Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

10 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Because of changing staffing levels, yes kind-of but I have seniority (ha-ha!), and this morning, respectively. 

Thanks! Always good to be the senior one! Congratulations on the promotion @Deddly! Great work (I assume)!

;) 

I have been using tinypic to host my pictures.  It has worked in the past, but right now all it shows is a busted link.  Is this my computer being stupid, tinypic being stupid, or new forum policy? 

Example (please ignore if the below is an image)
[edit:  TinyPic is dead; long live Flickr.  This wasn't the original problem though; I believe it solved itself.  Original link for insanity posterity:  http://i67.tinypic.com/r73uh4.jpg ]

46 antenna bug proof (r73uh4)

Edited by FinalFan
TinyPic is dead; long live Flickr.

4 minutes ago, FinalFan said:

I have been using tinypic to host my pictures.  It has worked in the past, but right now all it shows is a busted link.  Is this my computer being stupid, tinypic being stupid, or new forum policy? 

Example (please ignore if the below is an image)
r73uh4.jpg

It seems it's tinypic itself being the problem.  I can't load the image, even in another tab using the direct link.

2 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Actually, we have had two for a long time. Now there are three :)

Oh, really? Then who’s the lead lead mod? And, 

6 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Congratulations on the promotion @Deddly! Great work (I assume)!

;) 

Thanks for the kind words :)

10 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

Oh, really? Then who’s the lead lead mod?

Well, we have four levels of seniority on this forum:

1) Moderators

2) Senior moderators

3) Lead moderators

4) Community lead (Darth Badie and UomoCapra)

Lead moderators basically share the responsibility that @sal_vager used to have as Lead Moderator, except that the three of us together aren't half as good as he was. So there is no single head moderator anymore.

Just now, Deddly said:

Thanks for the kind words :)

Well, we have four levels of seniority on this forum:

1) Moderators

2) Senior moderators

3) Lead moderators

4) Community lead (Darth Badie and UomoCapra)

Lead moderators basically share the responsibility that @sal_vager used to have as Lead Moderator, except that the three of us together aren't half as good as he was. So there is no single head moderator anymore.

Ah, thanks! @sal_vager was great, but I think you guys are doing as good as he did, which is pretty hard!

12 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Ah, thanks! @sal_vager was great, but I think you guys are doing as good as he did, which is pretty hard!

Thank you, but it only seems that way because 2/3rds of the stuff Sal was doing was behind the scenes. Not joking or saying it to be nice. It's taking about 5 of us to keep up with what he used to do by himself. 

10 hours ago, Kerbalstar said:

How much time do you spend thinking up those fun little "moving" quips like: This report of a mission has been moved to Mission Reports, or This work of the fans has been moved to Fan Workshop?

This question of a moderator has been posted in the moderator-questioning thread. :sticktongue:

To expand on what Van said, we generally like to make our actions as moderators as publicly visible as possible, to avoid charges of selective moderation or bias. Of course, there are times that we don't make everything public, to avoid public shaming (think about if you've ever seen us say which posts got removed from a thread) but we still try to let users know that some action has been taken and why we had to take it.

The only time we regularly don't annouce our actions is if we have to issue a warning, because those are strictly between the moderation team and the user at fault. And even in those cases, we still make sure to state to the user what conduct forced us to issue the infraction.

On 9/26/2018 at 5:45 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

What's the difference between the two 'new post' icons? There's a star and a circle, but they seem to signify exactly the same thing. :huh:

I believe:

Circle: You have not posted in this topic.

Star: You have seen/posted in this topic, and there is a new post. Click me to jump to the next new post.

Clear star: You have seen/posted in this topic, and there is no new reply.

Although, what is is when there is no star or circle?

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

Although, what is is when there is no star or circle?

Simply means there are no new posts and you haven't posted in the topic.  If you click on a topic that has the blue circle, and don't post, then you'll be caught up on the topic, so the icon will disappear.

Every once in awhile I'll mark the entire site as read, I think it helps to easily see if there are new new posts instead of old posts that I just haven't read yet.

3 hours ago, Dman979 said:

This question of a moderator has been posted in the moderator-questioning thread. :sticktongue:

-Snipped.-

:sticktongue:

Ah, I see. So no secretly moving threads. :)  Thanks!

2 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

Circle: You have not posted in this topic.

Star: You have seen/posted in this topic, and there is a new post. Click me to jump to the next new post.

Clear star: You have seen/posted in this topic, and there is no new reply.

Circle: You’re right + click to jump to first unread post.

Star: You have posted in this topic and there is a new post. Click me to jump to the next new post.

Clear Star: You have posted in this thread, and there is no new reply since you last looked. Un-clickable.

No symbol: You have not posted in that thread and there are not any new replies since you last checked.

There you go!

8 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

About the one time name change thing, is that a software limitation or just a very enforced rule? And if the moderator changing a name were to get the spelling wrong, would they change it to the correct version?

As far as I know, it is a rule designed to make sure that users can remain recognizable. If we allowed unlimited name changes, it would get very confusing to remember who's who- not just for the moderators, but for everyone.

And if Van we made a mistake, we'd fix it.

58 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Hey, @Vanamonde never makes mistakes. :)

Not that are allowed to remain visible, anyway. 

Our goof would not be held against you. And the main reason for the one name change rule is that while it's not difficult, it does take a few minutes each time and repeated ones would create a lot of work for us. Or for me, anyway, since I'm the only one who has access to it.