Spore

Sharkman Briton

So I was wondering what were everyone's thoughts on Spore? For me my favorite stage is the Space Stage, but it's a love hate thing, I love it because 'explore da milky way! Aliens!' and all that but I hate the 'most alien races are zealots or warriors and hate you as soon as you say hello and they always demand that you give them money, and getting money is really tedious' part... The Cell Stage is fun though, and with the Civilization Stage there's nothing more fun than killing those stupid religious nations that attack your cities' happiness! Though I don't like the Tribal Stage and Creature Stage...

What's everyone's thoughts on the game?

Great concept, lousy execution. I was fascinated for a couple of weeks, and then never played it again. 

Most of the stages were too short for my taste, but then space was very aggressive, which was a royal pain when you had to try to defend multiple solar systems with ONE FLEET. Urgh. 

Tribal stage and Civ stage were a bit lacking; the cell stage was too simplistic, and I just didn't care for the creature stage for some reason. The space stage was the best stage of the game, but even that eventually stopped working. The meat of spore was creation sharing with the online community and seeing what they would create. I still remember the older picture wars game, which tried to turn the GA editor into a turn-based-roleplay/tactics game. Playing adventures built by others could also be quite interesting, along with producing adventures of your own. Unfortunately, the community died out over time, and what remains today is just a shell of the old community (Though I have seen a few members of the old community around here. I believe I first met @Jon144 on there, and I remember @Parkaboy being quite famous in that community as well [must forget that feature steal, must forget that feature steal...])

Anyways, KSP pretty much replaced Spore as my standard vehicle builder, and it seems like From The Depths and Starmade might be replacing KSP in that role right now as well. The Spore community was still fun while it lasted, and I am glad that I am still in contact with a number of them today (Also, if anyone knows the whereabouts of Luckyburdock, can you please tell me?).

I remember playing spore as a merchant race, and money comes easily for me, trading spices from places to places, allying myself with most other races (have some problem? I have cash!), and I can even buying out their whole system if needed. I also tend to uplift a lot of races, so they start out positive with me, and I start trading with them until I buy them off the face of the universe. I sure sounds like some evil corporations huh.

Enormous and potato-shaped planets in the sky just over the head; half-day half-night sky around were a real shock for me.
Then I was stunned first time watching from a spaceship all the places of my animal life.

When I was tired defending the planets, I've just ignored their annoying screams, enabled cheats, got (by cheats) all fictional devices aboard and then just played transforming the planets and moving animals from planet to planet.

And the colonized planets were enough happy without me, defeating the pirates themselves.

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 7:12 PM, Vanamonde said:

Great concept, lousy execution. I was fascinated for a couple of weeks, and then never played it again. 

Most of the stages were too short for my taste, but then space was very aggressive, which was a royal pain when you had to try to defend multiple solar systems with ONE FLEET. Urgh. 

Mostly this, except I still play it from time to time. I have two space civs, but just play one of them, when I feel the urge for those "just one more" games (you know, the same niche that casual mobile games take), but it's really nothing more than that to me.

And the fact your entire civilization has a SINGLE ship is the cherry that ruins the cake.

loved it, but have a few gripes about it:

1-tribal stage is just crap. it is. it's unrealistic, has very little customization, and could have easily been integrated into civilization stage, which would have improved its quality

2-space stage could be cooler. remove eco-disasters, make spice production faster, and allow me to command more than one of my own ships, and it would be perfect

On 20-12-2015 at 10:12 PM, Vanamonde said:

I agree, I was looking forward to that game before it launched. I think the main problem was that they tried to make a game that covers everything, and pretty much just ended up with 4 really shallow, short, uninteresting mini games in one title.

• 1 year later...
On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 9:59 PM, Noname117 said:

Tribal stage and Civ stage were a bit lacking; the cell stage was too simplistic, and I just didn't care for the creature stage for some reason. The space stage was the best stage of the game, but even that eventually stopped working. The meat of spore was creation sharing with the online community and seeing what they would create. I still remember the older picture wars game, which tried to turn the GA editor into a turn-based-roleplay/tactics game. Playing adventures built by others could also be quite interesting, along with producing adventures of your own. Unfortunately, the community died out over time, and what remains today is just a shell of the old community (Though I have seen a few members of the old community around here. I believe I first met @Jon144 on there, and I remember @Parkaboy being quite famous in that community as well [must forget that feature steal, must forget that feature steal...])

Anyways, KSP pretty much replaced Spore as my standard vehicle builder, and it seems like From The Depths and Starmade might be replacing KSP in that role right now as well. The Spore community was still fun while it lasted, and I am glad that I am still in contact with a number of them today (Also, if anyone knows the whereabouts of Luckyburdock, can you please tell me?).

Luckyburdock would be my brother, that was the account we shared back in the day... He doesn't play too many games now so I doubt you could find him easily - he is very busy with work and all. I guess we do share a steam account, not that he uses it much.

1 hour ago, Ambera said:

Luckyburdock would be my brother, that was the account we shared back in the day... He doesn't play too many games now so I doubt you could find him easily - he is very busy with work and all. I guess we do share a steam account, not that he uses it much.

It's been 6 years since I last heard from him. Was always curious as to what happened to him. If you are who you say you are, I'd like to have a conversation with him at some point in time.

Glad he's doing well.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2015 at 6:12 AM, Vanamonde said:

I failed the space stage about seven times because I couldn't get through the Grox. Then I figured out a secret tactic to get past the Grox. (And no, it doesn't involve blowing them up. :cool:)

8 hours ago, NSEP said:

That game is my childhood, it is awesome and amaizngly fun, untill you realize what it was supposed to be....

I remember the preview builds Will Wright & co showed off when it was in development.  Then I got the game day one, played all the way through to the space stage in a single 12 hour session and more-or-less walked away in disappointment.

It's still a decent enough game, but so much got cut for release.  Sad really.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.