Coronavirus

Xd the great

32 minutes ago, luizsilveira said:

So even people with other conditions and problems will end up dying because ICU is overflowing with Corona patients. 

We know people in Bergamo (they are elderly), and my wife heard from them via email, and it's pretty rough.

I think here in NM we are in a similar or worse situation from an ICU standpoint just because we are so rural. The total number of ICU beds in NM is 344, and typically they are mostly full during flu season already.

A small increase in cases would result in ICUs overflowing, with the requisite triage starting immediately (take cases who have a chance, don;t take the ones who don't, then eventually take the one who will more likely vs less likely surivive (or all things being equal are younger).

This can happen any year at a given hospital, really.

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

Sure, it's an uncontrolled experiment

Oh, the differences in national responses provide a lot of data for comparisons.

7 minutes ago, DDE said:

Oh, the differences in national responses provide a lot of data for comparisons.

The real interesting data will be large scale, random serologic testing. Then we will see who has already had it.

That's the trouble with testing for viral load, you have to keep testing. Testing negative last week doesn't mean you don't have it NOW.

(Looking at the grass, even both at once. It's cold there.)

Usually, how often do the high-ranking officials report that they've gottten a seasonal flu, and the churches change their habits for same reason?

Edited by kerbiloid

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Social Distancing!

My funny addition for today.

WB1k2GU.jpg

Ex-Soviet post-apocalyptica was always a safer bet.

Spoiler

DY05QPoW0AEw_pj.jpg:large

Edited by DDE
Big image is bigly annoying

It's interesting how bluntly low-budget fake news works sometimes.

On February 1, a Kazakh news outlet, citing Xinhua, claimed the Chinese dug up eight biohazard containers buried in the backyard of the US consulate in Wuhan.

https://panorama.pub/31016-v-evakuirovannom-genkonsulstve-ssha-v-uhane.html

One problem: it says "satire" right on their emblem at the top of the page, and then directly under the text.

Never mind, find a politologist to cite this as fact, and you've got a headline.

https://riafan.ru/1259992-markov-rasskazal-o-novykh-dokazatelstvakh-amerikanskogo-proiskhozhdeniya-koronavirusa

I have several accusations to make. One, I've kept an eye on Panorama for the last few months. Much of their content is, frankly, not terribly funny (e.g. "German authorities to replace handshakes with Roman salute due to coronavirus", "German troops enter Poland to ensure order during quarantine", and this is one day apart), and unless there's a very direct reference right in the title, it's insufficiently outrageous. Consider their previous COVID satire:

Chinese scientists find signature of US-based 'Ravenlab' biolaboratory in coronavirus's genome

https://panorama.pub/31130-kitajskie-uchenye-nashli.html

Sadly, I'm afraid most people wouldn't detect this as satire.

And the second accusation is that of course this is being carried by RIA FAN citing Politexpert. THAT's how they (t)roll.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.rbc.ru/magazine/2017/04/58d106b09a794710fa8934ac&usg=ALkJrhhI3SDatxRhEHm2mRGxreEMocKZWg

And, for good measure, looks like the Chinese Maria Zakharova - it's nice to see I'm not alone in this -

is relentless.

Went through the link. Pretty much the same drill as the Russian story described earlier - leaked from Ft Detrick, dismissed as vaping-induced or the flu, introduced via the Military Games. They cite several mystery deaths of Japanese citizens in Hawaii in late 2019 retroactively attributed to COVID, and several US personnel being hospitalized due to respiratory illness at the Military Games. Their sources boil down to two TV reports, one from Japan and one from Taiwan, as retold by several layers of Chinese media. And they finish with blaming every other disease outbreak in China in the last two years on the US trade war, naturally.

The article also contains mindnumblingly stupid claims that, since COVID in the US shows an even distribution of genotypes whereas it is skewed in China and everywhere else (even though, as their own map shows, it's not), it must have necessarily originated from a handful of US infectees.

"Nuuuuuuuh. Of course this pandemic was not the fault of our citizens and their perfectly understandable hankering for healthy, traditional dishes made from meat of several species of wild animals. It is foreigners fault! As always!"

This kind of people is everywhere. [Snip]

Edited by James Kerman
redacted by a moderator

From today, in Croatia everything non essential is closed. The only businesses that remain open are food stores, pharmacies and gas stations. Public transportation still works, but even at 9 AM when you'd still expect trams to be packed full there were just a handful of people inside. It's uncanny. Not even during summer when everybody is on vacation is the city this empty.

We came to work today, but boss said go home, so we did some preparation, cleaned the place up a bit and went home. I'm not sure how long this will last, but better safe than sorry, I suppose. I do have some work I can do from home and delegated some tasks to other guys, but in the next few days I think I'll finally be able to catch up on some reading.

A loose clot causes COVID-positive old woman with a page's worth of old people diseases to die in quarantine in Moscow.

https://ria.ru/20200319/1568838480.html

Hair-splitting ensues.

23 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Public transportation still works, but even at 9 AM when you'd still expect trams to be packed

Heh, fun story: in the first few weeks of COVID panic, I thought the tram was preferable to the subway.

Then fate conspired to dismantle the tram tracks right in front of our office.

23 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

I do have some work I can do from home and delegated some tasks to other guys, but in the next few days I think I'll finally be able to catch up on some reading.

The whole team is out of office since Tuesday; on Wednesday the office was shut down entirely. And yet the workload seems a lot heavier.

Edited by DDE
A fecal typo

16 minutes ago, DDE said:

A loose clot causes COVID-positive old woman with a page's worth of old people diseases to die in quarantine in Moscow.

https://ria.ru/20200319/1568838480.html

Hair-splitting ensues.

Yeah, that doesn't count as a death from COVID. Other diseases got her first.

And what an impressive list of diseases she had! Several heart diseases, diabetes, arterial thrombosis, and finally, a plague cherry on top, COVID19. She had no chance.

Edited by sh1pman

Oh, look, a more legit UN virologist!
Dmitry's missing the fun part near the bottom of his excerpt, though:

"We arrived with our test systems, and we say: let us test them. Instead, we are told: "We will not let you into the laboratory, give us your systems." They take them, went to their laboratory, a few hours later they came and they said they work. We'll have to hold them at their word. We then say: "Give us the virus." They answer: "We can’t, it's dual-purpose." So we had to get the virus in a different way."

"What does “dual-purpose” mean?"

"You can make a vaccine... or the opposite of it."

This confirms implications from earlier statements by Russian and European officials that China does not care to share samples.

Edited by DDE