[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Ah no, not sure how that old stuff got there. Learned a bit about module manager since then. Thanks for the patch, but running into a bug now I believe. Ignore first part of message.

Thanks for the lightning quick reply though

looking at the code i'd say the container does not exist:

private void updatePersistentData()
  {
  if (containers != null)
  {
  persistentData = "";
  int len = containers.Length;
  for (int i = 0; i < len; i++)
  {
  if (i > 0) { persistentData = persistentData + ":"; }
  persistentData = persistentData + containers.getPersistentData();
  }   }   }

7 hours ago, JoseEduardo said:

what did you use to get this shot? it looks very cool :D

the rocket also looks very nice, I wish I was that creative to not need RW replicas or replicas with some minor changes :(

Thanks! The rocket, however, has been retired/completely lost since i started using 1.1. The Volga name lives on, though, because when i get my new 1.1 game/save stable, i've got a whole line of Angara-like launchers to be built and tested. I just wish i didn't have to depend on BobCat's Soviet Engines for the RD-191's and 0124's, but i don't mind -that- much.

To get the shot, i used Kronal Vessel Viewer and nearly all my patience trying to line it up at that angle. Than i took the rotate and moving gizmo's and moved stuff around/rotated things. Then the game crashed as i was about to take the screenshot  ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Eventually, i wrangled the screenshot into GIMP and stretched a usual 30 minute editing job to over ~4 hours to try to mimic ULA's DIVH infographic:

Spoiler

MQ9wCyV.jpg

8 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

That LV is so absurd - you could do a Mars mission in 3 launches...

Oh, that wasn't even the biggest one. Try this, 300 tons to LKO >:D

Spoiler

5cjGkcb.png

@StickyScissors speaking of Bobcat's engines, have you seen my SSTU Nova Pack? I left the RD-0124 out because for some weird reason I thought it was just a modernized RD-0110 with the same values....

other than that they are all rescaled at 64% scale and matching thrust in order to be SSTU-alike

I was also planning on adding the remaining stock engines (got Mainsail so far), but... No Man's Sky for PC is out, so.... yeah... eventually I'll get back to that :P

6 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

@StickyScissors speaking of Bobcat's engines, have you seen my SSTU Nova Pack? I left the RD-0124 out because for some weird reason I thought it was just a modernized RD-0110 with the same values....

other than that they are all rescaled at 64% scale and matching thrust in order to be SSTU-alike

I was also planning on adding the remaining stock engines (got Mainsail so far), but... No Man's Sky for PC is out, so.... yeah... eventually I'll get back to that :P

So far, i have -downloaded- the Nova add-on. Haven't bothered setting up my install because i still don't have a GPU, and won't get my refund until (hopefully) tomorrow, then it's waiting another 2 weeks for the replacement to actually get here :/

8 hours ago, RedParadize said:

@thomash Make sure you set the decoupler to hollow collider. BTW, its much easier and better to do the lander with a single engine.

On that subject:

2DYv7VJ.png

@tater Does the Petal adapter provide protection if retracted? enven if there is a hole on top?

Where are those legs from? ME WANT!!!

I have to go check what i did to my stock inflatable heat shield. This is definitively OP.

This is my SECTO-80t (single Engine Core To Orbit)

The SRB have curve at 50% so the TWR is inaccurate for the 2 and 3 stage. Keep in mind that I play 6.4x and that everything is customized.

Sr8xwkZ.png

Reaching orbit insertion. Ended up with 1800 dv left after decoupling dummy 80t playload. I don't think I could have carryed much more since my TWR is limit too low. 

Ds8gMIx.png

And landing! I should carry more Mono. If I had I am sure I could have lander on the runway!

HRGvXiB.png

Total lunch cost for 80t: 200 000$ 

Out of curiosity, I will try a non-recoverable to see how much it would cost.

Edit: I was not expecting that, I am only saving 70 000 $ compared to a standard single use rocket.

Edited by RedParadize

20 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

@thomash Make sure you set the decoupler to hollow collider. BTW, its much easier and better to do the lander with a single engine.

Thanks Badger-

Yeah, I have been trying to bend the game to my will, but it's really not worth it.  How do you switch the decoupler to "hollow collider"?

Tater-  Thanks for the response.  I'm gonna keep wrangling with it.

So I decided to take my own advice, and instead of testing in stock, I reloaded k64.

I made an R7 with a Soyuz on top... and just got it into orbit, so clearly something is working :) .

I then started messing with an Apollo copy (I need to make S1 and S2 a little smaller). Still, got me to the Mun 6.4X as far away tonight.

OTW.jpg

Version 1 of this lander made it to the surface with a few hundred m/s to spare. In testing an Apollo-like staged take off, I left that valuable fuel on the Mun... I made orbit only with about half the pod's RCS to spare for docking. The next version got some extra fuel.

Edited by tater

2 hours ago, tater said:

So I decided to take my own advice, and instead of testing in stock, I reloaded k64.

I made an R7 with a Soyuz on top... and just got it into orbit, so clearly something is working :) .

I then started messing with an Apollo copy (I need to make S1 and S2 a little smaller). Still, got me to the Mun 6.4X as far away tonight.

-Snip-

Version 1 of this lander made it to the surface with a few hundred m/s to spare. In testing an Apollo-like staged take off, I left that valuable fuel on the Mun... I made orbit only with about half the pod's RCS to spare for docking. The next version got some extra fuel.

Do mods need any sort of patching to work with 64K? It looks intriguing, but if i have to add more crap on top of what i assume will be an already NRE-spammy install (~40 mods), i'm not gonna bother. My main concern being graphics mods like Proot's KSPRC, because those seem to have...issues

I have SVE on, and I added SMURFF with it set to 0.64 except for the pods, which I set to 0. I don't know what others are using for their SMURFF settings for 6.4X, my goal was for an R7 with a Soyuz SM/DM/OM to make LKO with a little dv to spare. Set to the RSS value of "1" that combination makes it easily with the core stage retaining enough propellant to not want to throw it away.

4 hours ago, StickyScissors said:

Do mods need any sort of patching to work with 64K? It looks intriguing, but if i have to add more crap on top of what i assume will be an already NRE-spammy install (~40 mods), i'm not gonna bother. My main concern being graphics mods like Proot's KSPRC, because those seem to have...issues

You don't need a patch for 6.4k, but you will find that something that visualy match the SLS won't trow much into space. I rebalanced the engines on my part. They are stronger and lighter, but not has mutch as the original one. The result is that a SLS like will put a bit less than 80t into orbit.

Personalty I can't go back to stock. I would go to 10k or RSS but at that scale some bug are more likely, rover float over the ground etc...

24 minutes ago, tater said:

I have SVE on, and I added SMURFF with it set to 0.64 except for the pods, which I set to 0. I don't know what others are using for their SMURFF settings for 6.4X, my goal was for an R7 with a Soyuz SM/DM/OM to make LKO with a little dv to spare. Set to the RSS value of "1" that combination makes it easily with the core stage retaining enough propellant to not want to throw it away.

I didn't like the changes SMURFF made, and I was tired of always needing to make RO configs for everything I found on the forums in order to use it in 10x Kerbin, so I ended up doing this instead, with some help from @Jimbodiah at first since he had his own config:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
//		@maxThrust *= 2
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key[1, ] *= 2
			@key,1[1, ] *= 2
		}
	}  
}

and now anything I throw inside the game should behave like it would in stock, no mass changes, no thrust changes, just isp (like the old KIDS mod)

if a rocket doesn't achieve orbit in stock, it won't with this config, if it goes to Jool it should go to 10x Jool in this config

the only issue that I've ran into was during re-entry, the heat was broken and stuff at 110km weren't slowing down enough but were heating up  A LOT... but since 10x kerbin is for 1.1.2 I'm not sure if anything broke... I went to RSS instead (which is 1.1.3 compatible) but I haven't had a chance to test re-entry on it yet

yup, just so the very same rocket design that works in stock can be used in a 10x kerbin or RSS with no other change to it, no increase or decrease of TWR, payload capacity or anything...

it's either that or going for RO (and needing to make specific configs for every part you want to use or hope someone else does/already did) :)

Oh I ended up doing a massive 2 stage 80t to orbit using your nova pack. With both stages fully reusable, it was soo big that it costed over a 1 000 000 $ to build. Would have been only 170 000 $ to operate if I didn't miss the LZ... Ended up being extremely expensive.

I don't think a rescale discussion is entirely off-topic. A user's guide to various rescales might not be a bad thing for us to bash out, anyway, as we're the ones using SSTU for that, not Shadowmage.

I used to use KIDS for 6.4x, below that I simply use stock parts. If we nailed down definitive settings, maybe with 2 options (a MM patch, vs a mod dependency like SMURFF with the cfg settings) for common rescales: 2X, 3.2X, 6.4X, and RSS (10X), this could become a readme. Last night I simply experimented, figuring that if an R7 didn't make orbit there was an issue. I wish the gravity turn mod was updated to 1.1.3, because it would make replicating launches easier for this sort of testing. That said, I made Saturn V that was fairly convincing looking with all the right parts except for the LEM, and it got to the Mun. I didn't bring it home yet, so I think the CSM likely has more dv than it needs, which might mean a slightly lower SMURFF scaling than 0.64.

I want to say that @blowfish had mentioned 6.4X someplace, I'll have to reread the thread.I was trying for as vanilla as possible.

@RedParadize if you're in career that hurts a lot, but if you're in sandbox then let someone else pay for it :P (I could poke something in here, but I kinda don't want to violate the forum rules :) )

@tater you could try tweaking the patch I posted, works pretty much like KIDS, except that it isn't as simple as KIDS to tweak...

too bad KIDS was discontinued, it was very helpful :(

Edited by JoseEduardo

On 8/14/2016 at 9:52 PM, JoseEduardo said:

I too use them but I would prefer to use @CardBoardBoxProcessor and co's KOSMOS URM Engine parts.  They are even more fantastic looking!   While I wish him all the best in his Digital Imaging endeavor I would love to have CBBP back on working on more engines.  His art skills with those engines is absolutely amazing.   Of course I can say the same thing about @Shadowmage and the SSTU engines :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.