[KSP 1.5.*] Outer Planets Mod[2.2.1] [25 April 2018]

Galileo

2 hours ago, GalacticGhidorah said:

I know you said it will not work with KSP 1.4, but is there a chance it will be updated to work with KSP 1.4?

Wait for 1.4.1. At least a few of us modders are not going to update for a game release with such a short life (10 days).

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Is there anyway I can help with getting this mod 1.4.1 ready? I'm a coding student at Uni, and It's one of only a handful of mods that I use; (the others being RoverDude's USI). My system feels so empty now. I'm happy to do work! Tell me what to do boss!

1 hour ago, Thylacinus said:

Is there anyway I can help with getting this mod 1.4.1 ready? I'm a coding student at Uni, and It's one of only a handful of mods that I use; (the others being RoverDude's USI). My system feels so empty now. I'm happy to do work! Tell me what to do boss!

Nope, but thanks for the offer! This mod is as ready as it can be, but Kopernicus is version locked. Any and all planet packs depend on it so we are on the schedule of its developer. An update for it is probably a few days away at least. 

On 14/03/2018 at 5:12 PM, Galileo said:

Nope, but thanks for the offer! This mod is as ready as it can be, but Kopernicus is version locked. Any and all planet packs depend on it so we are on the schedule of its developer. An update for it is probably a few days away at least. 

Many thanks for the update, and for your continuing efforts! I've been away for a little while - 1.4 happened without me knowing - but OPM is key to a number of Voyager-style missions I've got going on.

Think I'll leave things be until Kopernicus is updated, (presumably for 1.4.1)

Just now, Frannington said:

Many thanks for the update, and for your continuing efforts! I've been away for a little while - 1.4 happened without me knowing - but OPM is key to a number of Voyager-style missions I've got going on.

Think I'll leave things be until Kopernicus is updated, (presumably for 1.4.1)

17 minutes ago, X Sonic Pro X said:

Darn, gonna be hard to wait 'till 1.4.1 is out. But, it'll be worth it. :D

It will be coming soon.

1 minute ago, dlrk said:

I'm on 1.3.1 , and the CustomBarnKit DSN range extension doesn't seem to work/do anything.

Bring it up with the custom barn kit dev? I only supply a cfg, that worked last I checked 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

@flekota, all planet packs are on hold waiting for Kopernicus to update.  Be patient.

I assumed he meant because it isn't going to be updated for 1.4 - the author and others implied they are skipping to 1.4.1, and Kopernicus specifically is skipping to 1.4.1.

4 hours ago, Derb said:

I assumed he meant because it isn't going to be updated for 1.4 - the author and others implied they are skipping to 1.4.1, and Kopernicus specifically is skipping to 1.4.1.

I assumed he was talking about 1.4.x.

It's all up to Kopernicus.  Since it's Kopernicus' practice to version lock, no planet pack will work with 1.4 unless there's a version 1.4.0-1 Kopernicus.  And since 1.4.1 has been out for nearly two weeks, it would be pretty pointless to do that.

Hey :)

First of all, thanks a lot for supporting this mod. Never used it myself, but I can imagine what it takes to maintain someone's mod, where there are perhaps your own that need love and work :P

Registered only to ask a question: have you perhaps heard of anyone planning to configure OPM to work with Principia?

If not, could you perhaps post orbital data and physical characteristics of the planets and moons introduced? Maybe sometime in the future I will try to figure out how to start the expanded Kerbol system so that no celestials collide or get flung out of their systems with Principia :)

I am talking about parameters like mass and radius for each body, and their orbital parameters... (not sure about those, haven't studied that far yet)

Just figured these are to be found in the mod's files; would that be correct? It should be all in the corresponding Kopernicus configs..

well, in any case, an applause from me for your work :)

4 hours ago, Adouge said:

If not, could you perhaps post orbital data and physical characteristics of the planets and moons introduced? Maybe sometime in the future I will try to figure out how to start the expanded Kerbol system so that no celestials collide or get flung out of their systems with Principia :)

I am talking about parameters like mass and radius for each body, and their orbital parameters... (not sure about those, haven't studied that far yet)

Just figured these are to be found in the mod's files; would that be correct? It should be all in the corresponding Kopernicus configs.

You can get all the information from the .cfg files.  Just go into the OPM/KopernicusConfigs folder and find the planet(s) you are interested in.  The information you want is in the "Properties" and "Orbit" nodes.  For example, below is the data for Sarnus (abridged):

Properties
        {
	    displayName = #LOC_OPM_Sarnus_displayName
            description = #LOC_OPM_Planets_Sarnus_description
	    radius = 5300000
            geeASL = 0.298
	    rotates = true			
	    rotationPeriod = 28500
            tidallyLocked = false
            initialRotation = 0
            isHomeWorld = false
        }
        Orbit
        {
            referenceBody = Sun
            color = 0.870588,0.721569,0.529412,1
            inclination = 2.02
            eccentricity = 0.0534
            semiMajorAxis = 125798522368
            longitudeOfAscendingNode = 184
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
            meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 2.88114666938782
            epoch = 359.279999999964
        }

In this case the planet's gravitational parameter or mass is not given.  These are computed from radius and geeASL as follows:

gravParameter = 9.80665 * geeASL * radius^2

mass = gravParameter / 6.67408E-11

I realise this is highly not recommended.

However as a status report...
Testing using KSP v1.4.2 and the just now released Kopernicus v1.4.2-1, OPM_Galileo v1.2.5 seems to be working fine. Pood's OPM-VO v0.3.5 also works as long as scatterer is not installed. Installing scatterer kills off the outer planets clouds. I think this may have been already known in KSP 1.3.1.

9 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

I realise this is highly not recommended.

However as a status report...
Testing using KSP v1.4.2 and the just now released Kopernicus v1.4.2-1, OPM_Galileo v1.2.5 seems to be working fine. Pood's OPM-VO v0.3.5 also works as long as scatterer is not installed. Installing scatterer kills off the outer planets clouds. I think this may have been already known in KSP 1.3.1.

Also works fine for me with the newest Kopernicus update. I'm only using parts packs besides OPM so I don't know about visual mods compatibility though.

Any chance we're gonna get Polta and Wal biomes fixed?

They're all colored #000000 in their configs.

I'm trying an approximate color mapping from the colors in the dds files. Unfortunately, not knowing which biome is which, I'm looking forward to what it's gonna do ingame!

Oh and there's an extra biome on Wal that doesn't have any name or definition. Called it "Seventh Region" for now.

These were issues that were carried through from Outer Planets Mod 2.1 but were unfortunately never picked up on. I'll sort it out over the next day to two.

EDIT: @ioresult check out the latest commit here: https://github.com/Galileo88/OPM_Galileo/commit/ab83736ebfbf119891b67a7c2a573451f528ae0f. This has been resolved and will be fixed in the next release. In the time being, you could download those changed files and replace the existing ones in your install.

EDITEDIT: Also just starting fixing all of the OPM Science Definitions, thought it was going to take me a few hours... but after a little investigating the localization file and science defs files are quite borked. It'll be a bit. :D 

Edited by Poodmund

Thanks @Poodmund, biomes look good! My own fix trial had some biomes overlapping, missing or set in the fuzzy boundaries between two of them, all in all about 90% functional. Now it's 100%. Good!

Now for fixing Priax's near space altitude fully 3 kilometres below the deepest crater and we're all set! (It's currently set at 5km height and the deepest crater bottom is at ~8200m altitude.) Maybe use a VertexHeightOffset to fix the zero level altitude? 

PS: If you look at my posting history, you'll see that I'm systematically going through every OPM moon and planet one by one, using scansat, dmagic and SEP for science. I don't read all of them and as long as they get me science (which I'm converting into funds to buy USI warp engines) I'm good. I nevertheless still noticed that some scientific experiments think I'm on Bop or Moho. I see what you mean by borked!

Once I've sorted out the biomes I'll look at altitude fixes. I should have something that will sort that out quite well. I'll create an issue about it so I don't forget. Thanks for the heads up. :D 

EDIT: Also, with regards to the biome fuzziness at the boundaries, that is unfortunately an inherent problem with DXT1 compression. I have the fixed .psd files for Polta and Wal but I probably should do a while biome map pass to fix all the biome maps to eliminate this and convert them to indexed .png format.

Edited by Poodmund