Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Bu-bu-but it has a propeller at the back - CLEARLY a submarine!

Welp, you made me.

Fun fact: the Reid Flying Submarine 1... did both of the things its name claimed. Poorly, but not bad for a garage tinkerer.

6559.jpg

Edited by DDE

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Fun fact: of the 204 replies to this thread (excluding this post, the 205th), approximately 60 of them are military or weapon related.

About half a year ago someone on this forum wondered about the overlap between space enthusiasts and "militarists".

...and it's not that I've been overloading myself with military-related content, for example. It's all been work and mostly Cities: Skylines.

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

What a genderism.

2 m vs 1 f, and the only woman is a housewife with a pan.

Never mind the -ism, not sure about the Roman version, but Hera is probably one of the most cheated-on women in all of the world's mythology.

23 hours ago, DDE said:

About half a year ago someone on this forum wondered about the overlap between space enthusiasts and "militarists".

That was actually me lol. I don't have a problem with it, I just find the correlation between civilian and military on the internet interesting from a sort-of-anthropological perspective.

15 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Quoth the resident 'nuclear war guy' :D

In my defence, in "real life" physicists (and thus scientists) often are responsible for nuclear targeting or heavily involved in developing the doctrine for such weapons, due to their advanced nature.

An example of this I have been having fun reading about recently is how many a military related official in the 60s said "we need nukes in 'Nam now" but the scientists and civilian analysts said "not only would that be politically and morally disastrous, it wouldn't even be militarily effective".

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Is she holding a frying pan to hit him with? 

(sorry not up on the mythology) 

It is probably a scepter. The Lego piece itself is officially a magnifying glass though.

NASA began production work on four units of the Apollo Lunar Mapping and Survey System.

1737d.jpg

It was a [redacted] based on [redacted] borrowed from [redacted], and owing of the success of the Lunar Orbiter thanks to [redacted], it never became necessary.

Why not? The 1F platform (the Phoboses) is based on E-8's KT landing-transfer platform посадочно-перелётная платформа КТ and Frigate upper stage.

Good classics never dies.

And somebody didn't believe that Saturnian tech was scrapped for reasons.

(Let alone R-7  &  7K, of course.

And there is still Proton not forgotten.)

Brazil also is fond of moonshine aircraft engines not j4lulz.

The water towers for steam locomotives still exist on their places.

One survey has counted 54 various monuments marking the boundary of Europe and Asia in Russia. Almost all of them are in the wrong place, some of them are 'duplicates' located on the same road, and almost all of them have their own supporters.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2588910?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fzen.yandex.com

On 1/30/2022 at 8:10 AM, kerbiloid said:

And somebody didn't believe that Saturnian tech was scrapped for reasons.

Circumstance is not evidence.

It should be noted though that if we use such logic, the Hubble Space Telescope, the coming Xiantun space telescope (and by extension, the crewed Tiangong space station) and many (if not all) civilian Earth observation satellites automatically become valid ASAT targets.

Just now, Admiral Fluffy said:

Today (In america) is the 2nd day in the 2nd month in the 2nd year in the 2nd decade in the 2nd millennium.

And the groundhog we use to predict whether or not our winter will last six more weeks on groundhog day died...  Right before we are expecting the ice storm of the century, or so NOAA is saying...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-jersey-towns-famous-groundhog-milltown-mel-dies-days-before-big-event/ar-AAToCyx?ocid=uxbndlbing

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/weather/winter-storm-ice-snow-midwest-south-northeast/index.html

Maybe this winter storm scared the life out of the groundhog...

23 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Today (In america) is the 2nd day in the 2nd month in the 2nd year in the 2nd decade in the 2nd millennium.

many years ago, in countries that put the day before the month, we had 23/4/56. I am old enough to remember it!