What is your favorite space movie?

Fisk02

Pick one, Please...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which space movie is your favorite?

• 2001: a space odyssey.
    • Interstellar
    • Star Wars (Any of them)
    • Star Trek (Including the TV Series)
    • Alien (Any of them)
    • Moon (2009)
    • Blade Runner
    • Gravity
    • WALL-E
    • Prometheus
    • Guardians of the galaxy
    • A hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
    • E.T
    • The Day the Earth Stood Still
    • None of the above.

I would appreciate if you could answer the question above.

If you have an another favorite space movie, that aren´t at the poll above, i would be thankful if you would post a comment and tell me which one  is your favorite, and share it with the world!

Edited by Fisk02

If there was one.. I am not writing my favourites, there are some worse, and some better movies below, maybe someone likes them.

• Armageddon
  • Space cowboys
  • Deep Impact
  • Sunshine
  • Apollo 13
  • Spaceballs (!)
  • Martian
  • Mission to Mars
  • Red Planet
  • Starship Troopers

I'd say Independence day, but we can see space there for like, 10 minutes?
Isee that Tavi

Edited by The Aziz

I'm not going to pick one form an incomplete list. Aziz is right with his list but even then it still lacks several 'must sees' like Avatar and Event Horizon.
Besides it being incomplete there are several movies on the list that are clearly sci-fi but have VERY little to do with space.

14 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Nobody goes into space in Bladerunner or Day the Earth Stood Still, though Day does have a semi-alien. 

I have this theory that the "Off-World Colonies" in Blade Runner are actually just big incinerators.... And that nobody ever goes into space. Ever. Population control through population propaganda.

Personally I picked Moon, but I'm very partial to Tarkovsky's "Solaris" and any short version of "The Cold Equations." And probably "The Martian".... Too soon to say on that one yet. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Also it's "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy."

The field is too vast to have just one, and vague to define exactly what you mean by "Space Movie." E.T. comes from space, but the movie never showed anything outside of Earth's atmosphere. Iron Man and Iron Man 2 went higher up, could they be "Space" movies?

Of the ones listed, it has to be the original "Alien".  I was 17 when it came out, and just old enough to get in as an adult, and bring along my little brother.  Now we had grown up on Sci-fi movies, and thought we sere just going to see another typical bug-eyed space monster movie....

We were so very, very wrong!  I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie, really horrified and loving it at the same time!  The effects were so good for the late 70's, and also so very dark.  And this was the first really believable alien or ship I ever remember seeing on film.  It scared me like no other movie, and I loved it!

I am still a big fan, and now own 5 of H.R. Giger's books, including Necronomicon's I & II, and The Making of Alien.

Edited by Just Jim
forgot a word

'Forbidden Planet' for me!  (My apologies to those who've seen this short video before:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C5R5OJDpok

It will be nice if we get back the ability to post videos in this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0I-wFTMBCk

Regardless, thanks to the one(s) at Squad who gave up their weekend to get us back up and running.  :)

Edited by Dispatcher

A very long list:

• Star Wars (7 hype!!)
  • Star Trek (Yes, i'm a warrior and trekie) (Also SHOW NOT MOVIES!!! SHOW IS WAAAAAY BETTER!!!)
  • Interstellar (Cause black holes)
  • The Martian (Disco, and MAVs)
  • Apollo 13 (Just really good)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy ('70s music all the way!!)
  • The Right Stuff (Only astronaut movie with real looking actors)

And many others, these are just off the top of my head. If you haven't watched them all, watch them all. Seriously.

Edited by MajorLeaugeRocketScience

• 5 months later...
On 12/1/2015 at 3:06 PM, Skånskpiraten said:

Galaxy Quest! It's perfect for KSP: Never give up! Never surrender!

The constant confused celebration of those aliens always cracks me up. I've had to suppress the urge to do that weird laugh every time I applaud ever since I saw it!

As for my favorite, I'll have to go with Interstellar. Although it's orbital mechanics and spacecraft weren't spot on (*cough* OP Rangers *cough), the soundtrack captures the feelings involved with space travel with a powerful intensity that gives me the feels every time and makes *any* activity awesome.

Edited by cubinator
Remember your capitalization, kids!

I always had a soft spot (between my ears, i guess) for StarShip Troopers. My friend and I always referred to it as "StarCraft Troopers," since we played a lot of StarCraft at the time when it came out. Not to mention about the same amount of cannon fodder was involved.

The Last Starfighter.  It does not take itself too seriously and is quite funny in parts.  And the last scene where he lands his starship next to the trailer park to say goodbye to his girlfriend is just the coolest thing!

Starship Troopers is an absolute hoot all the way through!  It would have to be the worst movie that I have ever enjoyed!

Edited by benzman
spelling mistake corrected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.