[Dead Mod][1.0.5] Saru Planet Pack v0.1

tygoo7

So I have decided to go back to my roots and make Ensol using texturing. Procedural generation with Kittopia just wasn't doing it for Ensol. It'll still use Procedural generation for the base of the texture but not completely because I'd like it to resemble Enceladus more. Here's an early WIP, please tell me what you guys think!

(Those black outlines are from the normal map, they won't be there in the finished one)

BR7DtVx.png

So I have decided to go back to my roots and make Ensol using texturing. Procedural generation with Kittopia just wasn't doing it for Ensol. It'll still use Procedural generation for the base of the texture but not completely because I'd like it to resemble Enceladus more. Here's an early WIP, please tell me what you guys think!

(Those black outlines are from the normal map, they won't be there in the finished one)

http://i.imgur.com/BR7DtVx.png

my favourite texture so far

Will Saru's orbit around Kerbol be compatible with the Outer Planets Mod? I enjoy the idea of two different Saturn analogues in my game, since the moons around Saru and the moons around Sarnus are both excellent, but yet different enough (but still stock-alike) that they would still fit well within the same solar system.

Assuming someone will provide a configuration compatible with OPM if they aren't compatible, I cannot wait to get my (and my Kerbals') hands on Mobe, Ensol, Tel, and especially the Kerbals' inspiration for their invention of the sponge: Hypo.

Another quick question: Is Tel planned to have cloud configurations made by other people for you, or is it planned to be cloudless?

Edited by LaytheDragon

Will Saru's orbit around Kerbol be compatible with the Outer Planets Mod? I enjoy the idea of two different Saturn analogues in my game, since the moons around Saru and the moons around Sarnus are both excellent, but yet different enough (but still stock-alike) that they would still fit well within the same solar system.

I will have to double check that.

Assuming someone will provide a configuration compatible with OPM if they aren't compatible, I cannot wait to get my (and my Kerbals') hands on Mobe, Ensol, Tel, and especially the Kerbals' inspiration for their invention of the sponge: Hypo.

You will get your hands on them soon...

Another quick question: Is Tel planned to have cloud configurations made by other people for you, or is it planned to be cloudless?

I plan to make a cloud configuration for it like the concept picture in the OP. Probably just for default EVE for now.

• 3 weeks later...
Very nice. I like how you are making a Saturn analogue to KSP. Maybe you could add some more moons to Saru (and maybe Jool, just to balance it out) to make it a LOT like Saturn. Here are some suggestions:

Tyleus: A Tethys analogue. Like Ensol, Tyleus could have a bluish-white color, but there would be more white. There also should be large impact basins and red streaks all over the moon.

Hala: The Helene analogue, and a trojan moon of Tyleus. I have no idea of a texture.

Doris: A potential Dione analogue. The moon would have a thin oxygen atmosphere like Dione, few craters, and many fissures along its surface. Might be a nice place for podracing...

Reko: Rhea analogue that should be around the size of Tel. Maybe some rings, since Rhea may have some in real life. For coloring, maybe orange with lots of craters?

If you think these ideas are interesting, they're on the table for choosing. You don't have to use them, though. It's your mod, your choice:D

[quote name='ProtoJeb21']Very nice. I like how you are making a Saturn analogue to KSP. Maybe you could add some more moons to Saru (and maybe Jool, just to balance it out) to make it a LOT like Saturn. Here are some suggestions:

Tyleus: A Tethys analogue. Like Ensol, Tyleus could have a bluish-white color, but there would be more white. There also should be large impact basins and red streaks all over the moon.

Hala: The Helene analogue, and a trojan moon of Tyleus. I have no idea of a texture.

Doris: A potential Dione analogue. The moon would have a thin oxygen atmosphere like Dione, few craters, and many fissures along its surface. Might be a nice place for podracing...

Reko: Rhea analogue that should be around the size of Tel. Maybe some rings, since Rhea may have some in real life. For coloring, maybe orange with lots of craters?

If you think these ideas are interesting, they're on the table for choosing. You don't have to use them, though. It's your mod, your choice:D[/QUOTE]

Cool ideas! I might use some of these if I want to make some new moons in the future.

@tygoo7 Thanks! I actually want to create them just to see how they would work, look, and either make or break the game. Maybe I could use these ideas in another of my planets packs, but I don't really have any Space Engine textures that would work well for any moon, so I want to make their textures a similar way you made yours. How did you make those custom textures for the moons you already have? Did you use DeviantArt or something like PhotoShop? BTW: I now have a texture idea for Hala, the Helene analogue. Looking at Cassini pictures of Helene, I noticed streaks that look either like fault lines or from water rushing onto sand (like on Mars). So maybe Hala could be greyish with multiple small craters, maybe randomly generated, and fault lines all over its Saru-facing hemisphere.

[quote name='ProtoJeb21']@tygoo7 Thanks! I actually want to create them just to see how they would work, look, and either make or break the game. Maybe I could use these ideas in another of my planets packs, but I don't really have any Space Engine textures that would work well for any moon, so I want to make their textures a similar way you made yours. How did you make those custom textures for the moons you already have? Did you use DeviantArt or something like PhotoShop? BTW: I now have a texture idea for Hala, the Helene analogue. Looking at Cassini pictures of Helene, I noticed streaks that look either like fault lines or from water rushing onto sand (like on Mars). So maybe Hala could be greyish with multiple small craters, maybe randomly generated, and fault lines all over its Saru-facing hemisphere.[/QUOTE]

Cool! I made the textures mostly by combining things made with Kittopia and then adding stuff in GIMP. Hypo and Mobe were made mostly in GIMP, same with Ensol. I look forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

[quote name='tygoo7']Cool! I made the textures mostly by combining things made with Kittopia and then adding stuff in GIMP. Hypo and Mobe were made mostly in GIMP, same with Ensol. I look forward to seeing what you come up with! :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I was pretty sure most non-Space Engine terrestrial planet textures were made with DeviantArt, and I probably was going to try it out. I looked up what GIMP is, and I think I get the gist on how to use it. I also have some experience with Kittopia or KopernicusTech planet coloring, so I'm probably going to be able to make them easily. I really hope GIMP can work with my outdated computer...

I've been trying to make a texture for Hala, the Helene analogue I thought of. Instead, after some time using KopernicusTech, I made this:

mIpLq34.png

This seems to suit Reko better, though I'm not too sure if I should switch the colors (the white becomes orange, vice-versa). What do you think? This is the Scaled Space version of the planet:

psoONFO.png

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Okay so progress seems to be going good with this pack. Tel will not have any form of clouds for the moment being, since I have yet to learn how the new EVE works. All the bodies will include custom science modifiers but no science defs, yet. There are just a few more tweaks to go (mainly just Tel). I hope to have a download for you guys by the weekend but no promises. :) 

3 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I've been trying to make a texture for Hala, the Helene analogue I thought of. Instead, after some time using KopernicusTech, I made this:

-snip-

This seems to suit Reko better, though I'm not too sure if I should switch the colors (the white becomes orange, vice-versa). What do you think? This is the Scaled Space version of the planet:

-snip-

Nice start! Not too sure about that being a Helene analogue since Helene looks more like an asteroid. I think it fits Reko more since that moon appears to be more spherical. I think that you should add more blending to the colors and just a bit more diverse in the texture. Other than that, I think it's a nice start! 

13 hours ago, tygoo7 said:

Okay so progress seems to be going good with this pack. Tel will not have any form of clouds for the moment being, since I have yet to learn how the new EVE works. All the bodies will include custom science modifiers but no science defs, yet. There are just a few more tweaks to go (mainly just Tel). I hope to have a download for you guys by the weekend but no promises. :) 

Nice start! Not too sure about that being a Helene analogue since Helene looks more like an asteroid. I think it fits Reko more since that moon appears to be more spherical. I think that you should add more blending to the colors and just a bit more diverse in the texture. Other than that, I think it's a nice start! 

What I did was make a Hala color map using just GIMP. Then I added it into a mod I'm working on for KopernicusTech. In the cfg file, I gave it a Dres template, a radius of 53km, and JUST listed its color map, like if I was making a gas giant. I messed with the K-Tech features in the Tracking Station but just kept getting a Dres clone. Then I decided to, once again, use GIMP, but to edit the Dres texture. I gave Hala the new texture, enlarged it to a 23-something kilometer radius, then did a ScaledSpace version of it. You're right; I need to change the texture. This Reko texture looks too much like one of the moons in Ibuckshot's Jungis Planet Pack. My plan right now is to switch the white with the orange, then make the white more orange-ish.

Also, I can't WAIT for the download. What type of Kopernicus does the Saru Planet Pack use?

6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

How do you like this new texture? I think it's better, since the old one is starting to remind me of popcorn (don't ask why). First is ScaledSpace, then regular.

-snippity snip-

This one is looking a bit better and more natural. Any plans for certain surface features to make it a unique moon? Like how Mobe has the big crater, Hypo is a cube, Ensol has those ice caverns, and Tel has the tar oceans and thick atmo. 

8 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Also, I can't WAIT for the download. What type of Kopernicus does the Saru Planet Pack use?

The latest Kopernicus version.