[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

4 hours ago, Tynrael said:

@Galileo Great job on updating textures! Was pleasantly surprised when I landed on Ceti with my Kerbals compared to my first probe there. Very much approve of the increased scatters as well.

7s3NUJ8.jpg

@RoverDude mentioned this problem in his stream yesterday? and he was just messing around on the KSC Island. Can I get confirmation on this fix there?

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@RoverDude mentioned this problem in his stream yesterday? and he was just messing around on the KSC Island. Can I get confirmation on this fix there?

What problem? Before, in 1.1 the textures were big and ugly on the surface. I upped the tiling and made things look better. BUT if you are playing with a scaled system, the texture tiling is multiplied by some value and it can look pretty Bad

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

What problem? Before, in 1.1 the textures were big and ugly on the surface. I upped the tiling and made things look better. BUT if you are playing with a scaled system, the texture tiling is multiplied by some value and it can look pretty Bad

A terrain texture in scaled systems making it difficult to see your own shadow and judge altitude while landing Lack of terrain detail might be a thing too. He had to put ground-facing spotlights on his craft to compensate.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

A terrain texture in scaled systems making it difficult to see your own shadow and judge altitude while landing Lack of terrain detail might be a thing too. He had to put ground-facing spotlights on his craft to compensate.

I have experienced something like this but don't think the quality of the terrain texture has anything to do with it, while getting closer to the surface on certain areas the shadow will just vanish and then reappear later on like it wouldn't draw on entire segments of the body. Non-scaled system.

Shadows in ksp are really wonky anyway. GPP doesn't mess with that and the textures have zero to do with it. Scatterers shadow bias stuff might mess with it a little but I doubt it.

Edited by Galileo

50 minutes ago, astroheiko said:

... I lose the connection to CommNet because of re-entry effects during the ascent. Then of course I can not control it anymore. Do you see a way to solve this without taking a pilot with me?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're having problem during ASCENT not descent correct?  If I'm wrong on that then ignore this suggestion...

As mentioned above, if you use several Direct antennas that combine you can get enough power to burn through the plasma blackout.  Using a relay sat you deposit in orbit is a good idea, yes, but make sure that it has a significant amount of power.  Not just the bit you need to get back to Kerbin, make it strong - 100G or better would be best but 50G might cut it if you're not rescaled.  Then, when you're ready to lift off again time your ascent to when your relay sat will be coming over the horizon behind your craft as you ascend.  This is particularly important when you start getting to blackout phase be sure it's behind you, not ahead.  This combination will probably allow you to get back to orbit without comms blackout although you may have to experiment a bit with the number of Direct antennas you need on the landing craft.

By the way, if you time your descent to the relay sat you can use this same technique for landing to avoid the comms blackout.  In that case though, make sure you start your descent so that the relay sat is actually coming over the horizon behind your craft just as you're about to hit atmosphere and you will broadcast at near full strength out of the plasma stream nearly the whole way down.

Edited by rasta013

18 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Shadows in ksp are really wonky anyway. GPP doesn't mess with that and the textures have zero to do with it. Scatterers shadow bias stuff might mess with it a little but I doubt it.

Yeah I saw this and tried to replicate the issue on a clean build of GPP 1.2.2 without Scatterer installed (as per RoverDude's build) and I could not recreate the lack of shadow. I think its like you say, Galileo, KSP's shadows are just wonky sometimes.

@Galileo

You are right, there is the option to disable the required network connection, but I do not want to "cheat" if it can be avoided. At the moment I see no other option - or a pilot.

@Urses and @Tynrael

Excuse me, I may have expressed badly. I have no problems during the landing but on the ascent. As the Rapier speed build up I lose the connection through the plasma effects. CommSats are already in orbit. Here is a picture of the vehicle as it looks in orbit before it descends. As I said it comes down well.

gTasyQc.jpg

@rasta013

Thanks for your hints, I must try. I have 2 relays in polar orbit around Tellumo with 2 RA100 antennas. The signal strength is 100%. However, I have not yet tried to station another antenna in a low equatorial orbit.

Edited by astroheiko

I don't think this is related to GPP but I was able to pick any video I have at random and find instances of what I was talking about. I hadn't ever looked into it before but what I was talking about is starting to look like a gap in transitioning between blob shadows and better shadows.

Blob shadow, sheared such that as I lower down the shadow doesn't continue past that hard stop, then the shadows is gone for 1-3 seconds, then when it shows again its in the shape of my craft.

AlqXi47.jpg

12 minutes ago, Tynrael said:

I don't think this is related to GPP but I was able to pick any video I have at random and find instances of what I was talking about. I hadn't ever looked into it before but what I was talking about is starting to look like a gap in transitioning between blob shadows and better shadows.

Blob shadow, sheared such that as I lower down the shadow doesn't continue past that hard stop, then the shadows is gone for 1-3 seconds, then when it shows again its in the shape of my craft.

AlqXi47.jpg

Try turning the shadow bias stuff down to 0 in the scatterer window on the main menu. See if that helps

@rasta013

The hint with the relay in a low equatorial orbit behind the spaceplane has worked. I have not lost the connection for a second. The Spaceplane made it into the orbit.

Many thanks for your help - to all. After almost a year and well over 2000 hours I still learn something new. There is no such thing in any other game.

Greetings

1 minute ago, astroheiko said:

The hint with the relay in a low equatorial orbit behind the spaceplane has worked. I have not lost the connection for a second. The Spaceplane made it into the orbit.

Glad that worked for you.  I had to solve a re-entry problem with sample return probes from asteroids because I kept flipping when hitting the atmosphere at 4.8 km/s when I lost connection.  I ended up with a 6 sat constellation in a 120km, 8.6inclined orbit so I didn't have to work so hard to time up my re-entries with Trajectories on return.  I later noticed it also worked to keep connection during a high altitude hypersonic test. :D 

@rasta013 ty from me too. Realy nice advice! Now on the way to install a aditional sat combination. Im wondering if a sat formation like the atomic age sign would be helpful there, equatorial highly excentric? Or geostationary with sight at GSC from retrograde? For permanent contact.

Urses

45 minutes ago, Phil Kerman said:

One last question than I´m done with upgrading to 1.2.2 : Theres a "SOURCE" folder in my Final Frontier GameData. The 1.2.2 Final Frontier folder does not contain this. Do I have to remove it? 

You can if you want

So...Bob had an impromptu barbecue on Icarus. Is it supposed to be 1000K with the sun only about 25-30 degrees above the horizon? The whole area should be glowing red if that is the case. This was at Icarus' aphelion to boot!

3 hours ago, Urses said:

@rasta013 ty from me too. Realy nice advice! Now on the way to install a aditional sat combination. Im wondering if a sat formation like the atomic age sign would be helpful there, equatorial highly excentric? Or geostationary with sight at GSC from retrograde? For permanent contact.

Urses

I've tried the helix orbit you're referring too.  In it I used two sats in each orbit setup like this:

45N Orbit x2 / 45N Retrograde x2

135N Orbit x2 / 135N Retrograde x2

90o N Orbit x2 / 90S orbit x2

All orbits were at 95km.

I made sure that I put each of the pairs on opposite sides as well so as to have to longest coverage above the horizon as possible.  Additionally, I found the retrograde relay sat orbits worked just as nicely when they were passing the horizon ahead of you as you enter on high angle re-entries.  The speed of the retrograde orbit allows it to come overhead just about as you hit the high pressure zone and start plasma build up.  If you use really high power antennas as well this kind of coverage can also almost guarantee coverage from all but the worst ecliptic positioning luck.  

2 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

Are there plans to integrate the cloud sunset effect from scatterer? It looks kinda fine on most of the planets but it totally messes up the gas giants

Not until blackrack fixes scatterer. Eve integration breaks any cloud texture that isn't 255,255,255,255 

if there is any color in the cloud texture it messes up. This is why the gas giants don't look right.

he is aware of the issues and is working on them. No ETA on a release. Just keep the setting disabled until then.