Jump to content

SpaceX Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

(paraphrased) "If Korolev knew that we'd still be flying Soyuz in 2020, he'd be turning in his grave."

Well, shots fired much! (not that he's wrong)

If it ain't broke...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Elro2k said:

Meaning they're switching to a different type of stainless or they're using a completely different material?

He’d mentioned previously using a different stainless, like that proprietary 30x on Cybertruck. Sounds like they’ve just been using what’s cheap and well-understood to find their feet before moving to the more advanced stuff.  

Edited by CatastrophicFailure
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

["If Korolev knew that we'd still be flying Soyuz in 2020, he'd be turning in his grave." ] If it ain't broke...

Soyuz first flew in 1966, and has 1700+ flights.  Boeing 737 first flew (commercially) in 1968, although Boeing appears to be breaking that classic design.

The goal for Starship is to be like Soyuz, and if success blocks the next generation then so be it.  Perhaps Elon will simply design another, or simply go and do something else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Dragon has brought to ISS fresh garlic.

Garlic? In a space station? When you can't even open a window? They seriously?

In space the sense of smell is reduced and thanks to the fact that you don't  have convection  the smells don't  go around too much

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wumpus said:

Soyuz first flew in 1966, and has 1700+ flights.  Boeing 737 first flew (commercially) in 1968, although Boeing appears to be breaking that classic design.

The goal for Starship is to be like Soyuz, and if success blocks the next generation then so be it.  Perhaps Elon will simply design another, or simply go and do something else.

I'd think Starship would be more like Boeing 737 than Soyuz.

One is a plane, one is a rocket. I get that. But one is reusable and the other is not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flavio hc16 said:

In space the sense of smell is reduced and thanks to the fact that you don't  have convection  the smells don't  go around too much

Taste is dulled too. I'm not surprised astronauts want more spices in their diet :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

He’d mentioned previously using a different stainless, like that proprietary 30x on Cybertruck. Sounds like they’ve just been using what’s cheap and well-understood to find their feet before moving to the more advanced stuff.  

As I understand they wanted an special kind with an focus on low temperature strength, however for the prototypes they uses 301. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Muggles: making ships out of aluminium.
SpaceX: makes the Dragon out of carbon.
Fans: Wow! It's the future tech!

Muggles: making rockets out of aluminium.
SpaceX: makes the Starship out of steel.
Fans: Wow! It's the classic tech!

Conclusion: Anything but aluminium makes the fans happy.

 

On 3/9/2020 at 1:53 PM, Dirkidirk said:

I still call it the BFR, and BFS and BFB

And that's an idea.

BFS.
Big Furry Ship.
(and BFB for Boat)

As anyway they now cover it with heat protection, let it be a heatproof fur, not just tiles!

So, on launch and on reentering the ship is smooth and easily slides through the air.
In midair it raises the fur and gets fuzzy, so the drag grows and this helps to brake.

In space (or on the Moon) it raises the fur, too, and this works as vacuum thermal insulation.

On the Mars it can raise the fur daily, like in vacuum, and bring it down to sweep the dust.
As well, it can sweep the droplets of liquid on Europa or Titan.

And, the last but not the least, its warm and wooly touch is much nicer than a cold metal ship.

Edited by kerbiloid
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...