SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Calling it now: SN9 will make the second attempt at the 20km bellyflop after SN8 pancakes on the landing pad

SN9 will run out of hydraulic fluid or something and enter an uncontrolled spin. SN10 will be called V1.0 and land upright but sustain damage on touchdown.

Just now, Entropian said:

Wait, the next hop will be the 20km bellyflop?

Musk said the other day they will hop SN6 (maybe repair and do SN5 again, too) a few times to work out the kinks of launching/operations. SN8 is the higher alt version (SN7.1 is a test tank).

EfY8LBVWsAE6cj2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

SN8 above is based on aerial shots of the fins.

15 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Wait, the next hop will be the 20km bellyflop?

No, they plan to do a few more 150m hops with SN5 and SN6 first, but after that SN8 is meant to do a 20km flight.

SN8 *may* also do a 2km hop before it flies 20km, but we're not sure yet. It may be that they get enough data from multiple 150m hops that they can go straight to attempting a bellyflop.

Edit: oops, noticed that @tater beat me to it :/

Edited by RealKerbal3x

18 minutes ago, derega16 said:

V2.0 will demonstrated E2E with a flight to london....

I've always thought they should do a long-duration test run to Antarctica. Fly there, land the Starship, mine ice for a few months to refuel, and fly home.

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I've always thought they should do a long-duration test run to Antarctica. Fly there, land the Starship, mine ice for a few months to refuel, and fly home.

Unfortunately, I think that would be in violation of the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty. Plus, Antarctica is a pretty bad Mars simulator. About the only thing the two locations have in common is air temperature (some of the time) and Antarctica poses some challenges which are completely orthogonal to what one would encounter on Mars.

Just now, IncongruousGoat said:

Unfortunately, I think that would be in violation of the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty. Plus, Antarctica is a pretty bad Mars simulator. About the only thing the two locations have in common is air temperature (some of the time) and Antarctica poses some challenges which are completely orthogonal to what one would encounter on Mars.

Damn. You know what they should do, they should send one to Mars. Mars is pretty Mars-like.

7 minutes ago, tater said:

Efj_hQ4WoAEczQZ?format=jpg&name=small

It's like one of those early nineties real-time strategy games where all sorts of vehicles magically spawn from a too-small building.

"Need more Vespene gas... methane."