SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 minutes ago, JB182 said:

when will starship do its orbital launch?

If we had known for certain, this thread would mostly consist of posts counting down the hours.

I seem to recall Musk saying they aimed for July, but his aim in these regards is famously a bit shaky.

Just now, Codraroll said:

If we had known for certain, this thread would mostly consist of posts counting down the hours.

I seem to recall Musk saying they aimed for July, but his aim in these regards is famously a bit shaky.

k

There was a photo of a shipping status chart for engines for the orbital launch test spotted at Hawthorne recently.  It seemed to be counting down to approx end of 1st week of July.

Assuming then 1 week to go through acceptance testing at McGregor and 2 weeks for installation and static fires at Starbase, we're then looking at end of July or start of August at the very earliest.

There's still a lot to do on Booster 2, SN20, and the orbital launch complex (tower, launch table and tank farm) though. My personal guess would be late some time in late August or early September.

Edited by RCgothic

9 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Emphasis on “might”. He said they “might” fly SN15 again too. But given that 16 is unflown and built, they may as well try to glean more data from it somehow 

They want to save SN15 as an memorial,  the hypersonic flight might well not include an landing as in they burn it dry aiming for maximum attitude and velocity.
The most interesting part here might be how control surfaces works at high velocity. 

Do we have any figures for approximate Delta-v for Starship alone? If they're doing a hypersonic test anyway, I'd love to see it do single stage to orbit with no payload, just because it would be cool to have something actually do SSTO.

9 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Do we have any figures for approximate Delta-v for Starship alone? If they're doing a hypersonic test anyway, I'd love to see it do single stage to orbit with no payload, just because it would be cool to have something actually do SSTO.

A Starship SSTO would have to be completely stripped down to work, no flaps, heatshield or landing propellant.

Hypersonic doesn't necessarily mean orbit anyway. Hypersonic is Mach 5+, whereas orbit is more like Mach 25.

If you ever wondered how SX was going to make any monies by flinging internet into space and bathing rural areas in low grade radiation:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/new-federal-broadband-maps-show-stark-differences-access-affordability-rcna1220

The Red parts are where broadband is needed 

46 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

If you ever wondered how SX was going to make any monies by flinging internet into space and bathing rural areas in low grade radiation:

There's still a lot of part of the world that have similar situation as well. The concept works, the (immediate) effect on the masses works, but we'll see if there's anything interesting coming in the future as well.

Edited by YNM

9 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hello! :)

Did you checked already this video done with "SpaceX RO Falcons"

3 hours ago, Flying dutchman said:

Max Delta v for Starship sn16 while stille able to take off is about 4700 i think, correct me if i'm wrong.

With the current engine version with full tanks is about 9541m/s using only the VAC engines.

The target is about 11,610m/s for Mars mission.

6 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

Sn16 only has three of them. That limits the amount of fuel they can take off with.

yes the maximum is about 4300m/s with current version of for the ATM engines in a Low or a High flight.

Edited by pmborg

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The drawing of BN2 shows a boatload of Raptors sketched for future hanging 

How many would they actually need for suborbital testing?  Is 3 enough?  6?

5 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

How is superheavy gonna deal with the heat from ~30 engines all inches away from each other. One of Ares Vs biggest downfalls was the heatload from the rs-68s nested together.

They deal with it the same way Ares would. Regenerative cooling. 

Which raptors already use. 

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

3 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

How is superheavy gonna deal with the heat from ~30 engines all inches away from each other. One of Ares Vs biggest downfalls was the heatload from the rs-68s nested together.

I assume the regenerative cooling is enough to take the heat away from the bells where the rs-68s ablative cooling wasn't enough. Raptors were designed to be used in clusters after all.