Poll: When are you going to buy KSP2

GigFiz

When are you going to get KSP2?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. The long awaited day is nearly upon us. So tell us...what will you do?

• Day one, no question
    • Buying day one, but might wait to play it
    • Waiting for 1.0. Not interested in early access, or I want it to be the complete and polished experience when I play for the first time
    • Wait and see, depending on reviews and forum feedback
    • I don't want to deal with lots of bugs and performance issues; it will depend on stability and optimization
    • I'm really interested in a specific spot in the roadmap, and will start when that is reached
    • Waiting to see if I can run it
    • It will depend on the amount of spare time and/or money I have available

1 hour ago, Ashandalar said:

This is my thinking as well. I'm almost certainly going to be buying on day one for Linux, and if for whatever reason it doesn't run in Proton immediately, I'll be among those trying to find workarounds. If that fails, KSP2 is one of the very few titles I'm willing to run a Windows VM (with GPU passthrough) for.

There will definitely be some way of running the game on Linux and possibly even OSX even if there is no official support.

I'll be getting the game day one for playing on my Windows machine, but I have a Steam Deck, which I don't think will run the game well, but should at least be a good way to see how the Proton manages it. So I can at least give you all a heads up on "starts/doesn't start" right away.

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I will be utterly shocked if KSP2 doesn't work perfectly in Proton/Wine.

That is an option.  Not sure I want yet another configuration to maintain.  Does wine still require a Windows install for some drivers and other stuff?  It has been a long time

Just now, darthgently said:

That is an option.  Not sure I want yet another configuration to maintain.  Does wine still require a Windows install for some drivers and other stuff?  It has been a long time

To my knowledge it has never required that.

Proton is built into steam, and in my experience recently is essentially plug and play.  I don't even bother to check if games on steam are Windows only or not anymore.  If I want them I buy them.  I can't even recall the last time a Windows only game didn't work in Proton.  I don't have much recent experience running WINE separately since I buy all my games through Steam now... which steam will also let you add external games and run them with proton.  Valve has been dumping a ton of development into Proton, probably because of the Steamdeck and it's actually profitable to do so now.

The worst thing I've had to do lately is try 2 or 3 different proton versions to get a game to run / run better, and maybe a launch option or two as suggested on protondb.

Just now, Geonovast said:

To my knowledge it has never required that.

Proton is built into steam, and in my experience recently is essentially plug and play.  I don't even bother to check if games on steam are Windows only or not anymore.  If I want them I buy them.  I can't even recall the last time a Windows only game didn't work in Proton.  I don't have much recent experience running WINE separately since I buy all my games through Steam now... which steam will also let you add external games and run them with proton.  Valve has been dumping a ton of development into Proton, probably because of the Steamdeck and it's actually profitable to do so now.

The worst thing I've had to do lately is try 2 or 3 different proton versions to get a game to run / run better, and maybe a launch option or two as suggested on protondb.

Do you have a Windows install on the drive?  Wine used to leverage the proprietary drivers in the windows partition.  This was long ago.  Like maybe 15+ years?  Can't recall

22 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Do you have a Windows install on the drive?  Wine used to leverage the proprietary drivers in the windows partition.  This was long ago.  Like maybe 15+ years?  Can't recall

No Windows at all.

Running Linux shouldn't prevent you from playing KSP2 at all unless you refuse to use a compatibility layer.  (This is an educated guess, I'm not exaggerating that I would be shocked if KSP2 doesn't work in it).

Steam also has a < 2 hours played, < 2 weeks owned no questions asked return policy.  If it doesn't run or doesn't run to your satisfaction, you can just return it.

1 hour ago, shelshok said:

I'll jump on it once it seems there is the ability to start a science-based career and get updates that won't require me starting that career over.

I'm leaning toward this, except I don't mind starting over with a new career. I'd probably do it anyway with each update if my past play loop is any indication.

The moment I can.

Early access is a long tradition of KSP that built one of the greatest games ever made. I will enjoy being there for the entire ride.

I will likely delete all saves the moment science progression is added, and that probably wont be the last time. But in the sandbox it will be interesting to try different approaches learning the new systems and UI along the way. 

Edited by DwightLee

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

No Windows at all.

Running Linux shouldn't prevent you from playing KSP2 at all unless you refuse to use a compatibility layer.  (This is an educated guess, I'm not exaggerating that I would be shocked if KSP2 doesn't work in it).

Steam also has a < 2 hours played, < 2 weeks owned no questions asked return policy.  If it doesn't run or doesn't run to your satisfaction, you can just return it.

Good to know.  Wine has come a long way, I should, in an ideal world, have been paying better attention.  Thanks for the education

Edited by darthgently

14 hours ago, K^2 said:

You generally shouldn't preorder games. It's one of these things that only helps corporate numbers, pretty much never impacts what the developers are getting out of it, and can actually harm development, because it results in the marketing for the game happening early, and a lot of developers are pulled from their work to provide footage and screenshots for marketing in the best case or working on preorder bonuses or even early beta when the developers should really be polishing the game and creating good day-one experience.

As a game dev, I would much rather see people wait for day one to buy the games. If I'm getting a bonus from sales, a day one sale is as good as a pre-order, and if nobody preorders, I can spend more time making the game better for that first day. There's not going to be a shortage when the game releases if you're getting it digital. And you can even have a short window for a refund if it's bad. (At least, on Steam.) Get the game day one, keep it if it's as good as you expected, and don't participate in corporate's charade.

Well, that's me told! :D

Seriously though, I have no reason not to believe what you say, so I shall do as you say from now on.

No questions asked day one from me, even if it won't get a lot of play initially. I am disappointed about lack of science day one, but beyond that, I'm excited to see the possibilities. I have 'most' of the planned KSP2 features in my current heavily modded KSP1 run, but what I don't have is them all easily accessible and well integrated. A lot of stuff is janky or workarounds, its laggy, its prone to quirks and erratic behavior, and a lot of aspects just don't acknowledge each other very well, if at all.

KSP2 offering me the possibility of that being fixed, is alone enough to bring be onboard day one. I 'could' wait for updates, but I also know I want to mess around in the new Kerbal system and with the new VAB before having actual stakes to anything I do. So no reason to wait, and if I get bored, I'll mod, either my own or whatever else someone makes.

On 2/14/2023 at 2:22 AM, K^2 said:

I have a Steam Deck, which I don't think will run the game well, but should at least be a good way to see how the Proton manages it. So I can at least give you all a heads up on "starts/doesn't start" right away.

That is going to be an interesting experiment for sure, I hope it works, I'd like to at least being able to design ships from my Deck.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:01 AM, K^2 said:

As a game dev, I would much rather see people wait for day one to buy the games. If I'm getting a bonus from sales, a day one sale is as good as a pre-order, and if nobody preorders, I can spend more time making the game better for that first day.

For me pre-order (the couple of times I did it) is more of a "pre-load" thing, it's more about being able to play at D1 if the game is big than ordering it 2 months before the actual release date.

7 minutes ago, wefightforpeace said:

Designing the vehicle on Deck and flying it at home sounds like a spectacularly addicting possibility.

Cloud saves in sync with my PC was one of the main reasons I've bought a SteamDeck to replace my Switch (along with not having to pay for games twice).

20 minutes ago, Master39 said:

That is going to be an interesting experiment for sure, I hope it works, I'd like to at least being able to design ships from my Deck.

I don't think it would be too much of a problem. I've managed to get some demanding games to run on my deck.

If I had not yet upgraded my GPU to what it is now, I'd be in the "waiting to see if I can run it" camp.

However, my CPU is an i7-9700k running at 4.6GHz all-core, I have 32GB of DDR4-3200mhz (cl 14-14-14-34, which is better than most 3200mhz ddr4), and I have an RTX 3070 Ti (that I'm pretty sure I bought off a scalper, but I prefer that to the option of giving NewEgg my money).

No question that I'll be able to run the game on day 1. And so my plan is to attempt to run the game, on day one.
I have other games I can play if that doesn't work out, but I won't be as happy playing those.

However, I do have MANY questions about if I'll be able to run the game at native resolution on my 4k 144hz monitor that I just got for Christmas.
Actually on second thought, I don't have many questions. I will almost certainly not be able to maintain a reasonable framerate at those resolutions.
However 4K gaming is on the rise, and I would be SHOCKED if the game had problems running at 4K other than the obvious framerate issues.

If not, I'll still be able to get up to 144 fps at 1080p no problem, and I've played many games like that before.
In fact, due to issues with DPI scaling, I run KSP 1 at 1080p, because I already need glasses to see correctly, and I don't like having to look at tiny text in the MechJeb info windows (I've messed with UI scaling both in MechJeb and in KSP's settings, and I haven't been able to fix the tiny text on the Map view orbit info you get when you hover over the AP or Pe or the An/Dn, so I just stick with 1080p where everything's nice and readable).

I just hope that this game supports things like DLSS, that way I might be able to run the game at an "internal" resolution of 1080p but then have it DLSS upscale it to 4K to better display on my monitor.

KSP 2 would also be a good candidate to use RTX features (for instance to simulate the back-scatter lighting caused by light hitting the terrain first and then being scattered on to the craft, and from there to the camera), but it should be fully fleshed out without the RTX features of course. I sure hope that's not why they require a minimum spec of an RTX 2060.

Edited by SciMan

11 hours ago, SciMan said:

However, my CPU is an i7-9700k running at 4.6GHz all-core, I have 32GB of DDR4-3200mhz (cl 14-14-14-34, which is better than most 3200mhz ddr4), and I have an RTX 3070 Ti (that I'm pretty sure I bought off a scalper, but I prefer that to the option of giving NewEgg my money).

No question that I'll be able to run the game on day 1. And so my plan is to attempt to run the game, on day one.
I have other games I can play if that doesn't work out, but I won't be as happy playing those.

However, I do have MANY questions about if I'll be able to run the game at native resolution on my 4k 144hz monitor that I just got for Christmas.

3070 Ti means that you have to question if you're able to run games at 4k 144hz with basically every game.

I was eyeing the base 3070 for months, then I notices the 6800xt at a lower average price and I snagged one of those instead, and went with 1440p for the monitor, for a 27" 4K doesn't make sense and it wouldn't even use it for most games (I don't want to change the GPU every couple of years to chase the ghost of 4k).

Absolutely buying at day one, here it should be available from 3PM, as soon as I come back home from work.
And I hope to start the first run after dinner if the download will be completed (with my 30Mb/s internet connection)

I'm ready to fail harder :lol:

As much as I love KSP, I am just too skeptical of a gamer when it comes to purchases. Genuinely, the only game in my life that I actually did pre-order was God of War Ragnarok, and even then it took a lot of self-convincing to splash out 70 euros. To be fair, it was totally worth it, but I think I'm gonna wait out for the first opinions/reviews of KSP2, and if it's alright - instant buy :ph34r:

Probably not gonna touch it until full release. Judging by the existence of a roadmap (which by itself nowadays acts as a carrot on a stick suggestion of future progress, usually shown when there's nothing else there to show) and its contents, it's still unfinished after 5(?) years of development, isn't going to be finished any time soon, and may get dropped without prior notice at any time if higher-ups at T2 decide that it doesn't bring enough profit.

Will purchase day one after work, hopefully it won’t take too long to download. Then I can spend one glorious Friday night pretending my body can handle staying up to unreasonably early hours without feeling like I’ve been run over by a truck the following morning.  (Oh to the have the invincibility of a teenager again)