[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

33 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

I tried to plant a flag three times on Icarus, and every time the Kerbal vanished in a puff of smoke. Ships are OK with enough radiators, but we really need a KIS-type outfit or backpack for a Kerbal to wear in extremely hot environments when on EVA.  The suit/pack can be expensive and/or near the end of the tech tree and/or only be good for five minutes, but there needs to be some solution.

I have an idea but it will require some time and testing

2 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Getting to Icarus and back in 10x seems to cost something like 70 km/s of delta-V with my sketchy orbit plotting. Without NFP's advanced gridded ion drives I doubt it would really be possible - chemical rockets can't get anywhere near that. 

Well, gravity assists could get you there too, if you're not in a hurry and have those mad math skillz. 

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

70km/s....that's the nastiest thing I've read yet on this forum. xD 

On this note... what's a transfer to [REDACTED] cost at 10x?

That transfer is cheap - it is a solar escape trajectory. It is not that much further out than Hox - I think you can get an encounter for under 10 km/s from LGO in 10x, or about there. The key is getting there faster and braking once you get there. The stock ion engines can manage it easily.

@CatastrophicFailure No point in redacting Grannus' name anymore. Those cursed early Grannus survey contracts ...bursting the bubble even harder than it already should've. :rolleyes: Max is right. A capture burn will cost you a finger or two because it has about 37.8g iirc. That's a lot more than Ciro's 25.8 g.

It is ironic that smaller stars actually have higher surface gravity due to the extreme density - red dwarfs are barely larger than Jupiter but with at least 80 times the mass. They are essentially partially degenerate as they reach the hydrogen burning limit. Sun-sized stars are puffed-out a bit due to all the heat production from fusion. 

If Grannus had a planet orbiting it there could be some interesting flight trajectories - you could use the planet to capture at Grannus (or planet plus oberth), then use the planet again to raise your perihelion for eventual orbital capture. Honestly, I would like to see Tellumo moved to orbit Grannus (or at least something like it) - there seems to be a lot of largish terrestrials orbiting that type of star. Either that, or make it a red/brown dwarf binary with the secondary being class T or Y - I don't think something that temperature has ever been modeled in KSP. 

I am assuming that Grannus is supposed to be an actual star - I am not 100% of its mass. 

I had the same idea. What if Tellumo orbited Grannus? I can't say anything about that but I can say that OhioBob's never written anything afaik that suggests Grannus could have been anything other than a main sequence star.

I can also say that there's something out there to make it worth your time, especially if you're an avid USI fan.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

I tried to plant a flag three times on Icarus, and every time the Kerbal vanished in a puff of smoke. Ships are OK with enough radiators, but we really need a KIS-type outfit or backpack for a Kerbal to wear in extremely hot environments when on EVA.  The suit/pack can be expensive and/or near the end of the tech tree and/or only be good for five minutes, but there needs to be some solution.

After some experimentation I've been able to get a kerbal out to plant a flag on Icarus if I'm at the top of a hill, though they start heating up quick and if you aren't ready to board before they go *poof* they will be toast. There are however safe places on Icarus. Some nice and tall mountains  :cool: I initially wanted to see if I could plant a flag from a service bay but my engine made the vessel too high, didn't take the time to try with radial engines flush on the surface with the bay.

EDIT: Relatively safe. I went AFK there and when I came back Jeb and a bunch of internals in the bay were gone haha.

5VM45D1.jpg

Rk6Jp8d.jpg

Edited by Tynrael

I planted a flag at sea level on Icarus and my kerbal didn't die. Granted, I was still as worried as anyone. What are you guys doing so long? Taking selfies?

No. This is not sea level. Apparently I lost my screenshot of that, if I even took it.

k0KzYrG.jpg

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

...they're supposed to be putting out 6 ec...

Admittedly, I haven't upgraded to the latest version yet... is this maybe a known  thing?

Kopernicus and solar panels generally have arguments but maybe those particular ones are bugged. Check its maker's thread?

Spoiler

creepy-emperor-palpatine-unlimited-power

@JadeOfMaar i though Icarus don't have atmosphere and thus means night side is cooler? Oo this will become a nice russian Banja session...(and i think you have a new Tweack target... highinsulation spacesuits for Kerbals:wink:)

@Tynrael what about Nerteas Flat-Profile Engines? I think Atlas was the name. Or a Skycrane build for realy flat clearence?

Im not realy sure but would it be the way through Texture Replacer. Add a suit not only with other look but with inbuild abilitys? Like high heat tolerance or pressure tolerance? I'm asking out of curicuriosity. 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

3 minutes ago, Urses said:

@JadeOfMaar i though Icarus don't have atmosphere and thus means night side is cooler? Oo this will become a nice russian Banja session...(and i think you have a new Tweack target... highinsulation spacesuits for Kerbals:wink:)

@Tynrael what about Nerteas Flat-Profile Engines? I think Atlas was the name. Or a Skycrane build for realy flat clearence?

Im not realy sure but would it be the way through Texture Replacer. Add a suit not only with other look but with inbuild abilitys? Like high heat tolerance or pressure tolerance? I'm asking out of curicuriosity. 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Ah. You found me out. A vacuum planet can be borderline lava or radioactive and still emit a lot into the space immediately around it. I'm also indeed entertaining an idea for a potential KIS cooler feature.

The Atlas low-profile engine is from B9 Aerospace. Nertea's cluster engines might not match that. TextureReplacer can't add functionality to a suit as far as I know.

@JadeOfMaar

1. Good point! Radiation

2. Atlas hmm i use Legacy i think you might be right

3. Gogogo (chear) i think a part is realy the way to go. Heavy bulky thing that enable to survive but not realy suitable for work.

4. Me no C-fu me noob me asking:D but maybe the otherway around? If your part is there in use and TR us installed a automatic switch to heavy duity suit?

Just now, Urses said:

@JadeOfMaar

1. Good point! Radiation

2. Atlas hmm i use Legacy i think you might be right

3. Gogogo (chear) i think a part is realy the way to go. Heavy bulky thing that enable to survive but not realy suitable for work.

4. Me no C-fu me noob me asking:D but maybe the otherway around? If your part is there in use and TR us installed a automatic switch to heavy duity suit?

Umm... I'm just looking at injecting a module into a KIS item and inject a temporary resource supply for it into the kerbal. Suits don't switch like that in flight.

48 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Umm... I'm just looking at injecting a module into a KIS item and inject a temporary resource supply for it into the kerbal. Suits don't switch like that in flight.

I though more about SPH/VAB skin change, you have to add the item there to seatinventory.

As you said skin is something spezial but if you equip something on Kerbal or let him grab a item in inventory you "see" the item on his back or in hands? And if i understand you right you invite something like the EVA-propelant flasks from ignotz but with "Coolant" as ressource. Interesting idea. Can't await the outcome. I bet it is sometging sweet again:wink:

Good time, work calls me

Urses

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Kopernicus and solar panels generally have arguments but maybe those particular ones are bugged. Check its maker's thread?

Reveal hidden contents

creepy-emperor-palpatine-unlimited-power

I don't think it is a problem with modded solar panels. The Stock Gigantors produce like 0,8 kEc/s at Gael and a supposed for 0,027kEc/s? And it is like 40x as much ?

For Sure Infinite :D

Urses

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
7 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Getting to Icarus and back in 10x seems to cost something like 70 km/s of delta-V with my sketchy orbit plotting. Without NFP's advanced gridded ion drives I doubt it would really be possible - chemical rockets can't get anywhere near that. 

Well, gravity assists could get you there too, if you're not in a hurry and have those mad math skillz. 

That's probably the answer - a bi-elliptic transfer with an assist from a large planet at the transfer's apoapsis.

5 hours ago, CSE said:

That's probably the answer - a bi-elliptic transfer with an assist from a large planet at the transfer's apoapsis.

That would make the capture burn worse - you need to lower your Aphelion before encountering Icarus. The best bet I could think of would be using Niven to put you in an orbit where your AP is at Niven, your PE somewhat lower, than use a resonant orbit to progressively lower your PE to encounter Icarus. Then, you can use multiple Icarus encounters to lower your solar AP until you can get a cheap Icarus transfer. The final Niven encounter could also do some plane change.

That is a pain in the butt to plot though - I just used ion engines, since solar panels are basically infinite energy mode that close to Ciro. 

The problem isn't lowering your solar PE from Gael, its lowering your Solar AP and plane-matching at Icarus. 

Also, are you guys trying to tell me that Icarus is composed primarily of Plutonium? 

So, I just installed this mod (after clearing EVERYTHING out of KSP and re-installing it.)   Beautiful planets!    I am looking forward to the challenge.  However I have one small problem... <SOLVED>   I had SSTU extra configs loaded.  removing them fixed my issue   Thanks!

Edited by Pappystein

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So, speaking of stars and such...

I haven't thoroughly investigated this oddity yet, but... these solar panels...

SNIP

...they're supposed to be putting out 6 ec...

Admittedly, I haven't upgraded to the latest version yet... is this maybe a known  thing?

Happened to me over the weekend with stock panels.  Needed to restart game and it went away

@Norcalplanner @CatastrophicFailure @Tynrael

Anyone who wants a little extra EVA time on Icarus or Thalia, try THIS patch. It just raises the max temperature a kerbal can withstand from 800 to 1400.

Im working on a side project currently that will allow you to upgrade EVA suits as you progress in a career. What Im hoping to achieve is simple: Upgrade the Astronaut Complex to level 2 and it increases the maxTemp by 400. Upgrade the complex to level three and it will increase the maxTemp by another 400. Anything over 1600 is a bit overkill and unrealistic i feel. Retreating to the vessel to cool down should be required at some point.

Edited by Galileo

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Me. Get a Kerbal. To Icarus. Or Thalia. That's rich. You're a funny guy, @Galileo.

so what im hearing is you would have been happy with GPP if it was JUST Gael, Iota and Ceti? Go melt your boots on Icarus!