Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

54 minutes ago, DDE said:

Worst-case scenario would probably involve cutting away the majority of Kazakhstan's 20% Russian population into a "South Siberia"

Worst-case for who?

Also, I don’t like the term “cutting away”. The term I’d use is “helping to organise a democratic referendum about the future of several territories during political instability”. 

I have run out of reactions for the day :( Apparently not actually! Thanks for the info.

Not necessarily pertaining to the real life situation, but in a nightmare scenario where Baikonur is "lost" somehow, would Vostochny work for ISS missions?

Edited by SunlitZelkova
Actually was able to like

9 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Not necessarily pertaining to the real life situation, but in a nightmare scenario where Baikonur is "lost" somehow, would Vostochny work for ISS missions?

Vostochny is a bit too far north for ISS missions.

So I suppose the overview effect is basically like being a tourist in a country for a few days and deciding you want to live there, only for hard reality to slap one in the face and make them go back to being sensible (or in the case of space, like an average human).

I was watching videos from the Internet about the riot in Kazakhstan and I noticed something particularly familiar: at certain distance in the crowd there always someone wearing a Red Jacket. And distance between each guy in the Red Jacket is approximately the same.  All I can say is that some 'organization' and people have never been innovative in their script of "making something happen"

In the end I hope everything can early pacification and return to peace.

Edited by steve9728

8 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

So I suppose the overview effect is basically like being a tourist in a country for a few days and deciding you want to live there, only for hard reality to slap one in the face and make them go back to being sensible (or in the case of space, like an average human).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

@steve9728, I'm basically done trying to dig into this, there's too much opinion swirling around and some critical facts are missing or unconfirmed (for one thing, Where in the World is Nursultan Nazarbayev?) Should let the dust settle for a few weeks.

One thing I wanted to note that, for a classic color revolution, it lacked the slickness, the branding (you know, the specific color that earns the phenomenon its name), a presentable picture of noble and peaceful freedom fighters standing opposite a row of faceless riot police. Instead it almost immediately erupted into something more akin to the KwaZulu riots last year - the same kind of "decentralized leadership", a political position boiling down to rage against The Man, and chaotic property destruction.

Anyway, Baikonur's beginning to take measures, introducing a nighttime curfew and lockdown, banning sales of liquor, and raising neighborhood watch units to bolster patrols for the durat6 of the national state of emergency.

https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/13369453

Edited by DDE

51 minutes ago, DDE said:

@steve9728, I'm basically done trying to dig into this, there's too much opinion swirling around and some critical facts are missing or unconfirmed (for one thing, Where in the World is Nursultan Nazarbayev?) Should let the dust settle for a few weeks.

One thing I wanted to note that, for a classic color revolution, it lacked the slickness, the branding (you know, the specific color that earns the phenomenon its name), a presentable picture of noble and peaceful freedom fighters standing opposite a row of faceless riot police. Instead it almost immediately erupted into something more akin to the KwaZulu riots last year - the same kind of "decentralized leadership", a political position boiling down to rage against The Man, and chaotic property destruction.

Anyway, Baikonur's beginning to take measures, introducing a nighttime curfew and lockdown, banning sales of liquor, and raising neighborhood watch units to bolster patrols for the durat6 of the national state of emergency.

https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/13369453

Yeah, it's too werid: the 'smell' is familiar, but the change from peace to violence was too quick.

Banning liquor is a good idea:D

3 hours ago, DDE said:

https://www-rbc-ru.translate.goog/politics/07/01/2022/61d83d9f9a7947d1ef0970b6?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru

More than 3-in-1 is not allowed in Baikonur.

As the liquor sales are prohibited, actually even 3 is not required.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:13 AM, SunlitZelkova said:

people who neglect them?

There's an odd sense - (at least in the US, which likely extends universally) - of who 'owns' the asset within the government that turns out to be controlling.  The owning agency has responsibility for the asset.  Then it has to prioritize what to do with the little bit of funding they get.  Sometimes unused assets just get mothballed, regardless of the historicity of the object.  I suspect that Buran is a military asset.  One that's not being used, and there is no other agency of government stepping up willing to spend their budget on not only preserving history but building and maintaining a museum for it.

My own experience with this occurred in a much more terrestrial arena.

Fort Knox.  Once the "Home of Armor".  Legendary place for military guys - especially Tankers to visit.  It's where we all went to school.

They had a really good "Armor Museum" where you could see a lot of restored and historical tanks.

Then, the Army, in its infinite wisdom, decided to move the Armor Branch to one of the Army's premier Infantry bases: Ft. Benning, GA.

All the cool, historical tanks did not belong to the museum.  They were on loan from the Armor Branch - and when the branch moved, so too did the tanks.  So now the Museum at Ft. Knox is a weird, sad ode to ROTC.

9 hours ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

Burya is owned privately, pending litigation, by a man willing to sell the orbiter back to Russia for the skull of the last Kazakh Khan.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/10/kazakh-entrepreneur-seeks-to-trade-soviet-shuttle-for-historic-skull/?amp=1

Putin already promised said head to Nazarbayev last year.

https://www.mk.ru/social/2021/09/10/cherep-za-buran-kto-takoy-kenesary-khan.html

Combine that with the rather hairy topic of this being clear Kazakh nationalist pandering - a political line with an unclear future given the rather drastic shift in Kazakhstan's international standing - and we might see someone cutting the knot, so to speak.