The Dessert Derby 2018

On 9/13/2018 at 1:53 PM, Stunkfish said:

Can I get a rating for only the ground part? (kind of like....begging....hrhr)

Yeah, sure.

It is in the rules, you can participate in the racepart without timing your flight.

I'll put you up on the scoreboard. &)

I'll update the rest tomorrow.

Edited by Triop

9 hours ago, l0kki said:

Here are my times and pictures for the challenge

Flying: 00:14:58

Race:  00:21:51

Total: 00:36:29

Pics of the times https://imgur.com/a/FYpvgNM 

Pics of the full journey https://imgur.com/a/KD4fwqF

That's great for a starter!

@Triop, just a suggestion. Why not ping people on the leaderboards.... after all, it gives them fame...

I think it's finally time to post my run. I know i could do more mods and drive/fly better to get a better time, but i just don't have the time for that as there are too many things to do.

So here is my official run. Flight has been recorded in screenshots (would be pretty boring to watch), but the drive is recorded in video form.

Flight

Spoiler

14bli6R.png

6mIIlDc.png

GYPARR8.png

d5nvgh6.png

Zt7gFFI.png

I had to do a couple quicksaves, the first one was just before i landed to turn my aircraft from paper-mashe to normal again (i believe DCK is responsible), and the second one was of-course at the start of the driving segment, just in case i got eaten by Kerbin again (happened to me about 5 times across all the drives with this and the racing truck).

Drive

My antenna ripped itself off, and i think my wheels buckled slightly during the flight (they felt a little weird). Most major bit of damage on that run (minus the obvious missing spoiler), was the main RTG's, witch i lost during the last training run as-well.

And yes, that was the corpse of this very vehicle (from my last training run...the one i took a pick of) was littered inside Kerbin. The cargo-plane exploded in the back ground as-well. Somehow the terrain and/or placement of vehicles in the desert (once you go a certain way away) changes causing stuff to go slightly inside the terrain. I actually lost one of my runs to me switching accidentally to one of the bits of vehicle underground instead of my intact vehicle inside the cargo-bay...once i switched back, the plane was half underground...and you can guess what happened next.

I have a bit of a feeling that physics range extender and terrain LOD changes are the issue here, but it's hard to say.

Total drive/flight time:

Flight: 26:28

Drive: 03:33-17:35 so 14:02 (clock reset when i decoupled the rover)

Total: 40:30

Perhaps not that great of a time, but im happy i made it. I may have another try at some point, but it's most likely going to be just the drive segment.

Today I ran a test of the Rocket Racer mk2. I've made significant changes since the last test, including replacing the entire fuselage.

Spoiler

j9uCm9Q.png

The starting line at + 2 minutes.

JU3TLQ5.png

Passing the first test article

L0XO7Tq.png

Passing the second test article

9yzQ4Vh.png

Coming in to the finish line

cCfqhPe.png

Stopped at the finish line

TqJCOkB.png

This time I actually finished the course with a time of 6:25, so I think the car, with some symmetry fixes to the seperatrons, is ready for the real run. Just need to find a way to get the 41 ton beast to the start line.

Edited by roboslacker

13 hours ago, l0kki said:

Whats with the sudden pickle rick??

There was an advertise with Pickle Rick above your imgur photo.

Then I looked at your car and it kinda resembles a pickle. :lol:

I just thought that was funny. :cool:

@kapteenipirk Nice !

UPDATED SCOREBOARD

Edited by Triop

52 minutes ago, Triop said:

There was an advertise with Pickle Rick above your imgur photo.

Then I looked at your car and it kinda resembles a pickle. :lol:

I just thought that was funny. :cool:

äääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääääää

54 minutes ago, Hojoz said:

Also how do you do that fancy embedding of screenshots thing?

Just copy and paste the image URL (the one that ends in .jpg or .png) here, and it will be automatically embedded.

Edited by vyznev

On 9/16/2018 at 6:29 PM, Triop said:

What is pinging ?

Put a "@" before there post.

Like this : @Triop

On 9/17/2018 at 6:02 AM, kapteenipirk said:

Drive

Night time is the worst time to do that. Using RTGs is much heavier than solar panels and RTGs generate less. But since you have Junos that's not a problem. Also daytime has much better visibility.(especially in map mode)

Well, after far too many tries, I finally finished the run.

Spoiler

ILHrltt.png

I decided that the best way to transport the Rocket Racer was in a rocket.

lCkRuNr.png

After finagling around with the trajectory, I got the entry capsule to impact in just about the right spot.

ccd1Sex.png

And I mean impact. So, I did the same thing again, but with a heatshield in front of the re-entry capsule.

8EpNAeS.png

yFmbmG2.png

pkn2yjw.png

Through trial and error, I discovered that if the Rocket Racer touched down before separating from the parachutes, it would always land on the top. So, it just fell the last few hundred meters. After that, it was a calm 5 km drive to the start line. As the first pair of drop tanks had gone missing at some point in the process, I sent a truck from the desert airfield to refuel it.

897jEB4.png

It's such a cute little thing.

iH0sxdU.png

After finagling with both vehicles, I finally got a dock, and refueled the Rocket Racer. After this, things got really boring, with run after run ending scattered across the dunes. But after about 12 runs, I finally made it.

NlotHPO.png

start

lu7vncS.png

passing the first wreck

1sKKGZ2.png

passing the second wreck

Ta78wRP.png

Coming in to the finish

YxugrZI.png

Getting out

wEABrfp.png

Sprinting the last hundred meters or so.

qSbxecb.png

Finish.

So, flight + refueling was 48 minutes, the drive alone was 6:30, and the drive plus the sprint was 8:12.

Edited by roboslacker

34 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

Well, after far too many tries, I finally finished the run.

Hide contents

Ta78wRP.png

So, flight + refueling was 48 minutes, the drive alone was 6:30, and the drive plus the sprint was 8:12.

I love the suicide sprint at the ending!  It's like you channeled "Thelma and Louise" here.  I'd love to have seen a video.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.