Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

Oh! I had a question... When you mentioned that all of PorkJet's parts are being released in 1.0.5, does that include the Mk3 ramp or does it still need some touch-up code? - My other question is will the new wheels spin and pivot in 1.1? Or will that be added later?

I think the current wings are more than good enough. This bunny is ca 150-175t fuel to LKO :-)

http://i.imgur.com/JOsapGV.jpg?1

Impressive!

The case of having some degree of control over occluded ships has been addressed, [...] there will be a way to handle those burns while occluded.

Hopefully that solution can deal with conditionals. My worst use case is reentry: extended antenna would go poof, so you have to retract it. How do you deploy it again? Please consider the case where you enter Duna with heatshield and chutes, but eventually need engines and control for a soft touchdown.

Hopefully that solution can deal with conditionals. My worst use case is reentry: extended antenna would go poof, so you have to retract it. How do you deploy it again? Please consider the case where you enter Duna with heatshield and chutes, but eventually need engines and control for a soft touchdown.

I really doubt (but would love) that kind of control. I suspect it'll be that you can use the "aim at" markers and throttle while occluded, but nothing else. Of course, that means you could do an assisted landing - assuming you could tweak the pressure on the chutes so they open when it's safe.

I really doubt (but would love) that kind of control.

Sensing a possible misunderstanding, I'd like to point out that I don't expect it to do a powered landing on my behalf. The vessel in my scenario isn't occluded, but has to retract all aerials for reentry. All I'm asking for is a means to re-deploy the antennas after the worst aerobraking is over so I can take control again.

The current RT approach requires one to set a timer and I never get it right on the first try. I hope the stock solution can improve on that.

With the new antenna system am I correct in assuming that, like the aerodynamic system, it will be easy to "switch off" for a more (or even less) detailed model? I seem to recall somthing being mentioned about that. Always a concern where there are mods that provide more detailed features than what Squad intends to have in the game.

With the new antenna system am I correct in assuming that, like the aerodynamic system, it will be easy to "switch off" for a more (or even less) detailed model? I seem to recall somthing being mentioned about that. Always a concern where there are mods that provide more detailed features than what Squad intends to have in the game.

If I understand correctly this will be an optional feature of the game; it may be turned off from the user side, so the user may turn it off to use a mod or if they just don't want to deal with keeping line-of-sight with Kerbin.

If I understand correctly this will be an optional feature of the game; it may be turned off from the user side, so the user may turn it off to use a mod or if they just don't want to deal with keeping line-of-sight with Kerbin.

I don't think there has been any official mention of it being optional. I very well could have missed it, but I was watching for that.

I'm sure there will be a way to mod it out, because Squad knows there would be rebellion if they ruined RemoteTech. But, it could be in the same sense that the new Aerodynamics are optional... only mods can do it.

Edited by Alshain

I don't think there has been any official mention of it being optional. I very well could have missed it, but I was watching for that.

I'm sure there will be a way to mod it out, because Squad knows there would be rebellion if they ruined RemoteTech. But, it could be in the same sense that the new Aerodynamics are optional... only mods can do it.

The article said it was difficulty based, with Easy meaning that antenna function exactly as they do right now.

And as for your last sentence: Is the debug menu not good enough for you? Because you can go in there and turn off the 1.0 Aerodynamics. Check the box next to 'Apply Drag As Acceleration Instad of Force' (sic)

Optionally check the box on the last line: 'Replace Drag Cubes With Spherical Model'. Other controls in there are sliders for drag multipliers.

And as for your last sentence: Is the debug menu not good enough for you? Because you can go in there and turn off the 1.0 Aerodynamics. Check the box next to 'Apply Drag As Acceleration Instad of Force' (sic)

Optionally check the box on the last line: 'Replace Drag Cubes With Spherical Model'. Other controls in there are sliders for drag multipliers.

I didn't know that was available, It was an example, I've never actually wanted to turn if off.

We're still working on KSP 1.1, which will have the Unity 5 update. Since it's taking longer than we expected we took the parts that are ready to go and can be used in the Unity 4 version as well, and we're making them available as 1.0.5 now. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have you guys wait for those bits :)

Hi KasperVld, thanks for the update.

If I may, does 1.0.5 address the memory leaks in 1.0.4? Specifically the increased memory usage on each scene transition that eventually causes the game to crash... Its not clear from the notes if some of the other fixes also fix the memory issue. thx. :)

Finally, Andrea (Badie) and Kasper have been making solid progress on the media group applications, and have assessed nearly all the applicants now. Once everything is done later this week they’ll be sending everyone who applied an email with the results.

I've still not had anything. Is it just taking longer than expected or something?

Not that I really expect to get in, but it was worth a shot

Bear in mind direct comm is still possible, so if anything just make sure you have an appropriately sized antenna on there (hint: Bigger dish = longer range). And even if, worst case, you have a probe out by eeloo with just a whip antenna, there remain provisions for not being 100% sunk.

"Buts we wants sse partses now, kerbal kerbal!"

(OK, that was a really bad Gollum ... :P )

Regardless of peoples negative thoughts about updates, I personally think every update is great as it means Squad are further improving an already top notch game.

I may not be as good of a player as most of you here, but if Squad were to stop updating the game right now, I'd still be playing for years to come.

Just playing KSP is perfect......simply my 2 cents worth :)

"Buts we wants sse partses now, kerbal kerbal!"

(OK, that was a really bad Gollum ... :P )

Yeah, even if the probe telemetry part isn't coming in 1.0.5, it would be great to have the extra antennae available anyway (if they're ready).

-SNIP- I suspect that the contracts for working on porting KSP to the various consoles probably had something to do with them needing to have something to call 1.0 sooner than some unknown time in the future.

Money, money money! Oh, and the cart before the horse.

Any release scheduled? And by that, all I need is a "this month," "next month," or "quite some time"

I think it's safe to speak for Squad on this one. Yes, it will be this month, next month, or quite some time from now.

Squad - by policy - never discusses release dates except when the date is actually here.

Any release scheduled? And by that, all I need is a "this month," "next month," or "quite some time"
Sorry to rain on your parade, but SQUAD stopped doing that a long time ago because they thought there would be too many delays and they would be too disappointing to fans. Actually (can I go on a tangent for a second?), there's talk of a police group on Steam for devs, and there is more talk that trolls will flag a dev if he/she's one day off with the release of an update because of a funeral or something. So actually, maybe it's a good thing release dates aren't announced.

EDIT:

I think it's safe to speak for Squad on this one. Yes, it will be this month, next month, or quite some time from now.

Squad - by policy - never discusses release dates except when the date is actually here.

It was a mix of not hitting targets and the community freaking out when they didn't hit targets :D

Wow, you stole my thunder.

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

Mk IV spaceplane parts. Add them. Big planes. circular orbits. finally. (The only circular orbit I've ever made was in my mk IV spaceplane. all my other orbits are elliptical. I'm too afraid my rockets will flip at 10km to try to turn there. I usually burn straight up until 70km, when I make a manuever node to make an orbit.

Mk IV spaceplane parts. Add them. Big planes. circular orbits. finally. (The only circular orbit I've ever made was in my mk IV spaceplane. all my other orbits are elliptical. I'm too afraid my rockets will flip at 10km to try to turn there. I usually burn straight up until 70km, when I make a manuever node to make an orbit.

That's why you turn earlier. Start about when you reach 100m/s. Pitch about 5-10 degrees, let the prograde marker line up with your new heading and then follow the prograde marker. Stop your turn at about end of atmosphere or even slightly lower. (I like to stop somewhere between 60-70 unless it's RSS then I stop turning at 100km)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.