The Void UPDATE I'm done with this 1/4/17

Spaceception

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

That's too theoretical, even today, I need something near-term, like NPP, or maybe laser sails.

But it's an idea. Laser sails are about equally theoretical.

Personally I'd go with Bussard ramjets. 12%c top speed, and amazingly light for that speed. You don't even need to have reaction mass be the fuel, it can still work.

Just now, Bill Phil said:

But it's an idea. Laser sails are about equally theoretical.

Personally I'd go with Bussard ramjets. 12%c top speed, and amazingly light for that speed. You don't even need to have reaction mass be the fuel, it can still work.

Alright, the "sail" needed would be a few km across, that could be doable with graphene/magnetic fields, but on the topic of slowing down, would collecting more H2 than need to fill up empty onboard tanks, and jettisoning the sail after the acceleration be good? Because I don't think you can collect H2 when the sail is backwards. Or can you?

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Alright, the "sail" needed would be a few km across, that could be doable with graphene/magnetic fields, but on the topic of slowing down, would collecting more H2 than need to fill up empty onboard tanks, and jettisoning the sail after the acceleration be good? Because I don't think you can collect H2 when the sail is backwards. Or can you?

I think you could just use a magsail.

Also, I recommend that the ship itself be an Orion design, capable of flying around the target solar system.

Just now, Bill Phil said:

I think you could just use a magsail.

Also, I recommend that the ship itself be an Orion design, capable of flying around the target solar system.

Alright.

I was thinking that there could be tanks for excess hydrogen, and one the spacecraft enters orbit around Barnard's Star, it would jettison the sail, then do a flyby of the outer planet, and then get into orbit around the target planet.

Also, am I assuming right that it would be capable of going to 12% c, and then slowing down since it get's fuel from space?

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

Alright.

I was thinking that there could be tanks for excess hydrogen, and one the spacecraft enters orbit around Barnard's Star, it would jettison the sail, then do a flyby of the outer planet, and then get into orbit around the target planet.

Also, am I assuming right that it would be capable of going to 12% c, and then slowing down since it get's fuel from space?

Which system are you using?

Sail, ramjet?

Just now, Spaceception said:

Ramjet

Also, what would be the best shape for the sail?

Okay, a mag sail may not be necessary. It's probably able to slow down on its own power. Depends. May be a staged design with a Bussard ramjet stage and a mag sail deceleration stage, that doubles as an Orion? Idk, it's your design. 

If you use a mag sail, I recommend doing more research. All I really know is that it involves using magnetic principles to act against the stellar medium, slowing you down, and that you probably need super conductors...

Funny thing, the magsail as a concept came about when some guys computed the drag a Bussard Ramjet would exhibit. It's a lot.

Your Bussard Ramjet can and probably will double as a magsail for the deceleration stage.

41 minutes ago, meve12 said:

Funny thing, the magsail as a concept came about when some guys computed the drag a Bussard Ramjet would exhibit. It's a lot.

Your Bussard Ramjet can and probably will double as a magsail for the deceleration stage.

Yes, an magsail is a bit easier to build than an bussard ramjet. Like an bussard ramjet the magsail would work better how faster you travel.
Anybody has an idea of the requirement for one who brakes from 0.2c in 1-2 years? How low speed would it be inefficient? 1% c or lower you don't want to spend decades braking. 

1 hour ago, meve12 said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but I wanted there to be a more dedicated interplanetary craft as the final stage. The ramjet could keep going, maybe Tau Zero could happen, if we can surpass the drag problem.

Actually, I think it was a related concept, but relied on different sources for power, using the particles collected only as propellant.

8 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

But you may not even need to go to another star system. Orbital colonies seem much more doable, unless the whole solar system is exploding. And you could just build a bunch and go a bunch of AU out...

The speed of the sail depends on size and power of the laser.

Black holes will release radiation, which would kill even before the black hole hits Earth.

@Bill Phil @magnemoe @fredinno @PB666 @Halo_003

@Mitchz95 @Rakaydos @mikegarrison @meve12

Thank you for your help/participation, and I'd like to give you a name, so give me one, and I'll put it in the book :)

Also, when I begin writing, criticism is welcome

Edited by Spaceception

6 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

@Spaceception

Hmmm....

Maybe call the book "The Flight of the Rocinante." Idk, though. How about The Gulf, The Void, etc.

Wait, do I get a character or something, is that what's happening.

Also, I'm happy to help.

All of those are already books :)

Yup

I forgot to put in my last post, criticism is welcome wen I start writing chapters.

5 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

Dont mind if i ask but what is this book about?

The year is ____ (Around the 2020s, I haven't set a firm date yet), and scientists discover something unusual within the Oort cloud, a black hole, heading straight for the inner solar system, traveling at several hundred kph, they don't know how it got there with no one noticing, but shortly after the discovery, the worlds space programs decide to unite to build a spacecraft capable of saving humanity by launching it to a nearby star, and colonizing one of its planets, they have less than a few decades to build an launch it before the black hole enters the solar system, so they need to work fast, but everyone is asking the same question; will humanity go extinct?

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

All of those are already books :)

Yup

I forgot to put in my last post, criticism is welcome wen I start writing chapters.

The year is ____ (Around the 2020s, I haven't set a firm date yet), and scientists discover something unusual within the Oort cloud, a black hole, heading straight for the inner solar system, traveling at several hundred kph, they don't know how it got there with no one noticing, but shortly after the discovery, the worlds space programs decide to unite to build a spacecraft capable of saving humanity by launching it to a nearby star, and colonizing one of its planets, they have less than a few decades to build an launch it before the black hole enters the solar system, so they need to work fast, but everyone is asking the same question; will humanity go extinct?

Ooh! Looks like I will read it... For the title perhaps "Darkness Unleashed" or "Into the Darkness" or "Event Horizon" (although I think it's taken already...)?

Just now, Atlas2342 said:

Ooh! Looks like I will read it... For the title perhaps "Darkness Unleashed" or "Into the Darkness" or "Event Horizon" (although I think it's taken already...)?

Thank you :)

Oooooh, Darkness Unleashed, Great idea :)  Although, I want to wait for other suggestions first.

36 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Political, and social, I'm not very good with economics, so that will be yours to judge :)

Meh, just add in the stock market destabilizing, prices getting higher, stuff like that and your good to go!

Also wouldn't the gravitational pull destabilize the planets orbit? Maybe add a problem with asteroids flinging about and some small ones hitting the ship?

Just now, Atlas2342 said:

Meh, just add in the stock market destabilizing, prices getting higher, stuff like that and your good to go!

Also wouldn't the gravitational pull destabilize the planets orbit? Maybe add a problem with asteroids flinging about and some small ones hitting the ship?

:)

I don't plan on hitting the ship with asteroids, as the space between them is so large, maybe close calls, but the Earth does go into an Ice age.

2 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

:)

I don't plan on hitting the ship with asteroids, as the space between them is so large, maybe close calls, but the Earth does go into an Ice age.

Meteors then?

PS: I'm getting hyped about this...