Shower thoughts

p1t1o

In the todays world of digital money, shenanigans involving banking are surprizingly rare, but I remember a story about a banking system admin (or something similar) who made a script that transfered all the money from all the bank customers to his own debit account just before closing time and return it in the morning. Apparently, the miniscule passive interest for funds in your account gets calculated at midnight, so he collected all the interest from all the customers. Since it's such a small amount for each customer, that usually dissapears in the noise, it went unnoticed for a while.

He got caught when one morning the main server did not boot up properly and his script didn't return the money. The bank started getting confused calls from the customers and only then found out what happened.

Guys may have gotten away with stuff like that in the early days of digital banking, but not these days. I've been employed by several companies that were large enough or specifically positioned to fall under the purview of government financial regulation (Sarbanes-Oxley, BSA, RICO, etc.). It's draconian. And, amusingly, aimed mostly at the "little people" in companies who are completely incapable of carrying out the scale of corporate malfeasance that precipitated these sorts of laws in the first place.

I found that "Dumb Smart Baddies" from some rational-ish thinking from the environmental condition around me, in Indonesia, after watching a lot of "Indosiar" Dramas (Literally Dramas).

13 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Well, I was having a good evening.... now you burst that bubble.   :(

Why? You'd never heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect before? It's what makes the world go 'round, my friend.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell

27 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Why? You'd never heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect before? It's what makes the world go 'round, my friend.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell

lolol

Thanks for the link, I thought yall were talking about those replicant detector machines from BladeRunner! :D

8 hours ago, lapis said:

In the matrix , when an agent replaces someone what happens to that person?

6 hours ago, Shpaget said:

They are fed through the feeding tubes.

Yes, but they are already.  So when the agent takes over the person, does their consciousness just black out?  Where do they go mentally?  Are they possessed, and go along for the ride?  

Also, what happens to their body when they die?   If the bodies produce the most energy while alive, doesn't it behoove the machines to keep everybody alive?   But that would cause the matrix to fail as people don't die aside from old age.  So if a young viable body dies in the matrix, what do they do with it?  Reload it into a new consciousness in the matrix?  Give it a whole new back story?

53 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

So when the agent takes over the person, does their consciousness just black out?  Where do they go mentally?

You know those moments during the day when you just kind of space out?  Or you walk into a room and completely forget why you were going there?

37 minutes ago, razark said:

Or you walk into a room and completely forget why you were going there?

And the other people in the room wonder why you morphed into somebody in a suit, pulled a gun and ran out of the room.   And you wake up in a cement truck, on it's side, stuck in a phone booth. 

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

And the other people in the room wonder why you morphed into somebody in a suit, pulled a gun and ran out of the room.   And you wake up in a cement truck, on it's side, stuck in a phone booth. 

Gargamel, are you alright?

42 minutes ago, razark said:

Or you walk into a room and completely forget why you were going there?

It's not so bad as it appears - unless that room in question is a Toilet. Way worst if it's an airplane toilet. :sticktongue:

7 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Well, the entire reality is simulated.  Why not replace everyone's memories with fake ones?  Why are they all sharing a reality in the first place?

There's a lot in the movie that just doesn't make sense to me.  (Why does the matrix allow incoming connections?  Have these machines never heard of a firewall?)

1 minute ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If there was daylight at night and darkness in the day, would we all still sleep during the night (in the daylight)?

How do you know that's not the way it is now?

Edited by razark

4 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If there was daylight at night and darkness in the day, would we all still sleep during the night (in the daylight)?

No. The circadian rhythm would just get reset when there's daylight and it would all come back to normal.

@The_Cat_In_Space stop reading this thread until you've seen the movie.   There are too many spoilers, and it will ruin the experience for you.  On my list of things I wish I could do again for the first time, seeing the Matrix again without knowing anything about it is on it (I saw it opening weekend in the theaters). 

3 minutes ago, razark said:

There's a lot in the movie that just doesn't make sense to me.  (Why does the matrix allow incoming connections?  Have these machines never heard of a firewall?) 

Shush you!   Those are fridge moments.    Plot holes that you only realize exist after the movie is over and you've gotten up and gone to the fridge to grab a drink.  Plus, back in '99, a lot of what are now common 'net security methods weren't very common knowledge, so those type of plot holes get missed till much later. 

6 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

That's a legit question for one of the S&S question threads.   There's a ton of research on this.