[1.12.x] End your parts list nightmare - Introducing The Janitor's Closet

linuxgurugamer

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The resources is currently not working, as you just found out.  Sorry, hope to get to it in the near future

this also happens with the Modules tab. Maybe, for your own sanity, make a statement of known issues in the first message of the page to limit the amount of questions? (or am I blind and there already is something like that?)

Edit

also, does this mean that you are updating to 1.11?

and suggestion: a search function to search for a mod/module in the list instead of scrolling through

Edited by RedRoyal25
added a question

On 1/5/2021 at 1:08 PM, dozzzz02 said:

is this the mod that when you hover over a part it shows from what mod it is?

Yes, it is.

And as a supplementary question in this regard, could there be a possibility of better handling of the Tooltip that shows when hovering? I think currently, it shows the Root level folder name (inside GameData) of where the first instance of that part config is located, however, if a subsequent mod is installed that patches that part significantly, the 'name' of the mod that the part belongs to does not change.

This is easily seen when using mods such as Ven's Stock Revamp or ReStock that heavily patch existing parts to the extent that they appear to be new parts but are in fact an existing part (in this case the Stock part). Install Ven's or ReStock and Janitors closet and hover over the parts. They will all still say 'Squad' because they originate from the Squad folder as Squad parts even though Ven's or ReStock are redoing them extensively. Is there a way that this could be communicated to the end user?

25 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

And as a supplementary question in this regard, could there be a possibility of better handling of the Tooltip that shows when hovering? I think currently, it shows the Root level folder name (inside GameData) of where the first instance of that part config is located, however, if a subsequent mod is installed that patches that part significantly, the 'name' of the mod that the part belongs to does not change.

That comes directly from what's in the internal game database.  All of those changes are done via MM, but internally they stay the same.  Nothing can be done about that other than possibly adding more fields/modules to parts to identify them in other ways

Quick stupid question, I'm sure is answered, if I permaprune, it will go across all saves correct? I have an RP1/RO KSP setup and want to prune all of the non-RP1 parts I don't use from one save, and then start a new clean RP1 with the pruned parts removed.

Thanks Linuxgurugamer!

On 1/14/2021 at 6:31 PM, KIMCHI said:

Quick stupid question, I'm sure is answered, if I permaprune, it will go across all saves correct? I have an RP1/RO KSP setup and want to prune all of the non-RP1 parts I don't use from one save, and then start a new clean RP1 with the pruned parts removed.

Thanks Linuxgurugamer!

Yes. that is correct

On 12/30/2020 at 10:33 PM, RedRoyal25 said:

this also happens with the Modules tab. Maybe, for your own sanity, make a statement of known issues in the first message of the page to limit the amount of questions? (or am I blind and there already is something like that?)

Edit

also, does this mean that you are updating to 1.11?

and suggestion: a search function to search for a mod/module in the list instead of scrolling through

Thanks Guru! This mod has sped my game up incredibly! I just installed KSP on my MBP since Ill be out of the country for a month and its so much slower than my regular computer. I pruned at least 400 parts and it cut my load in half. This is a MUST have mod for RP/RO users.

It seems like I could use the filters to perma prune all parts that aren't part of a given mod, is that the case? And what happens when a texture is used by two parts, one of which I have perma pruned, while the other is in use?

5 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

It seems like I could use the filters to perma prune all parts that aren't part of a given mod, is that the case? And what happens when a texture is used by two parts, one of which I have perma pruned, while the other is in use?

That's a good question, but i'm going to guess that shared textures aren't affected. This is only assuming that the texture files aren't renamed/pruned out of the way, just the configs?

It's hopeless, you know...

After spending hours and then some, I finally thought I could perma prune  a good number of parts I haven't used in ages. But no, next time I load KSP, I get loooong list of crafts that wouldn't work anymore.

Never thought or been aware that I have oh so many crafts using old, depreciated parts. Some crafts, while being updated and updated again over the years, even were built originally in 1.3.1..

Next career then. Maybe... :D

One question though: is it possible to perma prune just one specific part from the block list instead of all or none?

What a powerful tool you gave us, thanks, @linuxgurugamer ! :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

One question though: is it possible to perma prune just one specific part from the block list instead of all or none?

It wasn't made to do that.  What I can suggest is that you use the PartInfo mod to find out the name of the file, and prune it by hand.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:51 PM, VoidSquid said:

On 1/18/2021 at 4:03 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

It wasn't made to do that.  What I can suggest is that you use the PartInfo mod to find out the name of the file, and prune it by hand.

I'm not interested in perma-pruning individual parts, but is there a way to filter out and hide individual parts instead of entire mod sets? If I've got 13 [maybe? haven't actually counted how many there are] airplane propellers all added by Airplane plus, and I want to soft hide 6 of them but still see the other parts of that mod, is that possible? So far all I've managed is find is to hide an entire mod, or not. I'm guessing this isn't a thing, but I won't know unless I ask.

5 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I'm not interested in perma-pruning individual parts, but is there a way to filter out and hide individual parts instead of entire mod sets? If I've got 13 [maybe? haven't actually counted how many there are] airplane propellers all added by Airplane plus, and I want to soft hide 6 of them but still see the other parts of that mod, is that possible? So far all I've managed is find is to hide an entire mod, or not. I'm guessing this isn't a thing, but I won't know unless I ask.

You can bide them without doing the permaprune.  I think the command is ctrl-rightClick  while hovering over a part to bring up a menu where you can specify blocking a part.

In the editor (VAB or SPH), hold the Alt key while clicking on a part. A two line menu will be shown, giving you the option to block the part in the scene you are currently in (VAB or SPH), or block it entirely:

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

You can bide them without doing the permaprune.  I think the command is ctrl-rightClick  while hovering over a part to bring up a menu where you can specify blocking a part.

Ah, there we go, was actually alt-right click, but wouldn't have thought to try without that hint. Thanks, glad I asked.

Just now, vardicd said:

Ah, there we go, was actually alt-right click, but wouldn't have thought to try without that hint. Thanks, glad I asked.

You are too fast, I was just checking the first post :

In the editor (VAB or SPH), hold the Alt key while clicking on a part. A two line menu will be shown, giving you the option to block the part in the scene you are currently in (VAB or SPH), or block it entirely: