SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

10 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

This is not true. Boeing is planning on reusing their (ground-landed) capsules and NASA is fine with that. I am positive that SpaceX dropped their human reuse when they decided to switch to ocean landings.

My speculation is that they had never initially designed the capsules for saltwater immersion and were not willing to go through whatever certification and refurb would be required to crew-rate a capsule that was previously immersed in saltwater.

NASA cares, SpaceX might not. I was thinking they dropped human reuse for NASA as the customer (not necessarily some non-NASA customer). I might be wrong, and it's new vehicles all around.

Edited by tater

8 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I bet they will not. It was designed to be reused after landing on land. It was when they switched to ocean landings that they cancelled any human re-use. I fail to see why that would be different if the humans are tourists.

Yet they tried testing one that was recovered from an ocean landing (the one that exploded). That probably means they are at least planning to reuse them. Besides, Dragon 1 gets reused. It's not like they switched materials and D2 is now made out of cotton candy and partially melts in water.

Edited by Wjolcz

25 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

Yet they tried testing one that was recovered from an ocean landing (the one that exploded). That probably means they are at least planning to reuse them. Besides, Dragon 1 gets reused. It's not like they switched materials and D2 is now made out of cotton candy and partially melts in water.

I don't understand the resistance to this. It was very clear. They said they were going to reuse the capsules for crew. Then they abandoned the propulsive landing in favor of parachuting into the ocean and announced that they would now only reuse the capsules on uncrewed missions. The cause and effect seems obvious there.

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

I don't understand the resistance to this. It was very clear. They said they were going to reuse the capsules for crew. Then they abandoned the propulsive landing in favor of parachuting into the ocean and announced that they would now only reuse the capsules on uncrewed missions. The cause and effect seems obvious there.

I misunderstood then. Thought we were talking about reuse in general.

I'm going to spam this topic a bit...

Here are some of the shots I've taken this morning. I was standing about 4 km/2.5 mi NNW of the SLC-39A, and some mist was present all morning long.

DSC03212

Looking closer, it seems like only one engine lighted-up and earlier than others.

DSC03212a

DSC03214a

Those pictures are heavily cropped, and I had to lower their white balance to get some contrast, but I thought some of you will be interested.

Bonus shot, B1048.4 fairing emerging from the noise suppression system's cloud.

DSC03217

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Presumably a booster length increase means they found some extra thrust from Raptor?

Or found a way to make the tanks lighter than previously thought.

Disregard.

Extra thrust from Raptor sounds plausible.
Can also mean a longer interstage.

Edited by sh1pman