[1.7.x] MOARdVPlus - advanced IVAs for MAS (v1.0, 26 Jan 2019)

MOARdV

Have you gotten bored with stock IVAs?  Are modded IVAs more your style?  Do you want to see some more advanced features that MAS allows?  Well, look at this:

ER5xCo.jpg

MOARdVPlus demonstrates the capabilities of MOARdV's Avionics Systems, giving players a chance to play with an IVA that has MOAR switches, buttons, dials, and whatnot.  And hopefully to inspire other IVA creators into diving into the capabilities of MAS.

The initial release includes a re-imagining of the FASA Apollo command module, updated to be drop-in compatible with the Bluedog Design Bureau Kane / Sarnus launch stack.  The FASA Apollo CM, heat shield, parachutes, and parachute covers are included in MOARdVPlus - use BDB parts for the rest! Two IVAs are included in v1.0.0: the RA-01 variant (pictured above) is a fairly complete retro-style IVA.  The GA-02 is an incomplete Glass Cockpit version of the Apollo (still under development - use at your own risk - contents will change).

DOCUMENTATION: The Wiki on GitHub includes an operator manual for the RA-01.  I suggest you at least skim through it.  Or just dive in and start mashing buttons, if that's more to your taste. :)

DOWNLOAD: GitHub

PREREQUISITES: All of the MAS prerequisites are required to fly MOARdVPlus IVAs.  (MAS, ASET Props, ASET Avionics, and Module Manager - not included).

LICENSE: MOARdVPlus IVA and prop configs are licensed CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0.  The FASA Apollo was released to RO under CC-BY-SA.

Edited by MOARdV
Mark it 1.7.x in the title

8 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Are the IVA variants using the stock switcher, or is it splitting off two "different" pods?

Also wondering about this IVA switching...

I have a couple projects that I'm working on slowly, that I have been researching how best to do IVA switching for...

@MOARdV
Also want to say, I am very happy to see you've taken the next step to promote MAS IVAs, as well as the increased pace of MAS updates itself...

I hope this adds moar steam to the MAS HypeTrain, and gets moar IVA developers on-board to update their older RPM-based IVAs, or to develop all new MAS-based ones.

As ALWAYS,
THANK YOU for your continued time and effort thats made anyone who enjoys IVAs, even only a little bit, experience KSP on a much higher level.

Edited by Stone Blue

18 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Are the IVA variants using the stock switcher, or is it splitting off two "different" pods?

Two different pods, regrettably.  (well, 1 pod + 1 MM patch to create / edit the second pod).  If there's a way to switch IVAs in stock, I'm not aware of it.  Which doesn't actually say much - I haven't been keeping up too much with stock KSP for a while. :/

7 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Two different pods, regrettably.  (well, 1 pod + 1 MM patch to create / edit the second pod).  If there's a way to switch IVAs in stock, I'm not aware of it.  Which doesn't actually say much - I haven't been keeping up too much with stock KSP for a while. :/

Well, from what @theonegalen has told me, @Electrocutor has some kind of tool that allows IVA switching.. I havent fully looked into how it works yet tho..
I know you arent keen on the idea of having dependencies for any of your mods tho,,, quite understandably :P

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

@Electrocutor's stock variant switcher extension plugin (probably not the exact name) has the capability to switch IVAs.

I'm back into KSP after a year's hiatus. One of the things I really prefer are the better IVA's for missions. I really prefer to run most if not all from the IVA. 

I really like that the new MAS system will show the Action Groups on the toggle switches.

For example, in the VAB under the description area...I type in...
AG1 = RW (Reaction Wheels)

I can toggle those off in the VAB and then not have the Command pod RW's wobbling the rocket. ANd it's easy enough when I get close to orbit to engage those and not wonder what I set that control to. 

Nice little detail. 

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, nasaholic said:

Any plans for Mercury/Gemini/Lunar lander/etc IVA replacements in the future? BDB is awesome but their IVA is UGH :(

The Mk1 stock command pod already has a MAS Mercury-ish IVA.  I have not looked at the BDB Mercury IVA to see how its panels are set up, but the Gemini IVA model is really unappealing.  FASA has a much nicer model to work with, but the panels are set too far in front of the crew positions, and the model can't be rescaled to fit BDB's Gemini pod.

I'm lucky if I can use Blender to create a cube (to say nothing of exporting to Unity, and then getting it into KSP), so I am the wrong person to create a new IVA model for either the BDB Mercury or Gemini.  Which is a pity, because Gemini is still my favorite of the three.

So, regrettably, there's no plans for replacing them.  If I had a good IVA model to start with, that'd be a different story.

18 hours ago, dylsh said:

This picture on the OP is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen

Thank you!  It's not quite perfect, but I am really happy with how it turned out, and (once you get the hang of it) it's fun to fly, too.

The level of detail is phenomenal. Even lights for the number of engines burning. I have always been tempted to teach myself how to make these IVA’s. But I never have the time. And it’s hugely intimidating, as I don’t have any knowledge of programming. Not to mention that HOPEFULLY KSP2 has better IVA’s than its predecessor. So with that hope.. there is further lack of motivation to learn now. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have problem since ASET consolidated Props pack upgraded to version 2.0.5.

IVA with ASET 2.0.6:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

The same screenshot with ASET props 2.0.4:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Strange thing is, that all other IVAs using this apollo style avionics are OK. Only in this command pod it happened.

Can somebody confirm the same issue or it's only madness of my mod setup?

20 hours ago, JeromeHeretic said:

Strange thing is, that all other IVAs using this apollo style avionics are OK. Only in this command pod it happened.

Can somebody confirm the same issue or it's only madness of my mod setup?

There were some performance optimizations in the props for ASET Consolidated 2.0.5.  I've pinged them to see if they might know off-hand about it.

20 hours ago, JeromeHeretic said:

I have problem since ASET consolidated Props pack upgraded to version 2.0.5.

IVA with ASET 2.0.6:

Please include log files with bug reports.  But I have a hunch about what's going on here...Try renaming JSI/RasterPropMonitor/PropBatching.cfg to something that doesn't end in cfg to disable it and see if the problem goes away.

Just now, JeromeHeretic said:

So what's your recommendation? Should i disable PropBatching.cfg and forget, or will you do some fix?

PropBatching is purely a performance improvement.  Nothing depends on it to work correctly, so you can remove it but performance will be worse.

I'll eventually get these fixed but I don't have an ETA right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.