[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

15 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Breaking news from the Kerbin Admiralty about the "Disaster At Vall"

Following the disaster at Vall with KWS-1 "Oh Please Don't Explode", Lt Chad Kerman was given command of KWS-2 "Are We There Yet" and dispatched with minimum resources to the Jool system to rescue any surviving crew of KWS-1.

In a happy twist of fate, Capt Valentina was able to get the entire crew off of the ship before it exploded all across the landscape of Vall and kept them together in low orbit of Vall in hopes that their distress beacons would bring aid.

In spite of having no prior experience with Warp Ships, Lt Chad was able to maneuver the ship into an eccentric orbit around Vall with a dangerously close perigee - well inside the warp cutoff limit - and rescue the crew from KWS-1 and return to Kerbin.

In recognition of his skill and bravery in this rescue, Lt Chad was promoted to full Captain (5-star) and given permanent command of KWS-2 "Are We There Yet".

Having lost KWS-1 "Oh Please Don't Explode" and over 75% of the Kerbin graviolium supply, Captain Valentina was reduced in rank to Ensign (0-stars) and reassigned to Minmus, piloting a supply shuttle.  This over objection of some Kerbin Admiralty members who wanted to just "feed her to Jool".

What happened to Jeb?

1 hour ago, namreK haidebeJ said:

What happened to Jeb?

Jeb has been on a mission driving a gigantic rover half-way around the Mun.  He and his crew have arrived at the Neal Armstrong memorial and set up Armstrong Base.

The Kerbin Admiralty has a shortage of well qualified pilots but many consider Jeb perhaps a bit too... enthusiastic..  to be entrusted with a warp ship representing a large percentage of the KSP bank.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Jeb has been on a mission driving a gigantic rover half-way around the Mun.  He and his crew have arrived at the Neal Armstrong memorial and set up Armstrong Base.

The Kerbin Admiralty has a shortage of well qualified pilots but many consider Jeb perhaps a bit too... enthusiastic..  to be entrusted with a warp ship representing a large percentage of the KSP bank.

Makes sense. If he was allowed to fly one of those...well, let's just say he'd probably get stranded way farther out than Vall.

2 hours ago, namreK haidebeJ said:

Makes sense. If he was allowed to fly one of those...well, let's just say he'd probably get stranded way farther out than Vall.

And there are younger ones, eager for the opportunity to go where no Kerbal has gone before.  And not splash themselves and the ship across a whole planet.

Captain Chad and crew just returned in KWS-2 "Are We There Yet" from a mission near Sarnus to explore an unknown object that was being tracked.  It turned out to be an alien jump ring. 

There is great excitement in the science division of KSP and a follow-on mission is planned as soon as sufficiently trained engineers and scientists can be identified who will do more than "hit it with a hammer and see what happens".

Edited by Ooglak Kerman
add link to OPM

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 are the alien jump rings on rails?  This one definitively entered the SOI of Sarnus - yet was not adjusted in orbit.  I'd love to think I could maybe put a rope on it and tow it back to Kerbin.

In fact they are just like space anomalies, in that they're single-part craft that can be moved around.

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

In fact they are just like space anomalies, in that they're single-part craft that can be moved around.

Ok then.  Saddle up the warp tow-truck and lets see about dragging this thing back.  That should make an interesting mission.  Probably should finish off some just crazy lucrative tourist contracts first though.

From the Kerbin Admiralty: New Warp Ship Class

The successes of Captain Chad in command of KWS-2 "Are We There Yet" have led the Kirbin Admiralty to realize there is a supply chain problem for vital warp resources - namely chemical fuel , Xenon gas, and fusion pellets, and - once Jool orbital graviolium harvesting is in place - transfer of that vital resource.  And so the latest warp capable ship in the Kerbin fleet has been launched.  Warp Supply Ship WSS-42 "Please Sir Can I Have Some More" has been designed and built as a high capacity vessel with minimal warp capabilities to greatly shorten the warp resource supply chain between Kerbin and Minmus and Jool while limiting the consumption of those resources..

There being a considerable shortage of pilots with warp ship experience (exactly two), it was (grudgingly) decided to place this lead ship of the class in the command of Ensign Valentina.  Many in the Kerbin Admiralty still want to "just feed her to Jool" but the the necessities of the fleet must come first.

(edited)

On 3/1/2022 at 12:40 PM, Angel-125 said:

As far as I can tell you don't have Wild Blue Tools or Far Future Technologies installed. In my setup, I don't see the issues that you are. For now, you can delete Blueshift/Patchs/B9PS.cfg and see if that helps.

Didn't see this, I'll try it.

Edited by Kerbal Productions

From the Kerbin Admiralty: New Resource Opportunities

As the Kerbin Admiralty begins to ramp up production of more warp capable ships at the KSP, the Kerbin League of Smart Technologists have been arguing theories of whether it is possible for a warp ship to conduct a warp rendezvous with an object in a highly eccentric orbit.  It is known from the exploits of Captain Chad in KWS-2 "Are We There Yet" that orbits around stars, planets and moons are easily and quickly achieved and that warp rendezvous with ships orbiting them can be done with proper planning.  When asked about the probability of success, the spokes-kerbal for the League Of Smart Technologists replied "we are not sure - we do not know the way"

To test these theories, Ensign Valentina was taken off of supply shuttle duty and after stripping the ship to the minimum resources for the mission, dispatched in WSS-42 "Please Sir Can I Have Some More" to attempt a warp rendezvous with a large class-E asteroid in an inclined and eccentric orbit of Kerbol and nearly 500,000 kilometers from Kerbin.  This mission appealed to those in the Admiralty who wanted to just "feed her to Jool" after the KWS-1 disaster since if she smashed into the asteroid it would likely yield interesting science and become "problem solved".

Setting out on the mission, Ensign Valentina was indeed able to warp rendezvous with the targeted asteroid, perform a cursory survey and return to Kerbin orbit in under 1 hour.

This ease of asteroid rendezvous means that the mining of asteroids for vital warp resources is now feasible and resource effective with the ability to return resources to Kerbin in hours rather than months or years.  The as-yet unnamed lead ship of the new warp capable asteroid mining ship class is under construction and will soon be dispatched.  There is also discussion about bringing Jeb back from his Mun mission at Armstrong Base to pilot a new warp capable resource survey ship.

There is great excitement with these developments at the Kerbin League Of Smart Technologists and in reply to a query of what this will mean for all Kerbal-kind the spokes-Kerbal replied "we are not sure - we do not know the way".  It was added that "we do wonder if it is possible for a warp ship to tow an asteroid.....  but... we are not sure......"

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

The yet unnamed warp capable asteroid mining ship currently under construction.  Soon to be launched and commissioned.

Massive storage for warp resources.   1100 graviolium 1600 fusion pellets 4800 xenon gas.
Space for 2 crew members - pilot and engineer. 
Able to make its own resources as needed with the micro ISRU
S2 "Planets Edge" Warp Core
S2 Warp Coil
Capable of about .2C at full load.

xPDoLIy.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Image of KWS-1 "Oh Please Don't Explode" in carrying capacity tests before the final mission where it exploded all across Vall.  3 very long range relay satellites carried with ease.  Warp resource capacity for very extended mission duration without resupply.  KWS-2 "Are We There Yet" is the second of this class but with uprated comms for Outer Planets and Interstellar operations.

• MK-3 command pod and PPD-10 Hitchhiker for crew capacity of 7
  • RCS tank and plasma contactor module to handle static charge
  • S3 "Star Frontiers" Warp Engine
  • RA-100 comms dishes
  • Liquid fuel/Oxy tank/engines for in system maneuvering (fat lot of good that did)
  • 8 total docking ports
  • 6 gigantor solar arrays and 4 fuel cell arrays for auxiliary power
  • 5C top speed interplanetary with no load
  • Kerbin - Jool - Kerbin in 10 minutes

zowSt0u.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

3 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Liquid fuel/Oxy tank/engines for in system maneuvering (fat lot of good that did)

You do not want to lean on ye olde chem engines for a warp ship. I highly recommend you find a mod for fusion rockets, or try those nice cone-shaped gravitic engines in Angel's Kerbal Flying Saucers. The "GND" series. Pics here:

25 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You do not want to lean on ye olde chem engines for a warp ship. I highly recommend you find a mod for fusion rockets, or try those nice cone-shaped gravitic engines in Angel's Kerbal Flying Saucers. The "GND" series. Pics here:

@JadeOfMaar the League Of Smart Technologists at Kerbin have come to the exact conclusion you suggest.  Experiments with gravatic engines are in progress, but when asked about progress in this realm of research the lead spokes-Kerbal for the League Of Smart Technologists responded (predictably) "we are not sure.  we do not know the way".  They do add, "we wish that it might be possible for @JadeOfMaar to come assist us in our search for the way"

There is also the matter that the Kerbin Admiralty currently has a serious shortage of pilots at any level.  Lt(jg) Jeb is being recalled from his mission at Armstrong Station on the Mun and most orbital stations are being decommissioned and pilots and other crew recalled.

The warp capable scout ship to which Lt(jg) Jeb will be assigned has been assigned a hull number and name appropriate to the task.  Warp Scout WS-8675309 "Hold Mah Beer".  There were many raised eyebrows in the Kerbin Admiralty and all they could say is "yeah... Jeb".  Both Bill and Bob are being recalled to Kerbin to pair up with Jeb on this mission - given they tend to be the only ones who can keep him on an even keel.  The commissioning voyage of this ship should be "interesting".

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Jeb and Bill saying goodbye to Armstrong Station before heading back to Kerbin and warp adventures.  The rover is showing the results of Jeb's "enthusiasm".

tDbnXSp.png?1

Jeb showing that he's still got it.  What he's got remains to be seen.  The Kerbin Admiralty is cautiously optimistic.

Zi3Z3qn.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Jeb, Bill, and Bob back together at the KSP after a couple long years on various missions.  Having a look at the new class Warp Scout ship WS-8675309 "Hold Mah Beer" at initial launch pad tests.

Jeb: ditch those butane lighters.  I want that new gravatic engine
Bill: Umm..  those "butane lighters" are tried and true. You've never even seen the gravatic engine
Bob: I'm gonna die - aren't I?

RTvcVXR.png

Initial tests of the new uprated comms antennas.

Jeb:  Cool!  Now I can still play Earth Space Program all the way out at Jool or Sarnus.  The butane lighters go though.  Gimme the gravatic.
Bill: I'll be out fixing those huge things a lot.  I've heard good things about the mini-ISRU though.  We gonna grind us up some asteroid!
Bob:  We're just gonna explode, aren't we?

OBxNteo.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Initial tests of the gravatic engine.  Several hops to increasing altitude and back to the pad - culminating in 250m.

Jeb, Bill and Bob now need to go on a training mission with Captain Chad in KWS-2 "Are We There Yet" to learn about the warp engines.  When informed of this mission, Captain Chad had this to say...
"Jeb?  Not IN my ship"

JEUEKw9.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

On 3/8/2022 at 8:35 PM, Ooglak Kerman said:

Initial tests of the gravatic engine.  Several hops to increasing altitude and back to the pad - culminating in 250m.

Jeb, Bill and Bob now need to go on a training mission with Captain Chad in KWS-2 "Are We There Yet" to learn about the warp engines.  When informed of this mission, Captain Chad had this to say...
"Jeb?  Not IN my ship"

JEUEKw9.png

Ooglak, have you considered writing your own thread in the MIssion Reports forum? Your story is interesting!

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/51-mission-reports/

40 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Ooglak, have you considered writing your own thread in the MIssion Reports forum? Your story is interesting!

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/51-mission-reports/

@theonegalen I've discussed this with @Angel-125 and as long as he is good with my postings on his forum, I'm happy to showcase his mods with my story line.  My posts are all about the WildBlueIndustries mods - with a smattering of OPM and GU tossed in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The crew shuttle docked up with KWS-2 "Are We There Yet" in preparation for a mission to the Jool system and to the Sarnus system for warp systems training.

Captain Chad: Lieutenant (junior grade) Jeb....
Jeb:  Chad...
Captain Chad: Mmmm..????
Jeb: <mutter> Captain Chad..Sir...  permission to come aboard with my crew
Captain Chad:  permission <provisionally> granted
Jeb:  <looks around> umm..  a bit cramped.  Where do I sit?

9h7wLzP.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Captain Chad:  Well Jeb.  We have a seat set aside just for you.  Once we are interplanetary, I'll transfer the helm to your station.  You are to take us into the Jool system and into orbit around Laythe.  Questions?
Jeb: Yeahhhh!  Bring it bro!!
Captain Chad:  Mmm... What was that Lieutenant - (junior grade)????
Jeb: <mutter>  Yes, sir.  Captain Chad.
Captain Chad:  You will be limited to .5C
Jeb: <mutter>

KLqGXEe.png

11 minutes later......

Jeb: Boo Yah!!  Gimme that warp drive lovin!!!
Captain Chad:  Huhhhhhhh

QM5kQr5.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

10 more minutes..  Orbit around Tekto in the Sarnus system

Jeb:  Bwaaahahahaha... E-Ticket!!!   I'll be getting warp drive and gravatic.  Look out galaxy - here comes Jeb!!!
Captain Chad: This can't go well

xcYVHKy.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

@Angel-125 I've found a bit of an issue that appears to fall between KFS and Blueshift. 
I'm on KFS 0.6.8  When I activate the gravatic engine either with the space bar or clicking on it and activating and then shutting down the GND_01, and then activating the warp engine, the warp engine gripes about not enough warp capacity and flames out.   I've got a S-2 Warp Core and S-2 Warp Coil.

As long as the GND-01 has not been activated, the warp engine will work just fine.  Interestingly, the auto-circularization function of the warp engine is unaffected.

I've confirmed this issue to exist with the S-2 Warp Core and S-3-2 Warp Ring as well.  Am I missing something again?

Edited by Ooglak Kerman