SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

48 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Why do people assume "he made it up" is equivalent to "he lied"?

He "made up" the idea of having a rocket company and went ahead and did it.

Because this is 2017 and nobody can take a flarping joke anymore. :huh:

Also, I am reminded of that Mythbusters episode where they tried to launch a car by  strapping rockets to it. 

Guess it turns out all they needed was.

wait for it...

MOAR BOOSTERS!

44 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Just saw this in another comment thread...

if they’re sending something toward Mars, it means they’re no longer planning to attempt recovery of the second stage. :(

Not necessarily... perhaps that could be a reason the payload is a car (a tonne or so). Not a lot of payload. This means that the stage should have extra propellant. Enough to return to Earth? Probably not, but I don't have the numbers.

13 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Not necessarily... perhaps that could be a reason the payload is a car (a tonne or so). Not a lot of payload. This means that the stage should have extra propellant. Enough to return to Earth? Probably not, but I don't have the numbers.

Hes going to park it in the 'restaurant at the end of the universe' orbit, its a drive-in of course.

4 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Looks like the Verge screwed up big time.

How so? They asked him for confirmation, he confirmed it, they ran the story, then he DMed them on Twitter to say it was "totally made up". Then other sources confirmed it was legit.

There was a screw-up, but it sounds like it was Musk himself who mis-communicated somehow. I wonder if they'll post the text of that DM.

23 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Do they have plans on teapots?

It might well be an teapot in the trunk or other compartments but announcing it would kind of spoil the purpose. 

Either its an teapot in orbit between earth and mars or not. 
However now you can go an look for yourself :)

290c07fa4026063dea4d540d79639d1e.jpg

3 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

How so? They asked him for confirmation, he confirmed it, they ran the story, then he DMed them on Twitter to say it was "totally made up". Then other sources confirmed it was legit.

There was a screw-up, but it sounds like it was Musk himself who mis-communicated somehow. I wonder if they'll post the text of that DM.

It looks to me like they misinterpreted that DM somehow and thought that the plan wasn't real. Then rushed to update the article.

Either that, or Elon changes his mind every 10 minutes or so.

10 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And that one Top Gear episode... Proving that Stig cannot into space.

They were trying to make their version of a space-shuttle. I went about a football field.

It would have worked better if they had used their lucky hilux.

7 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Would a teapot even survive the launch?

You'd have to pick your teapot carefully (this is very important, after all) and package it well, but it should be doable. Think of the time a pecan pie was launched on the Shuttle. It was only "a little squished" but otherwise fine.