Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

The radiation on Io's surface is about 36 Sv/day.

This is comparable to being briefly exposed to an unshielded fission chain reaction at an arm's length, give or take (15 Sv to 100 Sv depending on the incident). Needless to say, this would be utterly fatal - bad enough to literally scramble all your chromosomes.

Edited by DDE

0.5 rad/yr = 0.005 Sv/yr is allowed for the civil population.

(36 * 365 / 0.005) ~= 2.6 mln times.

ln(2.6*106)/ln(2) ~= 21.3 half value layers

So, 22 half balue layers is required to live on Io.

Idk, what's the composition of the primary radiation on Io, but probably mostly protons, as it's a radiation belt.
So, the main radiation behind the wall is secondary gamma released on the proton absorbtion.

The half value layer for gamma is ~2 cm for lead and ~3 cm for steel.

So, it's a 65 cm thick steel wall.

Gravity acceleration ~1.8 m/s2 ~= 0.18 of normal.

So, the 65 cm thick steel roof on Io weights like a 12 cm thick one on the Earth.

Looks completely buildable. Just we need to bring the steel from the closest iron asteroid by ion engines.

The advantage is electricity for free, from the orbitial powerplants (and maybe just even from long wires).

Also  they can just cover it with 2 meters of ground.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 minutes ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

On that note, over here it is common for people to steal (or try to steal) copper power lines. As you can imagine, many do not stay copper theives (or at least living ones) for long.

There's also the problem of transformer oil theft. Most of such publications refer to Africa.

Edited by DDE

3 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

common for people to steal (or try to steal) copper power lines.

One of the first big cases I worked on was the unfortunate death of a 14 year old who lived adjacent to a rail line.  Wire thieves had stolen a length of old, low power copper telegraph line.  The remaining section had drooped across a high power line on one end and the other was lying on the ground in tall grass on the steep slope behind the kid's house. 

He went to get a basketball.  Slipped coming up the hill and his hand wrapped around the wire.  4 kids were burned trying to free him. 

"Alternating current, unlike direct current, causes our muscles to contract that is why it is common in witness accounts who observed an electrocution to report that the victim’s body became frozen. The victim’s hands and forearms also form an iron like grip. So, if the victim grabbed a live wire, the victim would not be able to let go"

(Not really a fun fact - but related to the current discussion) 

On 1/8/2022 at 7:03 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

In 2017, a 10m-long Soviet-era anti-aircraft missile exploded at a recycling centre, apparently after being sold for scrap

8o

Well this looks like an rocket so perhaps we should be a bit careful around it. Even if decommissioned it could still be stuff like pressurization tanks and separators who is dangerous. 
But people has used aircraft bombs as pillars and artillery shells as anvils, later has happened multiple times as in why? 

My favorite has to go to the last victims of the US civil war, it was early this century, some fools used an angle grinder on an old civil war black powder filled cannon ball, why? 

6 hours ago, DDE said:

Nevertheless, as the authors argue, this is an important area of research, since belief in astrology may be correlated with belief in other pseudosciences and even conspiracy theories.

This is interesting, because at least here in the US, there is a strong (perhaps stereotypical) belief that people with such views, i.e., conspiracy theorists, religious fundamentalists, cryptozoologists, ufologists, etc., tend to be pretty horrible people and thus often become involved in crimes associated with narcissism, like abuse.

7 hours ago, DDE said:

the-surprising-link-between-narcissism-and-belief-in-astrology

The surprising link between the football watching and the size of the beer belly.

The surprising link between the time spent in toilet with a magazine and awareness of the current fashion/politics/sports.

A wide open field for the psychologist career.

Like in that old joke

V.I.: Hi, F. What are you doing?
F.: Reading the book about psychology.
V.I.: What's that?
F.: Well... Look. Do you smoke?
V.I.: Yes, of course.
F.: So, as you smoke, you also drink?
V.I.: Certainly.
F.: So, as you drink, you also run around after women?
V.I. For sure.
F.:So, as you run around after women, your man health is okay.
V.I.: That's great! Psychology is actually a science!

(An hour later, V.I. meets P.).
V.I. Hi, P.! F. just explained me about the psychology! Do you want to see?
P.: Okay.
V.I.: Look. Do you smoke?
P.: No.
V.I.: Meh... So, and your man health is poor...

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

This is interesting, because at least here in the US, there is a strong (perhaps stereotypical) belief that people with such views, i.e., conspiracy theorists, religious fundamentalists, cryptozoologists, ufologists, etc., tend to be pretty horrible people and thus often become involved in crimes associated with narcissism, like abuse.

Yeah, the authors seem to exercise excessive caution. I've seen research elsewhere that, predictably, belief in conspiracy theories and related cookery correlates with belief in other cookery, even to the point of believing in multiple contradicting conspiracy theories - and ego-stroking is one motivation of conspirologists. Combine that with the known greater occurence of crime among lower-intelligence individuals, and you do have a validation of most such stereotypes.

As the whole history of the humankind shows, the most "teachable", possessable, manipulatable, herdable, and conspiracy-driven persons are exactly the opposite to the "narcissism".

Because while the "narcissism" is just an extreme case of personal identity, the human herd is made of those who count themselves as nothing, because someone another always knows better.

Science supports your hatred for PowerPoint presentations 

https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/science-just-discovered-your-brain-really-hates-powerpoint.html

(hint: if you absolutely have to use PP during a talk / brief - don't put words on the screen: images and videos are much more powerful if you are presenting verbally)