KSP2 Wiki?

mattihase

The KSP wiki has for years been a great source of information on KSP1, and is amazing and doesn't use fandom/wikia which gives it a lot of points in my books.

AFAIK there doesn't seem to be a KSP2 wiki set up yet. Does anyone know if there's anything in the works regarding that? There does seem to be attempts to include stuff from KSP2 in the KSP1 wiki but given all the changes to stuff in the game, and the fact that KSP2 and KSP1 are co-existing, I'm curious as to whether or not the original wiki will end up doubling for both or if KSP2 will be split off into its own site or subdomain?

21 minutes ago, DoctorKerman said:

But the question is, should we update preexisting pages with KSP 2 information? Could there be a infobox that states what game the information applies to? So many questions to answer,

No. KSP2 will need it's own wiki. Granted, the planets and moons in the Kerbol system will technically be the same, there will be enough changes to warrant a new wiki. If you add all the stat changes for the "old" KSP1 parts and the new parts introduced, you'll have a huge confusing mess on your hands.

Sequel game wikis seem to be a pretty un-standardized activity. If I recall, God of War and Assassin's Creed are usually referenced as examples of "good" franchise wiki-ing. The Horizon games just packed both games into one wiki rather than making a new one...common elements just had two sections. But overall agreed, KSP2 needs a wiki. The interesting part is that the KSP wiki is not hosted on Fandom...it's an official wiki that's populated by the community. So will they make a wiki.kerbalspaceprogram2.com website? I don't know much about wiki backends and what kind of headaches get caused by trying to cram two branching wikis on one base portal.

• 3 weeks later...

There is an inofficial fandom that acts as a wiki:

https://kerbal-space-program-2.fandom.com/f

If you want to, you can help us; it’s hella incomplete, we are working hard to make it usable. It is less broken than the new pages on the official KSP wiki about KSP 2, though.

Edited by Hytaler

• Community Manager

We're working on the backend to transition the current KSP wiki to a new host. It'll still be community-run and built on top of MediaWiki, and all of the work in building the current KSP wiki will be maintained. 

We wanted to give more attention to the wiki prior to the Early Access release but it fell pretty fast on our priority list so now we're catching up. We'd really prefer if the community solution continues the work done by all of the contributors to the KSP1 wiki and not splinter off into its own wiki.

I'll give more of an update when I have one, but we're looking to get this wrapped up ASAP so the wiki can be built out with all the new info!

Edited by Dakota
grammar

11 minutes ago, Dakota said:

We'd really prefer if the community solution continues the work done by all of the contributors to the KSP1 wiki and not splinter off into it's own wiki.

I wouldn't worry about that. No matter how well populated a splinter wiki, if the KSP2 wiki is ANYTHING like the KSP1 wiki, it will quickly dominate if for no other reason than not being full of ads and suggestions for other games' pages.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

it will be outdated for months or even years after updates.

Wait, I said that out loud?

:D

I never noticed that, though. Generally I guess I never needed to know anything "recent" from it, just planet stats or what tech node a part was in, and can't recall any of that ever being wrong.

The pages being twice as long isn't bad if you have an on-page-load-collapsed dropdown of "KSP1 Game Data" and an on-page-load-opened dropdown of "KSP2 Game Data". That way pages default to KSP2 data, but pages that have KSP1 data can have it there but be unobtrusive. I've seen that work on game wikis but I can't for the life of me remember where.

On 3/23/2023 at 1:18 AM, Dakota said:

We're working on the backend to transition the current KSP wiki to a new host. It'll still be community-run and built on top of MediaWiki, and all of the work in building the current KSP wiki will be maintained. 

We wanted to give more attention to the wiki prior to the Early Access release but it fell pretty fast on our priority list so now we're catching up. We'd really prefer if the community solution continues the work done by all of the contributors to the KSP1 wiki and not splinter off into its own wiki.

I'll give more of an update when I have one, but we're looking to get this wrapped up ASAP so the wiki can be built out with all the new info!

I don't really understand, do you mean that we'll still use the same wiki and the old info will be ditched, or that a new wiki will be created?

• Community Manager
18 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I don't really understand, do you mean that we'll still use the same wiki and the old info will be ditched, or that a new wiki will be created?

All of the old pages will be ported to a new MediaWiki instance and given a visual refresh.

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

All of the old pages will be ported to a new MediaWiki instance and given a visual refresh.

So, if I understand correctly, a new wiki will be created, and all pages in the current wiki will be put there, and then the original wiki will be used for KSP2?

If it's the case, then I suggest KSP2 pages to be put in a new wiki, and letting the current one as it is, as if the domain name is changed it will break quite a lot of links.

I think you're trying to make it more complicated than it ever has to be.

It still can be wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/KSP1/Kerbin and wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/KSP2/Kerbin on the same domain. Within the same wiki.

Or idk something like that.

Edited by The Aziz

As a member of the Trainz community (and if you dear reader are as well, I'm sure you'll agree) mixing content for different versions on a wiki is a VERY bad idea.

However it's segregated, the content needs to be partitioned one version from another.

Edited by tg626

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.