[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

On 2.3.2017 at 8:28 PM, astroheiko said:

@Luovahulluus

Snowplough, that's good.:P

The cooling could be just enough. I recommend testing the Rover before it gets serious. With F12 opens a cheat menu with which you can bring the rover into an orbit around Icarus. Before, of course, save the game. So you can also test the landing approach. In the case of the antenna, it depends on whether you have already established relay stations on other planets. If you bring a relay at your transfer stage, then it could be enough.

I always do it when I do not know exactly what is coming to me. Afterwards, I load my save and make changes or, if everything is good, I start the mission.

Testing the rover in it's destination feels like cheating to me. I'm going to explore new worlds so there should be unknown factors.

10 hours ago, eddiew said:

As long as you have decent reaction wheels and keep them turned on, it'll be fine. Make sure to remap your wheel controls so that turning left doesn't also try to roll you over. After that, SAS will just keep you on course and vertical :)  The obvious question is; have you driven it on Gael? Because Gael's rough terrain is probably worse than Icarus has to offer, so if it survives at home it should do ok on the mission. I'd wager that anything on the underside will get scraped off after a few km... maybe that doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't blow up the main body when it goes.

Personally I would consider more cooling... The antenna depends on whether you have an orbiter with a relay. If you send a transfer stage that stays up, then you can lighten the antenna requirements on the lander by quite a lot.

I've had the wheel controls mapped to the arrow keys for a couple of years now. I only put some orbital scanners on the bottom of the craft, and I'll use them before going to the surface, so losing them (or the plough) doesn't matter.

The rover handles pretty well on Gael. There are some problems with driving with SAS on. My kOS script has a speed control which keeps the speed in the range I want it to be, an adaptive steering which makes the wheels turn less when the speed is high to avoid spins and roll-overs (or it can just take over control and drive the rover to some specified coordinates or a selected target and stop 40m before hitting it). It also has a custom SAS: It points the front of the craft to the direction it's going and pitches and rolls the craft to the same direction the slope below it is. This way the craft will always land on it's four wheels. It also has some additional features for a craft that is designed to go 20 to 40 m/s on a low gravity world.

Thanks for the advice on the antenna though, for both of you. I haven't played the game that much with them. I decided to put two more small radiators on the craft and pack four 15G relay satellites with it.

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Tynrael The ResearchBodies telescope is just being weird.

I think I found the cause, it looks like there is a patch (In ResearchBodies) if Kopernicus is detected that sets the distance to 540Mkm and this currently overrides the observatory distances set in the latest 1.9.1 release or the initial distances for the part in the earlier releases.

Hm. I just noticed that eclipses dont seem to be working. The Scatterer menu has a box i checked awhile back for cclipses stating them as WIP. Is this meant to be checked, or no?

Edited by Motokid600

31 minutes ago, 4d4Garrison said:

Just sent a rover to Augustus.

Next video I plan to land on and return from Tarsiss.

Loved it. I did notice the jittery terrain on Augustus and it is fixed in the next update. If anyone was wondering.

I just got home and plan on putting in some long over due work tonight. It's been like 2 weeks since I had any serious free time. 

Edited by Galileo

On 3/5/2017 at 3:00 AM, Luovahulluus said:

Testing the rover in it's destination feels like cheating to me. I'm going to explore new worlds so there should be unknown factors.

in Real Life rover designers spend years testing in every way they can think of to simulate the target environment. I don't think it's really too much of a stretch to F12 into orbit and do a trial descent to model the craft's behavior.

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

in Real Life rover designers spend years testing in every way they can think of to simulate the target environment. I don't think it's really too much of a stretch to F12 into orbit and do a trial descent to model the craft's behavior.

There is a dual purpose mod, KRASH, that allows simulation for the cost of funds that requires you to have been to the SOI of a body so surface or orbital encounters can be tested for up front funds with additional funds/minute. The second thing it does is take its name to heart and occasionally crash KSP. I think it helps balance out the rationale for testing and if you rely on it too heavily your piggy bank will get much lighter. It takes care of all the backups so you can either restart or terminate the "simulation" without having to worry about anything changing in your save, except the fee of course.

On 3/5/2017 at 3:00 AM, Luovahulluus said:

I feel the same way. I've never used hyper edit, preferring to do all my testing on Kerbin/Gael and its moons. If there's the occasional failure, then that's just part of the enjoyment of the game. Heck, I'm currently on my third Icarus lander because the first two both met untimely ends. But this is what fun looks like for me. :)

Edited by Norcalplanner
Added real smiley

I feel exactly the same way as @Norcalplanner above. I do, however, use quick saves and loads to make the best I can do with the equipment I have with me.

14 hours ago, Tyko said:

This is true too, and I don't judge you for doing that. But I'm not running a real space program, I'm running a Kerbal space program. My kerbals have been a spacefaring race for just over 160 days now. Clearly there hasn't been years of planning :)

Just not to be completely off topic, here is a picture of a rover that just used two thirds of it's monopropellant fuel getting out of the cargo bay, effectively stranding itself on Ceti. It had barely enough twr to lift itself up at Ceti, as it was based on a model I used on Iota, and I didn't think about the higher gravity before launching.

sgn9xkW.png

The shuttle doesn't have enough crew capacity to get everyone home and if doesn't have enough reaction wheel authority to turn it upside down for easier access to the bay. The solution here, the most kerbal way I believe, is to build a hovering crane that will lift the rover to the cargobay. And because flying that will be quite difficult, I'll write a kOS script to help me with flying the thing. It may not be very realistic approach, but I believe it will be fun and challenging, especially as I really don't know too much about programming… And no, I won't be testing it for years, the Kerbals run out of food in 40 days…

Edited by Luovahulluus

So I sent my first two exploratory interplanetery probes to Icarus and to Thalia.  Icarus was a fail as I didn't have enough Delta V to perform my insertion burn so ended up doing a flyby and waved bye-bye as my probe disappeared into deep space...

Next was Thalia....  I never knew it was RADIOACTIVE!!!!  boo boo boo..  A nice insertion burn and a circularised orbit until...  HEAT HEAT and more HEAT and then POP......  Reload quick save and try again...  Same result.....  Checked wiki... Hmmm there seems to be some sort of "vast environmental hazard" DOH!!!  Next reload turned into a flyby and an intercept with Eta...  Landed and Biome hopped collecting all of the science....

Next up Tellumo......

I love this discovery adventure.

Thankyou @Galileo and @JadeOfMaar and all you other clever peeps who have put together this awesome pack. Your work is appreciated....

19 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Do any of Ciro's planets collect asteroids, a la Dres? I keep getting lucrative contracts to get science from some, but I really can't be bothered chasing them down in solar orbit...

not in the current release, but in the update yes

I'm sorry if this question was asked before, I only looked twenty pages back into the topic. I have the following problem with the sun:

f5186Xy.png

As you can see, the sun has no flares and it is a bit gloomy compared to stock KSP. This is KSP 1.2.2 with Kopernicus 1.2.2-4, 1.2.2-3 or 1.2.2-2 and GPP version 1.1 and no other mods installed. I tried various versions of Kopernicus because I saw that both GPP and Kopernikus recently reported fixes to sun luminosity. KSP without mods and KSP with only Kopernicus installed work fine. Have you by any chance encountered such issues?

he solution here, the most kerbal way I believe, is to build a hovering crane that will lift the rover to the cargobay. 

Try lowering the shuttles rear landing gear and drive up the wing? :D

47 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Shiolle Did you install the Alternate Ciro cfg from the (top level of) the download? Ciro has a Scatterer-driven sunflare by default but you don't have Scatterer installed.

No, to isolate this problem I had a clean copy of KSP wit only Kopernicus and base GPP installed, without alternative config or any other mods. These are the contents of my GameData folder:

oC1vmpT.png

@JadeOfMaar Ok, I'm sorry about posting the question prematurely. Alternative Ciro.cfg without scatterer and regular Ciro.cfg with scatterer work great. However before I started experimenting I got this problem on a version with scatterer and original cfg. I was also trying to make GPP work with Extrasolar mod there, so I will continue my experiments. Thank you.

Edited by Shiolle

I´ve got a big problem with a world firsts contract.

after exploring iota,ceti,tellumo,lilly,niven and eta (i love eta, especially jeb´s dive. spooky going down there in EVA), i accepted the world firsts contract "explore thalia" . So far so good. Landed on every biome. Completely S.C.A.Nned it. I started a base there ( with tons of radiators protecting every part of it ), BUT one of my contract parts says " Splash down in the oceans of THALIA" .

I got stuck now, for days. Building orbital bases around every researched planet, rescueing kerbals etc. I want to go on with the main missions. What can I do? There is not a single drop of water on Thalia. 

Please help me :wink: 

@Phil Kerman Thanks for the headsup. That splashdown contract is indeed something that we wouldn't want happening to anyone. Please decline the contract and reimburse yourself with the debug window.

Spoiler

You forgot to include screenshots of your base. You know... That'll help things... a lot. Maybe not for this problem but yeah. :wink: 

Thanks for the reply!!!

Didn´t know that there is a debug menu. 

Pictures coming soon, I´ve just landed here at the forum :wink:

Edit: Not declineable, but i pressed finish contract. The problem is, in the mission control room there pops up a new "splash down in the oceans of thalia". I timewarped, hoping that the contract is gone after 4 days, but it just refreshed itself with a new 4 day deadline for accepting it.

I guess this is the last part of the "world firsts" contracts that i have to do before another planet gets into focus, because i´ve planted flags,built stations, transferred, docked etc on every discovered planet/moon.

Is there an option the completely delete this contract? 

Edited by Phil Kerman

4 hours ago, Phil Kerman said:

I guess this is the last part of the "world firsts" contracts

I think this is where the problem is at.  If it's flagged as a World's First, it can't be denied and if there are any that are linked to it as a requirement for offering others there is no way past it.  Even if you debug your way past it they, for some reason I don't know, usually pop back up again after a while.  If you haven't got many of them left they come up again quicker.  This is a bit of a guess but I've seen this kind of behavior myself in World's First contracts and mods before.

3 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

I think this is where the problem is at.  If it's flagged as a World's First, it can't be denied and if there are any that are linked to it as a requirement for offering others there is no way past it.  Even if you debug your way past it they, for some reason I don't know, usually pop back up again after a while.  If you haven't got many of them left they come up again quicker.  This is a bit of a guess but I've seen this kind of behavior myself in World's First contracts and mods before.

What is even stranger is how Thalia is being considered as a world first body.