[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

DSEV 1.4.0 is now available.

- Re-tuned the Graphene Radiator to be on par with the stock large folding radiator.
- Reduced the heat production on the Supernova; Hydrodgen mode produces about as much heat as the LV-N, and Pulsed Plasma mode produces twice as much.
- The Supernova no longer requires Science and RocketParts in order to be upgraded to pulsed-plasma mode. Instead, it uses the new stock part upgrade system.
- Added the new Advanced Fusion Technology tech node. Once unlocked, you can purchase the Pulsed Plasma Engine upgrade for the Supernova.
- Moved the "Krupp" micro-fusion reactor to Advanced Fusion Technology.
- Updated CTT support.

I didn't get as far on the new command pod tonight as I'd like, but it's still getting there:

PLwYgbT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a comment for whenever you get back to this pack:

I really love the look and the performance characteristics of the Supernova engine - but most of my parts for long-term ships and stations are in 3.75m or 5m form factors, so I find it's awkward to use.  (It doesn't even cluster that well, because it bulges outward.)  Would it be possible to get a larger variant?  (Or - more importantly, actually: Larger *tanks*, so the tanks can fit with the main backbone.)

(On my mind at the moment because I'm doing a save that's just to explore - so I need something big with huge amounts of delta-v.  Supernova engines would be ideal, if they weren't at least a size smaller than anything else on the design so far.)

On 12/22/2016 at 0:16 PM, DStaal said:

Just as a comment for whenever you get back to this pack:

I really love the look and the performance characteristics of the Supernova engine - but most of my parts for long-term ships and stations are in 3.75m or 5m form factors, so I find it's awkward to use.  (It doesn't even cluster that well, because it bulges outward.)  Would it be possible to get a larger variant?  (Or - more importantly, actually: Larger *tanks*, so the tanks can fit with the main backbone.)

(On my mind at the moment because I'm doing a save that's just to explore - so I need something big with huge amounts of delta-v.  Supernova engines would be ideal, if they weren't at least a size smaller than anything else on the design so far.)

The Supernova is actually 3.75m at its widest, and 2.5m at its install point. You could just attach it and clip the part into something. Unlike some modders, I don't make my parts explode when they're clipped..

You could also change the the rescaleFactor = 1 in the config file to rescaleFactor = 1.3333 and you'd get a 5m engine that way.

Hope that helps. :)

I know, I know...  :wink:  (Though the 3.75m statement does help a bit - it means the multi-adaptors to 3.75m won't clip into each other.)  I just like keeping the clean look.

As I said: actually more important in a way is the tanks.  Clusters of engines is fine - clusters of engines and tanks is kraken-bait.

(Oh: I put in a PR to fix a minor issue with the CLS config, by the way.  Not the CLS works in 1.2.2 yet, but it prevents MM from throwing an error.)

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

I know, I know...  :wink:  (Though the 3.75m statement does help a bit - it means the multi-adaptors to 3.75m won't clip into each other.)  I just like keeping the clean look.

As I said: actually more important in a way is the tanks.  Clusters of engines is fine - clusters of engines and tanks is kraken-bait.

(Oh: I put in a PR to fix a minor issue with the CLS config, by the way.  Not the CLS works in 1.2.2 yet, but it prevents MM from throwing an error.)

You could also apply that rescale factor to the 3.75m tanks. :)

I'll admit that while I'm not against tweaking things and have quite a collection of personal MM patches, I don't tend to mess with what I think of as 'base stats' for parts: Size, mass, volume, etc.  The only exception I've made to that so far is for a sample drill that was bigger than some *real* drills in the original, which I scaled down to something more science-part sized.  But basically, unless I think there's something *wrong* with the part as-is, I'll leave it.  Maybe bug authors occasionally for additions, but not try to interfere with their designs.  :shrug:

Anyway, I just thought I'd float it as an idea, if you wanted to make use - and a note on what friction I find in using the part vs. other parts from other packs: That I find the part a bit small, in comparison with the parts I want to use it with.

9 hours ago, CarnageINC said:

Angel, I got to say its been a pleasure seeing your mods develop over time.  This latest command pod modules looks great, looking forward to whats in store for the interior layout.  Keep up the great work!

Thanks! :) My skills have slowly been improving too. That command pod is the closest to pork-alike that I've come thus far. I was planning on finishing up DSEV this month but got derailed by a renewed drive on the Heisenberg. Knowing how I operate best, I capitalized on that drive and am almost done. I'll be back on DSEV in January to finish that pod and a few other parts that will complete the Kerbal Discovery II and make a good chunk of the Kerbal Nautilus as well. For the sake of sanity, the Nautilus will use cylindrical front sections instead of the hexagonal design that NASA has- partly for compatibility with other 3.75m parts and partly to save me some work. After that the only thing I'll need is the Mk3 Homestead inflatable module. Essentially, a KSP version of some art I did a few years ago:

SkyRanchII.jpg

On 12/24/2016 at 1:09 PM, Angel-125 said:

Thanks! :) My skills have slowly been improving too. That command pod is the closest to pork-alike that I've come thus far. I was planning on finishing up DSEV this month but got derailed by a renewed drive on the Heisenberg. Knowing how I operate best, I capitalized on that drive and am almost done. I'll be back on DSEV in January to finish that pod and a few other parts that will complete the Kerbal Discovery II and make a good chunk of the Kerbal Nautilus as well. For the sake of sanity, the Nautilus will use cylindrical front sections instead of the hexagonal design that NASA has- partly for compatibility with other 3.75m parts and partly to save me some work. After that the only thing I'll need is the Mk3 Homestead inflatable module. Essentially, a KSP version of some art I did a few years ago:

SkyRanchII.jpg

Haha, its great to see you still have so much enthusiasm for modding this great game.  I bet your the kind of person who has a lot of ideas of more stuff but not enough time to do them.  If you could only clone yourself and work on multiple projects at once LOL.  The SkyRanch II looks awesome by the way.

love this mod, and to be fair all of your mods, i was wondering if you would be adding any other texture to the fuel containers. 

My other question is how would i make the fusion Pellets compatable with the tanks from rover dudes mods, i figured if i duplicated the resource and dropped in straight into the CRP it would break the game

2 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

love this mod, and to be fair all of your mods, i was wondering if you would be adding any other texture to the fuel containers. 

My other question is how would i make the fusion Pellets compatable with the tanks from rover dudes mods, i figured if i duplicated the resource and dropped in straight into the CRP it would break the game

Don't touch CRP.  It won't break the game, but you could easily mess up *lots* of mods.

Not that it would help you anyway - RoverDude's Kontainers aren't directly related to CRP anyway.  They happen to hold a large number of CRP resources, but they don't hold only CRP resources, or all CRP resources.  If you want to add something to them, you'd have to edit their files.  (Or write an MM config to do it for you.)  Unfortunately, they aren't exactly easy to edit: You'll need to deal with something like 8 lines in two modules in the files, and make sure they all match up exactly.  (And make sure you compute things like 'the total cost of the kontainer with the pellets'.)  Oh, and you'll have to do it for each separate Kontainer.

If you want more help, I'd head over to the MKS thread - it's kinda on-topic there, as at least that's the correct location for those parts.

5 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

Glad you like the mod. :) It was the second major mod that I created, along with Multipurpose Colony Modules. It's the oldest mod that I've made that is still active (MOLE is not too far behind...). As for the texturing on the fuel containers, I don't have plans to change them at this time. The large 3.75m tanks were designed to emulate the stock big orange tank, and I definitely succeeded at that. The textures used in the truss segments are straight from stock. The only tanks that are kind of meh for me are the 1.25m tanks; I might just replace those with the ones that Porkjet made for the stock parts revamp and call it a day.

Since I got derailed by the Heisenberg last month, this month is DSEV, with a little bit of MOLE thrown in (finally, 1.875m segmented solid rocket boosters). Rather than rework the existing textures, my goal this month is to finish up the part set for the Kerbal Discovery II by completing the Clydesdale and creating the animated centrifuge. You won't need Infernal Robotics to make the centrifuge. I already figured out how make the IVA spin along with the external model, so the centrifuge is going to look pretty cool when it's done. The design is based on NASA's Discovery II spacecraft, so it will be non-inflatable. It will fold for compact storage too, and it will functionally work like the Pilgrim Observer. What's nice is that the Pilgrim Observer had artificial gravity both when under thrust and when coasting.

After that, I can look into some texture improvements, but like I said, I like the look of the orange 3.75 tanks..

I'm also debating what I want to do for the Nautilus-X. Its modules are hexagonal instead of cylindrical. Last month I figured that I'd just do cylindrical modules, both because it would simplify the amount of work I have to do, and because it wouldn't clutter the parts catalog with two sets of crew parts with the same functionality. I'll have to revisit that when I finish with Kerbal Discovery II. I'm definitely going to make a Bigelow-style inflatable module, the Mk3 Homestead...

@Angel-125 I was hoping for silver colouring on the tanks as welll as the normal (i shade my fuel tanks differently). As for the hisenberg... I love it... But i havent made any airships, i was using making colony space planes ( ill get a pic later) but they are great, thow i have modded the stats for use with usils's hab timer ( i gave the cockpit and hab modual the same as the cupola)

i personally mix a LOT of mods and i use most of your mods alongside roverdudes and darkside for my centrafuge plus all the others. My loading time for kerbal is 10 minutes....

@DStaal cheers for your advice. I havent done coding in years, but i will look into this, id love to have many ways to use the kontainers with this mod. 

Heres my main workhorse the Clark

VTXhKp2.jpg

And my Karborundum mining vessel the Ishimura

tGbr9tf.jpg

Edited by Space Kadet
Adding pictures

Now that I have MOLE's SRBs done and Pathfinder 1.4.0: Gold Strike released, I'm back to work on DSEV this month. I'm almost done with the Clydesdale's exterior:

Ef6G85N.png

I'm particularly happy with how the Clyde is turning out. I think I've nearly duplicated PorkJet's texturing technique. Unlike 2001's HAL, the @Kuzzter Instruments Three Thousand (K.I.T.T.) doesn't try to kill the crew in cryostasis. Instead, it just writes stories about them while it coasts between maneuver nodes. On the other hand, it is writing a novel about a mission to Dres, so maybe it is a bit insane... :wink:

Edited by Angel-125

18 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Now that I have MOLE's SRBs done and Pathfinder 1.4.0: Gold Strike released, I'm back to work on DSEV this month. I'm almost done with the Clydesdale's exterior:

Ef6G85N.png

I'm particularly happy with how the Clyde is turning out. I think I've nearly duplicated PorkJet's texturing technique. Unlike 2001's HAL, the @Kuzzter Instruments Three Thousand (K.I.T.T.) doesn't try to kill the crew in cryostasis. Instead, it just writes stories about them while it coasts between maneuver nodes. On the other hand, it is writing a novel about a mission to Dres, so maybe it is a bit insane... :wink:

I very much look forward to the further development of your DSEV :) 

Just starting to work on the IVA, there's a lot to do, but the basics are coming together. I don't have the IVA overlay mesh in place yet so you aren't looking at the final product.

Here you can see how the decks are laid out:

vhVTUoq.png

A picture from the captain's chair:

odLR7i6.png

Flight Engineer's station. Above the control panel will be monitors.

9ROv3Ir.png

A view from 10 Forward:

k0bXsSX.png

The @Kuzzter Instruments 3000. I need to ask Kuzzter if I can borrow some images...

y8OFbM0.png

Finally, with the IVA overlay mesh in place:

G006mvL.png

I think internal coloration might follow this:

TOS3x18h.png

Edited by Angel-125

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.