Blackline

[1.7.3] Real Battery v1.7

Recommended Posts

Oh, sry, didn't recognize your post here :-)

I'll hack that in later. currently I am working on a way to get my batteries to work at higher warp rates: a dynamically expanding EC buffer, you get the full credit for the idea ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FreeThinker found some more datasheets: http://www.edutecnica.it/elettronica/datasheets/PASSIVI/MC_Cell_Power_BOOSTCAP_Ultracapacitors.pdf http://www.maxwell.com/images/documents/K2Series_DS_1015370_5_20141104.pdf

The 3000F one has:

  • 5.52 Wh per kg
  • 13800 W per kg max, 5400W continous power
  • 0.55 kg mass @ 0.475 litre volume

which gives 3Wh and 8/3 kW.

For comparison, a 200kg stock "battery" has 4000kJ -> about 1.1 kWh. A 200kg supercap (with those specs) would have 1.1kWh as well. So now we know where SQUAD got the specs from ;-)

Edited by Blackline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Blackline said:

@FreeThinker found some more datasheets: http://www.edutecnica.it/elettronica/datasheets/PASSIVI/MC_Cell_Power_BOOSTCAP_Ultracapacitors.pdf http://www.maxwell.com/images/documents/K2Series_DS_1015370_5_20141104.pdf

The 3000F one has:

  • 5.52 Wh per kg
  • 13800 W per kg max, 5400W continous power
  • 0.55 kg mass @ 0.475 litre volume

which gives 3Wh and 8/3 kW.

For comparison, a 200kg stock "battery" has 4000kJ -> about 1.1 kWh. A 200kg supercap (with those specs) would have 1.1kWh as well. So now we know where SQUAD got the specs from ;-)

that a bit disappointing, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Here is a nice pic of its internal workings

Electric_double-layer_capacitor_(Activat

 

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It you want better energy storage, you gotta have to use fuel cell, they have a specific Energy of more than 500 Wh/kg (graphene super capacitor only has 85.6 Wh/kg, which translates to 308 kJ/kg)

A possible configuration would be to convert all Hydrogrogen + Oxygen rapidly into water in powerful fullcells and  store the waste water in big external water bladders.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy, folks!

I'm playing with MM patches and this mod. My plan is to make a patch that, instead of cloning batteries, replaces any battery whether standalone or integrated into another part. I'm also looking into making a patch to work with AmpYear, making the reserve batteries use the Real Battery mechanics. Would this be something @Blackline would interested in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to make a battery that acts like a lead acid battery but that cannot be charged? Can the charge rate be defined as zero, or a decimal? Could I just make a few cloned lead acid batteries with re-charge rates of say .00000000000000001?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackline hasn't replied to his thread in months. I too hope to see this project continue. I made my huge battery bank compatible with it. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, i am currently on Stellaris, but i didn't die away :D

@DJ Reonic yes thats absolutely possible to replace all batteries with my RealBatteries. I already did that once, ill try to find the *.cfg

@Errol yes thats an already integrated functionality: Single use batteries. Although i'd need to make a new cfg file i guess.

@SpaceMouse I'm alive :-)

Cheers

DONE, see OP

Edited by Blackline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Blackline Ever heard of the mod JDiminishingRTG? I think it would go great with this mod, however it hasn't been updated since 1.1.3

Anyone think they could make it compatible with this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nertea has a cfg file called NFElectricalRTGPatch.cfg shipped with NearFuture Electric, which enables decaying RTG's. Its within the Zip Package under Extras.

@Errol Btw, did you try out the non recharchable Lead-Acids i made you?

Edited by Blackline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blackline said:

@Nertea has a cfg file called NFElectricalRTGPatch.cfg shipped with NearFuture Electric, which enables decaying RTG's. Its within the Zip Package under Extras.

@Errol Btw, did you try out the non recharchable Lead-Acids i made you?

Just had a chance to fire up KSP for the first time in a few days. Tried real battery in a vanilla install, and I only seem to be able to get L-ion batteries to show up in the VAB, in both a fresh career start and sand box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackline said:

Yes, its always the same part, you switch the type in the right clock menu.

OHHHH!

I was working on duplicating the .cfg and making more batteries of different types. The comment in the OP about part upgrading makes more sense now. 

Something I don't know about how the part upgrade mechanic works, does it affect parts that are currently in flight? I would not like that at all....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got halfway through reading the thread and thought of flywheel energy storage. Was about to skip ahead to suggest that as an addition, but it looks like a certain sagacious simian beat me to it :) 

But yeah. That would be... How did the ancient Greeks say it? Ah, yes, "Mad dope, son". 

Sorry. I should go to bed haha. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I am convinced. Massive, high speed wheels will be the next big thing in realBattery ;-)

But what about the torque created during charging or discharging? I need to do some wiki on this, do they use counter rotating masses??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Ok, I am convinced. Massive, high speed wheels will be the next big thing in realBattery ;-)

But what about the torque created during charging or discharging? I need to do some wiki on this, do they use counter rotating masses??

Use reaction wheels as both the charging mechanism and the discharging mechanism. If you can get it to apply localized torque in two opposite vectors, maybe you can cause RUD by over-powering it haha. 

Sorry, to answer your question: design them or perhaps role play them as having contra-rotating flywheels. Always in pairs, you know? 

EDIT: and Wikipedia has done some work for you, where upgrades can be applied:

First generation flywheel energy storage systems use a large steel flywheel rotating on mechanical bearings. Newer systems use carbon-fiber composite rotors that have a higher tensile strength than steel and are an order of magnitude less heavy.[5]

Magnetic bearings are sometimes used instead of mechanical bearings, to reduce friction.

Other components are hub and shaft.

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2017 at 9:51 AM, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Use reaction wheels as both the charging mechanism and the discharging mechanism. If you can get it to apply localized torque in two opposite vectors, maybe you can cause RUD by over-powering it haha. 

Sorry, to answer your question: design them or perhaps role play them as having contra-rotating flywheels. Always in pairs, you know? 

EDIT: and Wikipedia has done some work for you, where upgrades can be applied:

First generation flywheel energy storage systems use a large steel flywheel rotating on mechanical bearings. Newer systems use carbon-fiber composite rotors that have a higher tensile strength than steel and are an order of magnitude less heavy.[5]

Magnetic bearings are sometimes used instead of mechanical bearings, to reduce friction.

Other components are hub and shaft.

maybe you guys can use some info gathered developing flywheel battery mod (I stopped dev mostly because of overpowered nature of flywheels):

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch, forgot it, sorry. I'll try to remembur until im home from work.

As an alternative, why dont you just prune all stock batteries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I'm aiming to do, is to replace all stock E/c storage, whether in batteries or in command pods/probe cores, etc. with Real Batteries, if that's even possible, and then make KSP use that, if that's possible.

Edited by DJ Reonic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't try it, but i think it should be enough to change the very first line in my RealBattery_mm.cfg to somethink like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]

 

WARNING  That really converts ALL parts with EC to Realbatteries WARNING

Edited by Blackline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2017 at 0:59 PM, Blackline said:

I didn't try it, but i think it should be enough to change the very first line in my RealBattery_mm.cfg to somethink like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]

 

WARNING  That really converts ALL parts with EC to Realbatteries WARNING

I tried exactly this, and all my parts were renamed to Real Battery names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.