Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

45 minutes ago, razark said:

It's almost as though not everything Squad says should be taken as a guarantee.  No wonder they refuse to even mention possible release dates 99% of the time.

(Although, @SQUAD, it's probably time to come up with a new (realistic) estimate, since y'all screwed the pooch and gave an estimate on this in the first place.)

I've been playing computer games for 25 years, but I've never seen such a disgusting attitude toward consumers as the SQUAD, especially on consoles

10 minutes ago, Kerbuvim said:

I've been playing computer games for 25 years, but I've never seen such a disgusting attitude toward consumers as the SQUAD, especially on consoles

Meh.  People will sell anything.  People will buy anything.

Stupid companies are as common as stupid consumers.  Does it really mean anything?

Hi @Trunkmonkey, welcome to the forum! It's great to have more console players in the community. As you know, the first console port was a bit of a disaster and we're waiting for the rewrite of that port by a new contractor. It's been a pretty frustrating wait, but well done for your patience so far. Last we heard, it's gone into QA, which is one of the final stages of development. We don't know how long it will stay in QA before certification, but we can at least see that we're getting close.

6 hours ago, Kerbuvim said:

I dunno, I've been gaming for about the same time and I've seen many bad releases just abandoned and the player left with nothing for their money. Squad is at least trying to get a fixed release out to replace the bad one, even if it's taking longer than expected. 

On 12/14/2016 at 8:25 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Nicely done, Squad. Here's hoping take two works better than take one.

Well that was a strangely prophetic way I worded that. But anyway. I stand behind what I said in this very thread half a year ago:

On 12/14/2016 at 8:25 AM, 5thHorseman said:

And just to everybody else, "Early Next Year" does not mean "January 3rd." It could mean anything to "first quarter" to "first half" to "before fall." As I said in another thread, changing boats mid-stream is not a recipe for quickness in updates.

5 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hi @Trunkmonkey, welcome to the forum! It's great to have more console players in the community. As you know, the first console port was a bit of a disaster and we're waiting for the rewrite of that port by a new contractor. It's been a pretty frustrating wait, but well done for your patience so far. Last we heard, it's gone into QA, which is one of the final stages of development. We don't know how long it will stay in QA before certification, but we can at least see that we're getting close.

Thx for reponding to my post i hope the same things you do i loved this game the moment i layed eyes on it years ago then when i saw it was on consoles my excitement went through the roof because i never thought it would or could happen i waited years i can wait a little longer 

10 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

Well, I know we're most likely not gonna see it before the one year mark, since there's less than 9 days on the clock.

It's still possible if they get it into certification sometime this week, but as you say it's unlikely.  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed though because I'm off work next week and it would be amazing if I could spend all week going into space. 

1 hour ago, PledgeX said:

But will it still be a 300 part limit on consoles?

I would imagine so.  No amount of re-porting the game is going to upgrade consoles' lackluster hardware.

That's not so certain, though! They have increased performance with the new port. We know that because they have been able to improve the graphics settings to show real shadows, for example. It'll be interesting to see if that part limit gets increased.

On 29/06/2017 at 3:31 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

It was coming for PC before Take Two. 

I actually don't have a problem with decent DLC if it keeps good games supported longer. It just doesn't make financial sense to continue developing games in the "long tail" sales stage without it or some other revenue stream. 

look how long squad went without charging us for dlc, games dont need constant dlc to make sales they just need to be good, then they will continue to sell, to date ive gifted like 20 of my friends kerbal space program, thats 20 copies sold right there

14 hours ago, PledgeX said:

But will it still be a 300 part limit on consoles?

considering the modern Minecraft console ports are still (severely) limited in world size, I'd assume that KSP would still have a limit. 300 isn't that bad really.

My friend is thinking of getting KSP on Xbox one. Is it worth buying in its current state or shall i tell them to wait for the update?

Some people are saying it is unplayable but some are saying it just crashes sometimes, so i am a bit confused to which is true.

(Getting it on PC is not an option)

9 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I don't know who that troll is but that is not my reddit account.

Must be GIC trying to sneak back in and cause some trouble:D

Edited by worir4

4 hours ago, worir4 said:

My friend is thinking of getting KSP on Xbox one. Is it worth buying in its current state or shall i tell them to wait for the update?

Some people are saying it is unplayable but some are saying it just crashes sometimes, so i am a bit confused to which is true.

(Getting it on PC is not an option)

Must be GIC trying to sneak back in and cause some trouble:D

As I understand it you can't buy it at the moment, it will become available again when the update is ready. 

4 hours ago, worir4 said:

It would depend on your friend's level of patience.

"Playable" is subjective.  One man's "save corruption leading to restarting a career" is another man's "unplayable".   Either is definitely not the intended experience, and will be rectified in time.

Edit:  Oh thats right, RIC.  Seems the choice has been made for your buddy already worir4.  Standby!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/kerbal-space-program/bxg8b9h91f7x

Edited by klesh

1 hour ago, worir4 said:

Thanks, i supposed it is best that it is not available to be bought so that people don't get put of KSP for good because of the current problems. 

I fear it's too late for that, I mean it was still being sold until about a week ago.  My guess is anyone who would have been put off already has been.  I fear this because if the community dies we won't get any dlc.  As such, if the new port is a resounding success, I'll be telling everyone I can that it's fixed and they should buy it.  I already know a couple of friends of mine have held off buying until it's fixed.

19 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

As I understand it you can't buy it at the moment, it will become available again when the update is ready. 

Oh... I hadn't realised that.

I expect there will be some conspiracy theorists with something to say about that!

At least squad and (wince)fte  are not taking good money after bad

1 hour ago, Broke dead dogg said:

Oh... I hadn't realised that.

I expect there will be some conspiracy theorists with something to say about that!

At least squad and (wince)fte  are not taking good money after bad

FTE is no longer involved in the project. I suspect the change of porting partners has contributed to the delay in the update. 

This week, more of the same...

In other news, testing for recent console builds continues. The external testing team, who have been helping us out for a couple of weeks already, continue providing us with valuable feedback. The QA team is very happy with the quality and usefulness of their reports, which are being revised as they come. Improved playability and stability for the console versions has been the focus for the past months and huge progress has been made. We want to deliver the best port we can possibly make, so the testing phase plays a crucial part in achieving that.