[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

22 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

BTW, if Kerbals living on Gael are Gaeleans, what are Kerbals living on Tellumo?

I wondered about that myself. Humans living on Earth aren't "Eartheans" or "Earthans," though sometimes I hear "Terran" depending on the sci-fi author. I would figure these funny-head-shaped green-skinned critters would always be called "Kerbals" regardless of where they call home.

Just now, Gordon Fecyk said:

I wondered about that myself. Humans living on Earth aren't "Eartheans" or "Earthans," though sometimes I hear "Terran" depending on the sci-fi author. I would figure these funny-head-shaped green-skinned critters would always be called "Kerbals" regardless of where they call home.

Poodmund and I have both made the argument that they are still Kerbals regardless of were they live.  The way I see it, Kerbals is synonymous to "Humans", and Gaeleans (or whatever) is synonymous to "Earthlings". 

2 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Terran (much like Terrestrial) is a broader term than human.

Human refers to the species Homo sapiens (but it is most commonly used for the subspecies Homo sapiens sapiens)

Terran/Terrestrial derives from the word Terra, which is latin for Earth, and refers to everything originated on Earth.

any living organism, and even inanimate matter which is originary of Earth can be described as "Terrestial"

in most sci-fi there seems to be a single intelligent race for planet, in that case it would make sense for those species to refer to one another using their planet of origin.

In this context, "Kerbal" would be the name of the species while "Kerbinian" the adjective used to refer to anything originary of kerbin

(or at least this is what I would expect, the term "Kerbinian" is never used in-game so that is just a guess on my part)

it is also to be expected that the term "Kerbinian" is not used to refer to the kerbals, since they are the only intelligent species (more or less maxresdefault.jpg) and so they would have no reason to refer to themselves as "Kerbinians" much like we don't usually refer to people as "Terrestrials"

http://prntscr.com/h3y5dj @Gordon Fecyk

What do you think about this location for the KSC, it is 2 degrees of of the equator and at a height of 2064 (hereunder is the bit of code I changed) 

//PQSCity
			latitude = 2.00
			longitude = -101.04
			lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			repositionToSphereSurface = true
			repositionToSphereSurfaceAddHeight = true
			//repositionRadiusOffset = 18
			repositionRadiusOffset = -20
			reorientToSphere = true  
			reorientFinalAngle = 0
			//reorientFinalAngle = 72

// MapDecal
			decalLatitude = 2.00
			decalLongitude = -101.04
			heightMapDeformity = 2230
			absoluteOffset = 0
			absolute = True
			radius = 2700
			removeScatter = False

groundColor = 0.261,0.238,0.13,0.1
			groundTexture = GPP/terrain/grass00

14 minutes ago, Chocolat Oreos said:

http://prntscr.com/h3y5dj @Gordon Fecyk

What do you think about this location for the KSC, it is 2 degrees of of the equator and at a height of 2064 (hereunder is the bit of code I changed) 

Looks like a good place to launch rockets from, but that mountain off the end of the runway looks treacherous.

Edited by OhioBob

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Looks like a good place to launch rockets from, but that mountain off the end of the runway looks treacherous.

Yeah sure, the end of the runway is glitching in the terrain a bit, I will try to move it to the other side of the mountain, but at this level; atleast the first srb can fly a capsule into the air! so career might be a lot more possible here

1 hour ago, AG5BPilot said:

Shorter.

BbgL7x3.gif

40 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Are you kidding? That’s the perfect way to get airborne when you just... can’t... quite... get the nose up...

oh. You mean the other end... :o

8 minutes ago, captinjoehenry said:

Hi I am using the Bases and Station contract pack and I'm not getting any station launch contract.  Any ideas for what I could do to fix that?

I would bring it up with the contract pack dev. We aren’t responsible for whether or not they work. I know that that pack was confirmed to work, but seeing as how it was last updated for KSP 1.2.2, something could have changed. I disable all contracts when I play, so I have no idea if any contract packs actually work besides strategia.

Just now, Galileo said:

I would bring it up with the contract pack dev. We aren’t responsible for whether or not they work. I know that that pack was confirmed to work, but seeing as how it was last updated for KSP 1.2.2, something could have changed. I disable all contracts when I play, so I have no idea if any contract packs actually work besides strategia.

Thanks for the quick reply

I’ll have to take a look at this later today. I definitely don’t like the noticeable rectangular, flat terrain and I have tried my best to make all of my flattened areas blend in with the terrain around them. I would definitely like to keep that standard if possible. Tellumo is tough because Gaels height map was tailored for launch sites, as where Tellumo was made to look untouched and almost inhospitable with how much the terrain varies. It will be hard to find a high, flat area I would assume. You may want to look around at some of the plateaus as some reach a height at which they flatten out.  Another issue that may present itself is that those plateaus may not be on the equator, like Gael.

You can’t make the flat area less flat.. well, you can but the terrain will clip the KSC. No matter what, you will need a flat piece of land for the KSC to sit on. It’s about location, and having the KSC nestled on a mountainside isn’t going to be an ideal spot, unfortunately.

Edited by Galileo

7 minutes ago, Chocolat Oreos said:

Here is a screenshot on how it looks right now

That's not bad, actually. I do like the drop-off at the end of the runway for take-off, but landing in that direction would be difficult. It'd be easier to turn around and come back from the coast.

One can shrink the area the KSC takes up by using smaller values for radius in the //MapDecal section for the Space Center, and then shift the actual buildings around a little with latitude and longitude values in the //PQSCity section. The radius = 10000 was just me being frustrated with the small parcels of land I was getting for the KSC, and you can shrink that a lot. That might help with Galileo's concern about it not blending in with the terrain.

@Gordon Fecyk Can you do that for me, I can't really do much with rotatations and excrements, and I've already sized down the //mapdecal radius as much as possible, at 4500 the runway would float above the air so I moved it to 4600, and school is being a poodle for me this week, you know what would make it hella easier, if we made a discord server for this? just tell me your discord name and I can make something, I believe...

On 10/29/2017 at 5:39 AM, Chocolat Oreos said:

@Gordon Fecyk I made this patch over your files that makes the atmosphere 70kms thick, litterally copied the atmosphere curve of gael and pasted it instead of the atmosphere curve of tellumo, then I made the atmosphere 1atm thick instead of 1.9, here is the download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nixy9ghiva5yfw6/TellumoSpaceProgram.zip?dl=0 I tested everything and it appears to work... with my minor modding skills...

edit: I made a reddit post on this (with install instructions) 

By the way, I just noticed this comment. Unfortunately, I will not package or support anything that requires you to remove original cfgs or overwrite anything. This will create confusion for users and will create bug reports that i really don't have patience for. I would highly recommend using Module Manager to accomplish this. 

Edited by Galileo

22 minutes ago, Galileo said:

By the way, I just noticed this comment. Unfortunately, I will not package or support anything that requires you to remove original cfgs or overwrite anything. This will create confusion for users and will create bug reports that i really don't have patience for. I would highly recommend using Module Manager to accomplish this. 

I have almost no experience modding and have a tiny bit of understanding of the program language used in the modding (I think it's python out of my head?) And these are just files, something you could call a PRE-PRE alpha. I need help from people to understand how to mod and I am willing to learn it!

And what do you think about making a discord server for this discussion, I've already tried to make something simple, it's just if you are willing to join together with all the other chaps

2 minutes ago, Chocolat Oreos said:

I have almost no experience modding and have a tiny bit of understanding of the program language used in the modding (I think it's python out of my head?) And these are just files, something you could call a PRE-PRE alpha. I need help from people to understand how to mod and I am willing to learn it!

And what do you think about making a discord server for this discussion, I've already tried to make something simple, it's just if you are willing to join together with all the other chaps

There is a GPP discord but its not public. I can make a channel for you if you like? That way you will also get feedback from the devs throughout the process?

Edited by Galileo

Back to Tellumo strategies, how far can we get with an orbital module that can dock underwing of an atmospheric stratolauncher?  Still have to gain a ton of speed, but is it possible with LV-Ns from flight altitudes? Assume FMRS or the like

37 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Back to Tellumo strategies, how far can we get with an orbital module that can dock underwing of an atmospheric stratolauncher?  Still have to gain a ton of speed, but is it possible with LV-Ns from flight altitudes? Assume FMRS or the like

I think Tellumo's gravity would make the LV-N entirely useless anywhere within atmosphere. The tyranny of the rocket equation will really bite thanks to that.

Also @eggzy thanks for the heads up. I'll make appropriate adjustments.