SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, tater said:

That tiktok is flatly wrong. All medical tests have a false negative and false positive rate.

It was as much info as I could fit into the medium -- I didn't have time to go into the impact of Ct and doubling via amplification.

3 hours ago, tater said:

The true FP rate for PCR is very low, but not 0. A number I have seen is 0.4%. At low prevalence as a prior, a substantial % of tests become FPs.

True FP for COVID PCR is roughly 0.01% based on the Ontario guidelines.

3 hours ago, tater said:

Due to the exponential growth with each cycle, however, PCR detects virus LONG after people have recovered. At a cycle threshold of 40, out to ~12 weeks. People are not infectious after ~9 days (higher the sicker they are, with the longest times for ICU patients). They have been unable to culture live virus in anyone with a test that required 35+ cycles (most tests are 38-42 in the US), and from what I have read, no one is infectious if the CQ was over ~28-30. There was a talk at Santa Fe Institute I saw that suggested (months ago) that all the tests should be done at MUCH lower cycle thresholds, intentionally missing "cases" where people are already over it in favor of only detecting people actively infectious (very low CQ). So in an attempt to reduce FP rate by more cycles, they detect uninteresting "cases" of COVID-19.

Anything under Ct 25 means you're contagious. From 25-35 you're looking at a low risk of contagiousness; it's more probable that you've recovered. At 35-38 you're definitely not contagious but you still definitely had the virus recently. Above 38-40 cycles you get into the possibility of amplifying incomplete viral material.

They shouldn't stop cycling at 30; that's a bad idea. But they should report cycle threshold on positives so that physicians can make recommendations.

31 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Plumbing under the Methane turbopump has suffered critical existence failure.

I hate it when that happens. :mad:

9 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Pneumatics

So... burning air, then?

In all seriousness, if the flarping fuel plumbing melted(!!!!!!), it’s really mind-boggling that the whole thing didn’t go all critical existence failure. :confused:

Maybe on shutdown a few valves of the preburner didnt close properly, leading to a more stochiometric=hotter flame which melted the housing like a bunsen burner. This could have been caused by failed pneumatics...

Edit: Elon Musk said that the engine failure caused the loss of pneumatics, not the other way around, so maybe something else kept the valves from closing.

Edited by Elthy

1 hour ago, Flying dutchman said:

Could someone perhaps draw a circle around where the molten pipes are? I have been looking at this image for 10 minutes now :P

55 minutes ago, sir rocket said:

Me too

The turbopump is on the other side of the engine, it's not in that photo.

Edited by RCgothic

2 hours ago, Flying dutchman said:

Could someone perhaps draw a circle around where the molten pipes are? I have been looking at this image for 10 minutes now :P

My friend also can't see anything wrong, apart from it it looking like a crumpled up loose ball of wire, or as if a spool of pipe fell of a cliff, then rolled down a hill and ended up as a winner of a crash derby.

That being said, I'm sure there is method to the madness. It works, right? Kind of, at least.