy a couple Kerbal figures from Shapeways, but the store is gone. What's up with that?

Take 2 happened

Ah well, the figures were going to be a birthday present for a friend I was trying to get interested in the game. I guess I'll have to nip that in the bud.

I wish I'd known this before buying a new graphics card to play 1.3.

It was a lot of fun while it lasted, like HALO.

Posted (edited)

I should finish my coffee before replying.  

Edited by klesh
Answered a question not asked in the thread. Yikes. Finishing coffee!
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Mako said:

That's not surprising. Whatever deal Squad had with Shapeways would likely no longer be valid since Squad no longer owns the Kerbal Space Program intellectual property; Squad can no longer authorize any third-party to use the Kerbal likeness for commercial products. My guess is at this point it would require Take-Two and Shapeways coming to some sort of new agreement to restart sales of KSP figures.

That being said, maybe a new arrangement is in the works between Take-Two and Shapeways, but I haven't seen any official mention of Shapeways since Squad sold KSP. It likely would not take a lot of time or work to restart sales if Take-Two wishes to do so.

I'm guessing Shapeways was printing to order; it's unlikely they keep a stock of figures, but even if they do I'd be surprised if they could sell anything until a new deal is made.

Actually Shapeways closed shop iirc. I know Makershop and Eu3lid did.

I Know there was Cafe Press which made merchandise for KSP; I don't know what happened with them as Cafe Press still seems active.

Edited by ZooNamedGames
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Actually Shapeways closed shop iirc. I know Makershop and Eu3lid did.

I Know there was Cafe Press which made merchandise for KSP; I don't know what happened with them as Cafe Press still seems active.

Alas, poor Eu3lid.  I really wanted a nice printing of one of my crafts, but by the time I had both a worthy craft and the money for it, they were no longer doing that.

18 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Actually Shapeways closed shop iirc.

I Know there was Cafe Press which made merchandise for KSP; I don't know what happened with them as Cafe Press still seems active.

Shapeways appears to still be very much in business after a quick check of their website. It looks like they still have a lot to offer, but probably no Kerbals until they have a new deal worked out with Take-Two.

I wonder if anyone from Squad or Take-Two gave maintaining the Shapeways merchandise agreement a thought during the sale of KSP.

Edit:

I just checked that Cafe Press link you posted. I could be wrong, but that merchandise appears to be unaffiliated with Squad or Take-Two. It looks like it was created by a fan and I don't see anything that makes it look like those are officially licensed products.

Edited by Mako

Yeah, this happened last year if I recall correctly.

Not connected with the take 2 deal.

I've got a KSP mug from cafepress. Very nice quality print. Holds up well with over 18 months of use.

sadly I'll never have a shapeways kerbal rocket.

Then again legal stuff can take a long time to resolve, so who know how long the deal took to work out. For example: there were unresolved IP issues with Fallout long after Fallout 3 came out.

Edited by T.A.P.O.R.
1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Yeah, this happened last year if I recall correctly.

Not connected with the take 2 deal.

I've got a KSP mug from cafepress. Very nice quality print. Holds up well with over 18 months of use.

sadly I'll never have a shapeways kerbal rocket.

Then again legal stuff can take a long time to resolve, so who know how long the deal took to work out. For example: there were unresolved IP issues with Fallout long after Fallout 3 came out.

Ah, it could certainly be the case that the deal between Squad and Shapeways was terminated prior to any business with Take-Two. Perhaps the deal had an expiration date and was not renewed or perhaps one or both parties decided to end the deal. I don't remember seeing anything about Shapeways no longer making KSP items, but I definitely could have missed that news.

Moving to Kerbal Network, since this is about merchandise rather than the KSP game itself.