"There's no easy way to say this."

Superfluous J

Anyway, there isn't anything in this conversation to make me happy (unless any of the aforementioned former devs jumps in and gives us some solace). My wife's rewatching Gilmore Girls for the nth time, I'm gonna pretend to pay attention to that instead :(

Fly safe o7

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I don't think it's potential is wasted.  It's a wonderful game as it is, even if 1.2 were to end up being the last.

That's a very good point. Just the other day I mentioned to someone that 1.2 feels like the first update worthy of the 1.0 moniker.

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

That's a very good point. Just the other day I mentioned to someone that 1.2 feels like the first update worthy of the 1.0 moniker.

It would be a shame if KSP got dumped now.  It seems to just be building up momentum with the space community and wider gaming community as a whole. I would say, from an economical point of view, there is still a lot to be gained out of KSP.

1 minute ago, worir4 said:

What about those job ads they put a month or two ago? I thought they were recruiting new people. I guess all these guys leaving would explain why they are.

vOv We'll have to wait for the news. Yeah, this group leaving could have been due to a ton of things, poor working conditions, crap pay, contractors being "let go", etc... I'm more inclined to believe that Squad is looking for another one or two people to work in Mexico to keep the game up-to-date and bug free while they look into money-making opportunities. This thing's a cash-cow of epic proportions.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I have a bigger concern, and that is that some overeager higher ups will try to continue the development after the entire team leaves like this.  I've seen it happen before, not just on games either.  I'd almost rather 1.2 be the last.  They can make KSP 2, but continuing development when the core team pulls out is usually disastrous.

4 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

You don't need much from programmers for that.

But you do need a competent artist... Who just left.

I look forward to the art assets in the game remaining an incoherent mish mash of different people's work.

Losing NathanKell is a huge blow too, the amount of fixes and QoL the man has implemented is beautiful.

Edited by Beale

9 minutes ago, regex said:

I doubt they will be replaced. Maybe one or two, but I'll bet Squad is going to look into either selling or licensing the franchise rather than keep it as a flagship.

This is my thinking as well.  The Kerbals might just be bigger than the Space Program.

Actions will speak louder than words in the long run. Let's wait and see what happens. For all we know the folks who are leaving were headhunted away by another studio, or have decided to form their own game company.

I'll also note that Rover Dude and Nightingale aren't on the list, so there's still some high quality talent staying.

Edited by Norcalplanner
Stupid auto-correct

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Maybe 1.2 is the end product ( a few patches and fixes here and there after it releases)  but maybe it's really just done?  It's sad but I understand money doesn't grow on trees. Just blind speculation 

I've had the feeling for a while that KSP was starting to feel like a finished product.  My honest guess was 1.4 being the last major update.

5 minutes ago, fireblade274 said:

Ah but anyone hoping for Lifesupport could still be dismayed I assume 

I think it's become pretty clear that LS isn't happening.

1 minute ago, Norcalplanner said:

Actions will speak louder than words in the long run. Let's wait and see what happens. For all we know the folks who are leaving were headhunted away by another studio, or have decided to for their own game company.

I'll also note that Rover Dude and Nightingale aren't on the list, so there's still some high quality talent staying.

Oh sure, but it's more fun being Negative Nancy around here and, quite frankly, I really only care about RO/RSS because the base game is so utterly boring to me that I can't even be bothered to open it 95% of the time.

3 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

From what I understood, the graphical update was going to include new rocket parts, but now that Porkjet's left, that's unsure.

Yeah, kind of weird to leave all of a sudden when part overhauls and modding expansions seemed to be big parts of 1.2/1.3.

I think they will continue their (awesome) work as modders still. Leaving Squad != leaving KSP.

12 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I don't think it's potential is wasted.  It's a wonderful game as it is, even if 1.2 were to end up being the last.

This is true. As I said, I did get my money's worth out of the game and then some.  There are just so many more places this game can go!  I doubt they will let those opportunities go when they could very well be profitable.

These valued community members better not be alienated from contributing to the community. If they have been alienated via NDA or other means, I think we as a community need to rise up and show squad that we don't appreciate it.

Edited by JedTech

1 minute ago, regex said:

Oh sure, but it's more fun being Negative Nancy around here and, quite frankly, I really only care about RO/RSS because the base game is so utterly boring to me that I can't even be bothered to open it 95% of the time.

If it came down to it, I could deal with the upkeep of RSS.  

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

If it came down to it, I could deal with the upkeep of RSS.  

Well, sure, I could too; I've been a contributor in the past for RSS, RO, and a bunch of mods that they rely on. All it really takes is a willingness to plumb the depths of Google and any books you have laying around for information on the subject and an understanding of ModuleManager. However, all that has been "crowd-sourced" to some extent so it isn't really a one-person job. If KSP ends up being stable, after this update, then RO won't require any "upkeep", really, just new parts added as someone desires (and then you just "crowd-source" their desire, or "Add it yourself").

I don't see @NathanKell or @stratochief66 dropping the ball there any time soon and, if they get burnt out there are tons of other people who are intimately familiar with RO to take up the banner.

Anyway, I'm really hoping 1.2 will end up being a "stable" build so people can properly mod it rather than follow an endless update cycle.

It's been a long, strange trip so far though.

It's also really important to remember that this game has been in development for over five years now. We were bound to see a point in time like this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.